Thursday, July 19, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: KScruiser
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2034

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 92
Total: 92
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Charging System Light is on
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Charging System Light is on
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMACK2012
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Charging System Light is on Reply with quote

I have a 2008 with 65000 miles. When I started it today the charging system light came on and I noticed a whining noise coming from the engine bay. Turned off a/c, no change to whining noise. I'm thinking it is probably the alternator. Anything else I should be checking?

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging System Light is on Reply with quote

Maybe a belt too but alternator pulley seems likely. Free test at Pep boys will reveal if your alternator output is low or battery is bad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging System Light is on Reply with quote

Battery light on = no alternator output. Most likely culprit is worn brushes. Cheap and easy replacement. Do NOT replace entire alternator with a remaned unit from auto parts store. Unless you enjoy swapping it out regularly.

TLCA# 18990
ratfink
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Charging System Light is on Reply with quote

I just replaced my alternator a few weeks ago. I got it from Mearles auto parts. Remaned in the USA, it is a Denso for 147.00. Dealer wanted 439 for the same thing!

toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Charging System Light is on Reply with quote

ratfink wrote:
I just replaced my alternator a few weeks ago. I got it from Mearles auto parts. Remaned in the USA, it is a Denso for 147.00. Dealer wanted 439 for the same thing!

Not quite the "same thing". The case, field windings and armature are probably the only components that are Denso. Brushes, bearings and regulator assembly are most certainly not. Typically the only failure on these are worn brushes. I've seen just a couple bearing failures.

TLCA# 18990
AMACK2012
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Charging System Light is on Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track and that there was not a common gremlin, I wasn't aware of, possibly causing the light. I'll keep you posted.

ratfink
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging System Light is on Reply with quote

It was the bearings in mine that went out. The box said Denso, I'm happy with it. I wanted new, because that's the way I am but the dealer said they do not offer a new one only reman. figured I'd save 300 bucks.

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Charging System Light is on Reply with quote

toyo22r wrote:
...... Do NOT replace entire alternator with a remaned unit from auto parts store. Unless you enjoy swapping it out regularly.

not sure about the remaned comment.. but this thread I got myself a high output one:
azfj.org/index.php?nam...876#110876
5 years and still going strong on that one I am still running the same one.. no problems so far! I think Jimbolio runs one from company as well. this thread: azfj.org/index.php?nam...959#161959

and this fun discussion:
www.azfj.org/index.php...c&p=210073
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Charging System Light is on Reply with quote

About a year ago, I had mine fail and took it to Tucson Auto Electric, who farmed it out to Tucson Alternator exchange and completely rebuilt it. SO, I can't say it's been issue free but it has put out 130A (Tested at 152A when I picked it up) of power to my dual batteries/Winch.
I'm sure the extra juice has shortened my battery lives but hey, MORE POWER.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Charging System Light is on Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
About a year ago, I had mine fail a..

so about 3 years -- of abusive life I'm sure. Not terrible life span and you surely aren't pulling it out every 6 months which was eluded to by the doom and gloom post of buying re-manufactured alternators (though ours were new).

I guess we will get one data point for the NEXT time you have to rebuild it; if it lasts longer or shorter than when from new.

Mine only supports the normal accessories and a semi modified audio system.. but it has yet to fail me.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Charging System Light is on Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm running a fridge, numerous lighter plugs and USB holes, and two radios off mine.

AMACK2012
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging System Light is on Reply with quote

So, here's the update. I actually have a Lexus/Toyota extended warranty in effect and I was looking through the paperwork and I was shocked to find it covers the alternator. So, dropped it off at the dealership this morning and they confirmed it was the alternator and they are replacing it at a total cost of $0. Will be done tomorrow, part is coming in from LA.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging System Light is on Reply with quote

Well done sir!

AMACK2012
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging System Light is on Reply with quote

While the FJ was at the dealer getting the alternator replaced the tech said the water pump was leaking. Not sure how bad the water pump is leaking but it is being replaced under warranty as well. So, I now have the FJ back with a new (remanufactured) alternator and a new water pump.

spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Charging System Light is on Reply with quote

I had both of those done on my recently as well, but not under warranty. It wasn't cheap.

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: