Saturday, August 18, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Jsohne
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2046

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 93
Total: 93
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Need radio advise
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Need radio advise
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGGBrewer
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Need radio advise Reply with quote

Hey everyone!
I've searched through the forums and cannot find any real advice on cb or ham radio installs for the Fj. What do you think go for the ham or will a cb suffice? Which radio, antenna, etc? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Install instructions would be grand as well.

2010 Fj

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Need radio advise Reply with quote

You should do both
HAM radio

install thread

Search all "RADIO" threads for a ton of info

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
IGGBrewer
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need radio advise Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbolio

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need radio advise Reply with quote

The reason I say both is this:
Most folks on the trail will NOT be hams, You still would want to talk with them.

We elite radio snobs talk to each other on ham because A) clear as a bell B) reach is further.

For example,
I could talk to the 10 closest vehicles to me on CB during the 2015 Border run on CB. Scratchy but possible.

I could talk to the 1/2 way and Tail about 2 miles back clearly with my HAM 2meter radio.

Once I talked to zzmikey traveling on HWY 163 on the Navajo Res from 4 corners, a 45 mile simplex (Meaning no radio in between to repeat the signal). Was it scratchy? yes, did we recognize each other's call sign, you bet.

Now think about this for a minute. You are out on the trail, you break down, you need help, cell phone coverage is non existant. You could hit one of the many many repeaters in AZ and ask one of the hams for help.

This very scenario played out on the Rug road recently where a guy in a full sized dodge pickup, slid off the road and was hanging precariously off a shelf road. He was alone, but not really, he called in for help on a repeater on Mt. Lemmon and several hours later there was a phalanx of jeeps pulling him out of hot water.

CB would not have gone more than a mile or so.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need radio advise Reply with quote

I've since removed my CB setup. Contantly adjusting either the antenna or fighting bad connections and tired of piss poor performance and sound quality. A 2' rusty coat hanger for an antenna will still out perform the best CB setup.

You can get a Beofeng 8 watt handheld for less than $50. Get a good external antenna. Then as you wait to take your ham test you could still use this on FRS/GMRS/MURS frequencies without a license. It's FM and with 8W will have great range. Once you have your license you can officially use the ham bands.

TLCA# 18990
IGGBrewer
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need radio advise Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I was thinking just the ham, but fb makes sense too. I've started studying for the ham, but dont know if I'll be ready by the next close test. I like the idea of the all in one radio, I assume thats somewhat you're describing toyo?

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need radio advise Reply with quote

No a baofeng will not get CB reception

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: