Friday, April 27, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Membership:
Latest: charlezevanildo
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2008

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 89
Total: 89
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Sedona 6/24 to 6/25
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Sedona 6/24 to 6/25
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yellowmk2
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Sedona 6/24 to 6/25 Reply with quote

We are headed up to run some trails the weekend of the 24th. Anyone else interested in tagging along? Also, can anyone tell me what permits we need to get in advance?? Never wheeled up there before and just want to check it out. 4 Fj's going so far
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sedona 6/24 to 6/25 Reply with quote

Nice! Definitely get ahold of me when you have a more solid plan on what you're going to run & when. Nine 37 6 seven 1 - nine 84 two.

They most likely won't have the permit system up and running for Soldier Pass. As far as I know, the only other trail in the area that needs a permit is Casner Mountain - contact Michael Gordon - mjgordon @ fs.fed.us or 5 seven 5 five five 1 6 O three 3. They issue one permit per week which is good for any one day of that week. 3-10 vehicles.

If you're going for completion:
- Broken Arrow
- Greasy Spoon/Diamondback Gulch (same trail)
- Outlaw Trail
- Homestead Trail to the gate
- Dry Creek/Vultee Arch Road (also accesses Devil's Bridge hiking trailhead)
- Casner Mountain
- Schnebly Hill
Nearby (Cottonwood/Jerome):
- Mingus Mountain
- Smiley Rock

Are you staying at a hotel or camping?

I live right in Cottonwood and I'm in Sedona every day at work. Hope to meet up with you in a few weeks!

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedona 6/24 to 6/25 Reply with quote

What Daniel said-

If you are going to wheel Broken Arrow (which you must do if you are going to be in Sedona), do it early so you dont get stuck in all the pink jeep traffic. If you are on the trail by 8am you should be fine.
Or, you can do Broken Arrow late in the afternoon and time it with the sunset - the sun sets and cascades unbeleivable light and shadows on the red rocks - incredible photos and scenery.

I would also recommend going up Schnebly Hill and then doing the Hot Loop. only about a 2 hour trail (depending on how much exploring you do). A great trail to get out of the truck numerous times, hike the creek, go to the edge and take pics of spectacular views of the valley and the other side of Broken Arrow, Submarine, rock, etc...
If you time that trail right, you van get to Schnebly Hill Vista/Overlook right around sunset, which is a must see. Then head back down Schnebly into Sedona (if that is where you are staying).

Oakcreek Homestead is another good one where there isnt a lot of traffic and just outside of town. You can make it all the way to the creek and then walk around in the water and relax a bit for lunch.

if you dont have gpx's etc, they are all over the place and easy to find (including on this site, and/or just google them) so you can have maps, tracks, and waypoitns of the trails.

Let me or anyone know if you need any help getting around

Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedona 6/24 to 6/25 Reply with quote

Broken Arrow can be quite confusing the first time you go through it if you're trying to explore on your own. There are several forks, a couple spurs, and the trail loops around on itself. Pink Jeep traffic is a pain but they also make great "guides" to piggy back behind. The first time I ran Broken Arrow that was how I got through (just hang at the trailhead for a bit - their tours are scheduled on the hour from the plaza in Uptown, about 10-15 mins from the trail).

And the most recent time I ran Broken Arrow, I ended up stuck behind one. Sounds like a bummer but the people taking the Pink Jeep tour seemed more interested in watching my FJ than paying attention to the tour. It was fun having an audience!

If you do end up embarking without someone who knows the trail or a Pink Jeep to follow, just take every left past the little parking area - the first left is just a short fork to separate trail traffic, next left takes you up to Submarine Rock, next left out to Chicken Point (the "white line" will be up on your right when you get here), after the Chicken Point spur left again and follow the tire marks for a while. After "the steps" your next left puts you back on the first part of the trail. The final left you can take is a short spur to a sinkhole.

Yellowmk2
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedona 6/24 to 6/25 Reply with quote

Great, thanks for all the info guys. Yes, we are staying up there that Sat night at some hotel. We will either use Splagg or a pink jeep as our tour guide for broken arrow, lol. The main point of the trip is to get out of the heat and escape our wives and children for a couple days
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sedona 6/24 to 6/25 Reply with quote

You can't drive to oak creek anymore, there a gate about 1/4 mile from it. It keeps you off the only real 4x4 part.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Bliss
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sedona 6/24 to 6/25 Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
You can't drive to oak creek anymore, there a gate about 1/4 mile from it. It keeps you off the only real 4x4 part.

That's why he said "Homestead trail to the gate" Laughing

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sedona 6/24 to 6/25 Reply with quote

I was referring to this:
ZzMikey wrote:

Oakcreek Homestead is another good one where there isnt a lot of traffic and just outside of town. You can make it all the way to the creek and then walk around in the water and relax a bit for lunch.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Bliss
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sedona 6/24 to 6/25 Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
I was referring to this:
ZzMikey wrote:

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedona 6/24 to 6/25 Reply with quote

yes, but you can still WALK down to the creek after you come down the hill sir

Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedona 6/24 to 6/25 Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:

I'd say the descent on that hill just before the gate is the "real 4x4 part" of the trail. Past the gate there's a section of wash out running right down the middle of the trail but that's about it (that's most likely the reason for the gate being installed).

Dravur
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sedona 6/24 to 6/25 Reply with quote

I dont think I have anything going on that weekend, So, if you need another person familiar with those trails, let me know.
Yellowmk2
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedona 6/24 to 6/25 Reply with quote

You are more than welcome to come if you want. 3 of us wheel together frequently so anyone new might be fun lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: