Friday, June 23, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: KICKROCKS
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1942

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 35
Total: 36
Who Is Where:
 Members:
Hidden: 1
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Hummingbird Babies
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Hummingbird Babies
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TOY4WD
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Hummingbird Babies Reply with quote

I thought some of you might enjoy this so here you go... Smile

Around the third week of March every time I went out to clean out the pool baskets I was getting buzzed by a hummingbird. I didn't pay too much attention until I noticed she had started building a nest on a cheap strand of lights we have hanging on the back patio. She spent about a week working on building the nest. In that time I hung up a bird feeder next to the nest to try to help her out. Then next thing you know there are 2 little eggs in the nest. She sat on them for about 2 weeks until they hatched. I was very respectful of her space and did not climb the ladder to take pics if she was around. I never touched anything. I just snapped pics of this rare opportunity whenever I could. It has been cool watching this process take place on our back patio. The last 2 days the little ones have been practicing flapping their wings in the nest. I would say in less than a week they will be gone. I have been making my daughters cats stay inside since they started practicing flapping their wings. I would be super pissed if one of them happened to fall out of the nest and one of these ahole cats snagged it up. The cats get mad since we wont let them out and sit at the back door meowing like crazy. I made a spray bottle for them and they get the point now and the meowing has stopped.

Anyway here is a link explaining baby hummingbirds if interested and the pics I have managed to take. The last pic of them with their regular feathers was from tonight 5/4. And also a pic of said water bottle/cat deterrent. Laughing
www.worldofhummingbird...m/baby.php

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hummingbird Babies Reply with quote

Awesome! Next season set up webcam you'll get sponsorship by some top networks and company's you'll be rich! Very Happy

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hummingbird Babies Reply with quote

That's cool jake, they really grew fast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hummingbird Babies Reply with quote

The last house we lived in i got to experience the same thing. For the last couple days momma left and never came back on day 2 in the morning enjoying my morning coffe 1 of them flew right up to my face for a couple seconds and then flew away.
Kinda like saying bye....

Awesome experience that i will always remember.

Great pics.

azfj owners are the best
Maltajo
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hummingbird Babies Reply with quote

Awesome!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Gone2Baja
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hummingbird Babies Reply with quote

Wow, very cool!
AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hummingbird Babies Reply with quote

That is very cool. I like to cater to hummers around here but I've never seen them build a nest in the open like that. Except for the possibility of a heated nest I wonder why she would do it. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: