Tuesday, October 24, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: mountaineer09
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1980

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 34
Total: 34
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pack-smart
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Reply with quote

I remember this book from English class in 9th grade circa 1985.

RIP sir. 4/24/17. 88 years.

His definition of "Quality", is very well said.

We love FJ's, but not what we mean.

Rolling Eyes
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Reply with quote

well if you are not familiar with the book

www.bartneck.de/projec...ig/zen.pdf

or

www.arvindguptatoys.co...rcycle.pdf

as to why it was randomly mentioned here.. not sure.
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Reply with quote

The author passed yesterday. It was mentioned on NPR.

It was an interesting book, but not, in my opinion, for the reasons that the author intended. He intended to write a story about how he, as the main character, explored the idea of "quality" as a sort of quasi-philosophical concept. He grafted this story of introspective exploration onto an externalized story about riding his motorcycle over the mountains with his son on the back. The two stories were designed to run parallel. As he mentally ascended to the heights of abstraction, he journeyed farther into the mountains and over to the other side.

The real story, though, was of a man who was so preoccupied with his puzzle that he completely ignored his son, who was in obvious agony for lack of a human relationship. Only at the end of the book, did the father appear to acknowledge this, and, in my opinion, in a much less than hopeful manner, and perhaps only by way of applying his new-found discovery of "quality" to his relationship with the boy.

I believe the author intended this to come across as insightful, but to me it rings utterly hollow on inspection against a broader view of respectful humanism - something many other pseudophilosophers have treated much much better.

What makes me feel the most ill about the book is that it was widely regarded as a good read by many of the engineering students I grew up with, and on them, even this shallow call to balance humanism against technical preoccupation was totally lost. To them, the story about the son was an unexplained distraction to the real value of the book - the thoughts about quality.

Unfortunately, not many people share my feelings about the book. Interesting reading yes, but I've watched it be misused and ultimately appear to foster the very behavior it was perhaps intended to help minimize.

Yes. RIP, Mr. Pirsig. You did give us a bit to think about.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Reply with quote

"Everybody Falls the First Time"
- Cypher - AD 2199

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
The author passed yesterday. It was mentioned on NPR.

It was an interesting book, but not, in my opinion, for the reasons that the author intended. He intended to write a story about how he, as the main character, explored the idea of "quality" as a sort of quasi-philosophical concept. He grafted this story of introspective exploration onto an externalized story about riding his motorcycle over the mountains with his son on the back. The two stories were designed to run parallel. As he mentally ascended to the heights of abstraction, he journeyed farther into the mountains and over to the other side.

The real story, though, was of a man who was so preoccupied with his puzzle that he completely ignored his son, who was in obvious agony for lack of a human relationship. Only at the end of the book, did the father appear to acknowledge this, and, in my opinion, in a much less than hopeful manner, and perhaps only by way of applying his new-found discovery of "quality" to his relationship with the boy.

I believe the author intended this to come across as insightful, but to me it rings utterly hollow on inspection against a broader view of respectful humanism - something many other pseudophilosophers have treated much much better.

What makes me feel the most ill about the book is that it was widely regarded as a good read by many of the engineering students I grew up with, and on them, even this shallow call to balance humanism against technical preoccupation was totally lost. To them, the story about the son was an unexplained distraction to the real value of the book - the thoughts about quality.

Unfortunately, not many people share my feelings about the book. Interesting reading yes, but I've watched it be misused and ultimately appear to foster the very behavior it was perhaps intended to help minimize.

Yes. RIP, Mr. Pirsig. You did give us a bit to think about.

I really just appreciated the suggestion to use an aluminum can to keep my handlebars from slipping. That was information I used almost immediately. Pretty sure I stopped reading shortly after that part though since that literally was the maintenance my motorcycle needed, so I went back to riding my motorcycle assuming that was the "zen" part the book title had mentioned.

If a movie ever comes out, I'll probably go see it then be disappointed if I don't learn any more useful repair tricks.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Reply with quote

I found something related I guess??? Shocked

jalopnik.com/207899/th...fj-cruiser

pack-smart
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Reply with quote

Thank you.

Homdad. Would you like to fill in this kid?
pack-smart
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Reply with quote

I miss you Homedad (Kurt).
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Reply with quote

ridiculously bothered by ex wrote:

even as you're smoking your tires on slick rocks or high-centering the truck so brilliantly that you could literally change all four tires with no worry of the thing tipping over on you. And well, that, friends, is why God gave us the electric winch.

Zen and the Art of Drooling:

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Reply with quote

Cough.....

phoenix.craigslist.org...32761.html

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Reply with quote

azflycaster wrote:
Cough.....

phoenix.craigslist.org...32761.html

Still,
It is pretty pristine (Albeit 93K used up)

Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Reply with quote

pack-smart wrote:
I miss you Homedad (Kurt).

You're hot Smile

pack-smart
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Reply with quote

Hello Homedad, glad to hear from you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: