Friday, August 18, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 2
Visitors: 39
Total: 41
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: Finn > Home
02: zzmikey > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Vibration ? Hmm
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Vibration ? Hmm
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibration ? Hmm Reply with quote

Doesn't really sound like TC shudder to me. There is a huge thread on the blue room. When the shudder occurs it's always between 4th and 5th lockup. Put the transmission in 4th. If shudder goes away then it IS the transmission. A good percentage of folks cured this by doing an ATF flush. Forget Toyota's claim of lifetime fluid. Should be changed every 60k or so.

TLCA# 18990
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibration ? Hmm Reply with quote

Lifetime to a manufacturer is only until the warranty is no longer in force. I wouldn't trust anything "lifetime" on a car past 120K or 10 years.

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
VoodoChild
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibration ? Hmm Reply with quote

Drive shaft ..all that seems to be ok .. but it happens as soon as i go forward it is very subtle but defiantly there at any speed.. Im just going to have someone look at because its hard to tell. Will post up when i actually find whats up !

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibration ? Hmm Reply with quote

I'm putting my chip on ring/pinion.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vibration ? Hmm Reply with quote

Did you ever get this checked out? Just curious what the cause is.

I remembered that I had a shimmy in my FJ once that was due to inner toe rod. But it was speed related and not affected by throttle position.

I'm still hoping yours is an easy fix.
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibration ? Hmm Reply with quote

Are your motor mounts ok?

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
VoodoChild
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibration ? Hmm Reply with quote

[quote="BellyDoc"]I'm putting my chip on ring/pinion.[/quote

Sorry for the delay in getting back .. I ended up going to Toyo works and I had to make an appt which was a week out .. It was the rear U Joint, Said it was about to explode..So I had them replace the front and the rear...I think it was like $340.00....I had never had a U joint fail on any vehicle that I had to own and maintain .143,000 miles on this Toyota.. So I didnt know what it would feel like , I thought if u joint failed it came apart/ So I thought the worst and it was about the best !
Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this as I really Had no idea and Visually it appeared ok.

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibration ? Hmm Reply with quote

Yay! Glad you got it fixed! I've never had one fail either. I will keep this in mind!
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibration ? Hmm Reply with quote

Congrats. Most people don't get this one figured out before it goes. U joint failure on the trail can be sporty. Frags fly left and right and then the drive shaft dumps on the ground. On Jeeps, the drive shaft comes all the way out because the transfer case end is a slip joint. At times, the frags will shoot through other important bits. I saw a front joint failure blow a hole in a cast aluminum tranny pan and all the fluid bled out in seconds. The field repair was done with a mass of tire plugs and a ratchet strap. Good times! Wink

glideraz wrote:
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibration ? Hmm Reply with quote

Had a front joint explode on the 2500hd doing 75mph......
I still have the hole in my floor from it.....made me shit my panties.

azfj owners are the best
VoodoChild
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibration ? Hmm Reply with quote

Im Glad it did not come apart .. from the time it started vibrating and trip to the shop I put 34 miles on the joint ! I drove really easy but that doesnt mean anything .. I know I just got real Lucky.

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vibration ? Hmm Reply with quote

ahh the U-JOINT vibration!! Yeah I had that.. couldnt figure it out as well.. less vibration in reverse; less vibration when in 4WD HI (automatic)... I drove it for about 200 miles.. needless to say when I finally figured it out the U joints were hanging on by the smallest of margins.

imgur.com/a/u4Waw

then I posted this:
azfj.org/index.php?nam...ic&t=12267
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibration ? Hmm Reply with quote

Yep. At that point ^^^ you're just using the joint as a hammer to beat the yoke into a generally rotating behavior pattern, until that remaining flake of metal flies off and the cross shoots out.

Notice how nice and shiny those points are on the cross? It's really good metal and gets hardened so that needle bearings can roll on it smoothly. The ears of the yoke, on the other hand, they're just cast parts. It's OEM Toyota, so they're probably pretty good cast parts, but they still don't compare to the cross.

I trip out on this kind of thing sometimes. There are a number of places in a vehicle where huge amounts of force are transferred down to really small amounts of metal and this is one of them. Another great example is the other end of this same part where it's held on by just 4 8mm bolts but takes all the torque the drive shaft can supply. Those are some awesome bolts!

On my buggy, all the weight of the vehicle is on the 4 struts, any of which come apart if one or the other half inch bolt fails that goes through an eye at the end. Those are grade 9 hardware, but it's still just one bolt and no back up. Probably more worrisome are the tabs they bolt through (which I cut and shaped), or maybe even the welds that hold them down (which are mine)!!

glideraz wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: