Saturday, August 19, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 2
Visitors: 53
Total: 55
Who Is Where:
 Members:
Hidden: 2
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Rear wheel bearing symptoms?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Rear wheel bearing symptoms?
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IownanFj
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Rear wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

I have an 07 at early model. I've been getting noise from the rear end for a while, especially when I let off the gas at freeway speeds. I'm aware of the rear end issues and will next month be ordering a 3rd member from ecgs. I like to do maintenance while things are apart so I was going to do axle seals, but now I'm reading wheel bearings start to fail around 120k, yet no one can really describe symptoms. I have 122k and I'm wondering how to tell if I should do wheel bearings as well. I'd rather not, as it would be about another 300 bucks not to mention the time it takes. But on the other hand, don't want to pull the axles again later.

Any suggestions? Anything to look out for?

CRAZYJOHN
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

do it all and be done with it!

IownanFj
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

There's a lot of factors here. Money, time, downtime. I'll have to drive to a shop with a press and have them press out and in the old and new bearings. If it was a simple part id already have to remove to do the third member, sure, replace it. But this is a fairly involved job..

CRAZYJOHN
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

I know but why do this 2 or 3 times? I wrench for a living. What i here is the customer wishes after the short cut was done that they had did it all because of the extra cost and down time again later.Just sayen

IownanFj
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

You're killing me john. I was hoping to hear "if they aren't making noise you're good to go! Don't worry about em', it's a Toyota for Christ sake!"

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

I'm with John on this, I know the pain. Sure, they may be fine and last a really long time yet, but it's more likely they'll need to be replaced not far down the road. I'm more the "hurt once" sort, just take care of everything together and don't worry about it again. Otherwise I will be obsessing over when that part will fail.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

Ok screw it ill be that little voice that says .... nawh dont worry about it, im sure everything thing will ok. Just have to make sure....
You have roadside assistance and towing (just in case)
Whats the worst case scenario. .....
The bearing fails and then the axle will come loose and come out of the housing, you tear your brake line (so now you have no brakes). Meanwhile that axle assembly with tire still attached becomes a death missle. It flies on the other side of the road and stabs someone's grandmother. (By the way she was on her way to bring fresh baked cookies to homeless chidren).
Meanwhile your trying to get control of your out of control fj... and bamm you run into a crowd of people doing a charity walk for saving the great white owl (which there is only 1 in existence ) and guess what you crushed that owl in the cage they where carrying...

But its your choice......lol

azfj owners are the best
IownanFj
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

Oh come on, it's a 10 year old Toyota! A ten year old Toyota with no actual signs of failure. If I start thinking like that, then I should do the front bearings.. I should throw in some cv shafts and every ball joint and tie rod as well...

I was a mechanic for 11 years and I've never replaced seen rear solid axle bearings fail.

Last edited by IownanFj on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
IownanFj
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

Back to the original question, does anyone know what the symptoms are?

glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

I was just being a smart ass....
That type of morning.
Ive seen them fail and the axle does work its way out and it sucks.

If you are suspecting a rear axle bearing usually the seal will leak as a good sign.
The bearing will wobble causing the seal to give up.
Ive had the exact thing happen to me no noise but it was leaking. Sure as shit the bearing had play in it.
If you drive it at slow speeds foing around corners will let you know if 1 is bad or going bad.
The wheel on the outside of the corner will have the most pressure on it and could cause it to make some noise.
Or put the rear axle on stands amd liaten to the bearing with a scope.

azfj owners are the best
IownanFj
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

The scope idea is smart, not sure why I didn't think of that. Good call! Thanks for the reply. Hey glider have you ever done them at home? I'm wondering if I have to use a press or can I use something else. My idea was fabbing up a flange for the wheel bearing hub, and then hitting the axle with a sledge (using a 2x4 as a cushion)

glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

Tou can try, i have never had good success making something or slamming the axle down on concrete.
I went and got a 20 ton press at harbor freight. Its like 150 bucks.
Well worth the money.
Now i do axles all the time for peeps and bushings of coarse.

I used to wrench for a living also (a lon time ago)
Now i just do it out of the house

azfj owners are the best
IownanFj
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

Maybe I should just buy the damn press and not be cheap. Thanks for all the help

CRAZYJOHN
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

Yea maybe a end is in sight for this repair???

Last edited by CRAZYJOHN on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearing symptoms? Reply with quote

glideraz wrote:
Ok screw it ill be that little voice that says .... nawh dont worry about it, im sure everything thing will ok. Just have to make sure....
You have roadside assistance and towing (just in case)
Whats the worst case scenario. .....
The bearing fails and then the axle will come loose and come out of the housing, you tear your brake line (so now you have no brakes). Meanwhile that axle assembly with tire still attached becomes a death missle. It flies on the other side of the road and stabs someone's grandmother. (By the way she was on her way to bring fresh baked cookies to homeless chidren).
Meanwhile your trying to get control of your out of control fj... and bamm you run into a crowd of people doing a charity walk for saving the great white owl (which there is only 1 in existence ) and guess what you crushed that owl in the cage they where carrying...

But its your choice......lol

Good morning to you too Sunshine. Smile

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: