Saturday, November 18, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: scotty45
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1983

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 109
Total: 110
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: aurelius > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th!
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th!
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

WHAT
Amazing run to Asbestos Point Mine and the overlook!

TRAIL OVERVIEW
www.azfj.org/index.php...pic&t=5574

The mines are located north of Roosevelt Lake at ~6800' elevation. The asbestos mines were operational from the early 1900's until ~1980 and you can actually walk all the way into the shafts, see an old bed frame, etc...

In the past, the climb up to the mine was fun, fairly easy, but also depended on weather. When we last went, there was snow and we couldn't finish and get to the top, but it was an EPIC adventure. After that, there was a fire, and trail was closed. Recently TRAL repaired the trail and our friend Tanman scouted this for us as he usually does.

I expect this trail to be significantly more challenging that it has been in the past due to the weather and fire issues.
Take a look at some recent updates for some perspective
azfj.org/index.php?nam...073#223073

Mild overgrowth will result in pinstripes, fallen trees had been cut and are somewhat blocking the trail in spots.

IF we can make it to the top, it is a very cool run with epic views of the surrounding mountains, Four Peaks and Roosevelt Lake.

Due to the change in trail, 33's with sliders and skids are highly recommended.

Becaase of my recent Knee surgery, I will want at least one other experienced driver (if not two) on this run with me to help spot, but also conduct trail repair as necessary. I will not be able to be as mobile, active, or srpy as I might normally be and will want some help just in case this trail has increased in difficulty.
We almost always have some kind of "Adventure" on this run with cutting down fallen trees away from the trail, etc...

HIGHLIGHTS FROM OUR LAST FEW RUNS
azfj.org/index.php?nam...t=asbestos

CAMPING
After we do the run, we will cross the highway to the east side and take a brief ride to the rim - incredible views of the valley, sun cascading off the walls, etc...

For those that want to, we will set up camp on the plateau by the rim on Saturday night

MEETUP
Meet spot: 9am
33.419814, -110.812113
Shell Station
2055 US HIGHWAY 60 Miami, AZ 85539

COMMS
CB Channel 16
146.46 HAM
Mike's Cell - 248-321-eight-2-six-4

IN
Zzmikey
Duner
Raymond
Dravur
Bucketboy
Noxious1
GMG Joe

MAYBE
SafetyHooker
MaltaJoe
Ratfink
Jimbolio
Shamwow
John

"New England Patriots - 2017 Superbowl Champs!"

Last edited by zzmikey on Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:33 am; edited 5 times in total
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

Would LOVE TO COME.
New baby scheduled around that time so best I can be is a maybe.

Want to document this trail

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
ratfink
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

I would love to go, had a blast last time. Put me in as a maybe and I will let you know ASAP.

CRAZYJOHN
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

out , working on Microbe's 4runner. it's all good.

Maltajo
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

I'm a maybe for this!
It will be interesting to see the trail that was under the snow!

Have Pastizzi will travel!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
K9OL
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

Sounds like a good time... However I will be at a much higher elevation in Colorado...
BucketBoy
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

I want to be in. Have to check with the parents this weekend. Don't have skids. Is that going to be a problem? PS: my father was at the mud run today. Said he didn't see any FJs and unfortunately I don't think he'd recognize any of you right away.

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

BucketBoy wrote:
I want to be in. Have to check with the parents this weekend. Don't have skids. Is that going to be a problem? PS: my father was at the mud run today. Said he didn't see any FJs and unfortunately I don't think he'd recognize any of you right away.

There were three of our FJs there.

Well, the trail formerly did not need skids , but it looks much tougher now.

If you have sliders you should be fine as long as you 'listen to your spotter', which as we know, has not been your strength Ryan Smile

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

zzmikey wrote:
BucketBoy wrote:

If you have sliders you should be fine as long as you 'listen to your spotter', which as we know, has not been your strength Ryan Smile

Hey I have that problem too! Seems like a miracle I have lived this long.

You realize, I'm sure, that Sunday is Father's day. Problem solved, bring all those kids with you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
K9OL
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

BucketBoy wrote:

I have a set of Brand New RCI Metalworks Aluminum skids that would fit your 2012 Red TT. And you could have them today if we agree on a price. 😉
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
zzmikey wrote:
BucketBoy wrote:

Hey I have that problem too! Seems like a miracle I have lived this long.

You realize, I'm sure, that Sunday is Father's day. Problem solved, bring all those kids with you.

yep, my wife remindeed me..

But people can still do therun and not camp, or they can camp too and be home in time for lunch! Smile

BucketBoy
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

K9OL wrote:
BucketBoy wrote:

I have a set of Brand New RCI Metalworks Aluminum skids that would fit your 2012 Red TT. And you could have them today if we agree on a price. 😉

I don't like Aluminum for Armor. Personal preference. Probably going with Budbuilt steel with new sliders but I just dropped about 10K on the FJ

BucketBoy
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

zzmikey wrote:
BucketBoy wrote:

I've gotten a lot better about that. More general driving experience and more off-road experience helps a ton. Please move me to the "in".

ratfink
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

Have fun guys. Out ZZ.

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camping) - June 17th! Reply with quote

BucketBoy wrote:
zzmikey wrote:
BucketBoy wrote:

I've gotten a lot better about that. More general driving experience and more off-road experience helps a ton. Please move me to the "in".

Sweet!!

Are you camping with us too or just wheeling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: