Wednesday, August 16, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 71
Total: 71
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Rear door won't open
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Rear door won't open
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
microbe
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Rear door won't open Reply with quote

For the past couple weeks my drivers automatic look has been sticking. No big deal, I can use the key and unlock it.
The other day I went to put groceries in the back of the FJ and the rear door wouldn't open. I don't hear the lock trying to open when I use the keyfob and using the key on the rear door the glass will o\pop open, but nothing on the door.
Any ideas?
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door won't open Reply with quote

Dirty contacts?
Is something jammed in the door? (That's usually what happens to me). Some pressure on the door while you art trying to open it (Serious force) sometimes unlatches it.

Here's a Blew Room example.
www.fjcruiserforums.co...-door.html

Welcome back BTW.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door won't open Reply with quote

Mine got stuck for a long time once in maybe 2008, took a ton of force got it working... can't recall if it was pushing in or pulling out while hitting the key, but I sort of recall it was pushing.

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door won't open Reply with quote

hahahahahahaha www.fjcruiserforums.co...losed.html

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
microbe
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door won't open Reply with quote

The handle moves freely. I really don't think something is jammed in it. I'll keep hitting it.
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door won't open Reply with quote

Sawzall?

azfj owners are the best
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door won't open Reply with quote

If the handle moves freely then it sounds like you have lost the plastic retaining clip that holds the linkage to the jam lock. Linkage has fallen out, so you are lifting the handle and there is no resistance because it is out of the lock.

Just a thought.
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door won't open Reply with quote

azfj.org/index.php?nam...ic&t=11122

Could be the same thing that happened to mine, but my door was open. The handle moved freely, it just wouldn't operate the mechanism. The mechanism inside the door comes with heavy grease as a lubricant. All the dust inside the door made it into a paste that was more of a glue than lubricant.

The linkage from the handle to the mechanism is metal with plastic ends, so that could broken or come loose.
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door won't open Reply with quote

I was going to say... dust magnet... WD40?

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door won't open Reply with quote

My rear door actuator on my 07 failed from parking in the Sun so much was a $380 part yikes! Shocked

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door won't open Reply with quote

tibaal89 wrote:
hahahahahahaha www.fjcruiserforums.co...losed.html

so the solution was to Do nothing, see if it fixes itself.
Usually a good plan A.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Speedy
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door won't open Reply with quote

azflycaster wrote:
My rear door actuator on my 07 failed from parking in the Sun so much was a $380 part yikes! Shocked

I have been reading more and more FJ owners having to pay like $600 (with labor) from Toyota to replace this same part. Time to hit the junkyards.
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door won't open Reply with quote

Speedy wrote:
azflycaster wrote:

I have been reading more and more FJ owners having to pay like $600 (with labor) from Toyota to replace this same part. Time to hit the junkyards.

Wait till you see what a pain in the ass it is to take the rear door panel off there's like pastic sheet/seal going all the way around you could actually sound deaden or something while you have it off.

Speedy
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door won't open Reply with quote

azflycaster wrote:

Wait till you see what a pain in the ass it is to take the rear door panel off there's like pastic sheet/seal going all the way around you could actually sound deaden or something while you have it off.

It is actually a piece of cake. Check out the AZFJ Facebook. I have the whole interior out of the truck and in my garage. The hardest part to remove was the headliner,IMO. I had major pucker factor going that I was going to ruin or kink a $1500 part.

BTW- if you guys need any pictures of the inside of the rear cargo door then now is the time to ask. I have it all removed including the clear plastic lining. From my quick look it seemed pretty easy to remove. Three star bolts from the outside, a connector and the latch seems to be just held in by a bushing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: