Wednesday, April 26, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Viperchick76
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1919

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 31
Total: 31
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarioDidIt
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona Reply with quote

Fellow FJ owner from Los Angeles, planning a trip to AZ next weekend. (March 24-26th) This will be my first time exploring in AZ in an overland capable vehicle so I would love to explore some areas that most people don't get to see. Thats what brought me to this section of the forum, I need opinions/suggestions from the locals! haha

My buddy and I are leaving either Thursday night (late start 9pm-ish) or Friday super early and coming back Sunday but don't really have a plan on where to go each day / or where to camp each night.

Originally I was thinking of sticking to the Grand Canyon area since I have never been there but after researching some more of the Arizona areas I started to develop another route.

As of right now it looks like we'd head out Thursday night

1. Leave LA Thursday night, sleep on BLM land towards Phoenix/Prescott
2. Friday morning Sedona area for Schenbly Hill and maybe Broken Arrow
3. Friday night camp at Red Rock Crossing area
4. Saturday head to Grand Canyon area
5. Saturday night camp near Havasupai Point
6. Sunday head to Peach Springs and take Diamond Creek Rd to the bottom of the canyon
7. Come home

This route was planned based off a ton of google searches haha but I am open to all and any suggestions from someone who is more familiar with Arizona. Here are some other areas I found interesting but I only have 3 days and don't want to try and plan something that isnt possible.

Toroweap Overlook
Marble Canyon
Crazy Jug Point
Tater Canyon
Dog Point
Point Sublime
Grandview Lookout
Glen Canyon
Antelope Canyon
Antelope Island

Another important question I had was about the North Kaibab National Forest area. I know they close RTE 67 south to the North Rim for the winter but there are a lot of Forest Service Roads that intertwine throughout that whole area... are those all closed too? I wouldnt mind sticking to the North areas of the Grand Canyon if all those FRS are explorable.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona Reply with quote

Your itinerary is a solid one. You will find yourself wishing for more time at these places. Each of them Sedona, Grand Canyon, Peach Springs, is a weekend camp trip.

Forget about the North side of the canyon, you don't have time. There's no shortcut from the south to the North. you have to go all the way to Lake Powell to get to the other side. It's about 4-6 hours (If you stop to look at stuff) from one side of the canyon to the other.

But you will be amazed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
MarioDidIt
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
Your itinerary is a solid one. You will find yourself wishing for more time at these places. Each of them Sedona, Grand Canyon, Peach Springs, is a weekend camp trip.

Forget about the North side of the canyon, you don't have time. There's no shortcut from the south to the North. you have to go all the way to Lake Powell to get to the other side. It's about 4-6 hours (If you stop to look at stuff) from one side of the canyon to the other.

But you will be amazed.

Theres never enough time! haha but I like being on the go.
If it came down to checking out the north side, I would stick to that side since it takes about the same amount of time to get from LA to the South Rim as it does to get to the North Rim.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona Reply with quote

A fine plan. The north rim is a Summer expedition.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
fjlarry
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun trip. It's 210 driving miles from South Rim to North Rim. Or about 23 miles if you walk across........

MarioDidIt
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona Reply with quote

Would you modify the route in any way?

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona Reply with quote

i'd throw Cinders OHV area in on the way between Sedona and Grand Canyon

MarioDidIt
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona Reply with quote

Ok guys, leaving tonight.

Here is the itinerary;

1. Leaving Los Angles tonight, heading for Lake Prescott/China Dam area.
(Wont be getting to that area until 1-2 am so I wanted to head to an easy area where I can find a spot to pull over and sleep for the night)

2.Friday morning wake up and go to the the Red Rock/Sedona area. Schnebly Hill, Broken Arrow, Bloody Basin, Mogollo Rim, and Devils Bridge are all points of interest for the day, but depending on how timing goes I know Ill only be able to go to a few of those places, but one of them will definitely be camp for the night.

3. Saturday morning go see the Grand Falls, NE of Flagstaff and then head to Tusayan, head to Havasupai Point and set up camp for the night. (50% chance of showers, really hoping for less since we'll be in one rig and I read that the roads can get bad when wet.)

4. Sunday morning head out, and stop by Peach Springs, AZ to head down to Diamond Creek Campground (bottom of the canyon) hang out for the day and then head back to LA that night.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona Reply with quote

Peach springs costs about $34 / person for a permit
Worth it if your camping down there, not for a daytrip

www.americansouthwest....anyon.html

Pitch
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona Reply with quote

Several areas on your itinerary will be closed due to winter conditions/seasonal closure. Schnebly Hill, the Mogollon Rim roads, and likely Havasupai Point will be closed and/or snowed in. 12" of snow fell last night on many areas of the Coconino. Good luck!

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona Reply with quote

Grand falls is a great place to see but be warned that to continue NW past there the road crosses through the river. 99% of the time this isn't an issue as it's barely a trickle but if the water is really flowing like a few photos I've seen in the last few weeks, you may not be able to cross and you'll have to backtrack to Leupp road. It's a tough choice because if the water is actually flowing that strong, the falls are going rival any others you'll likely see anywhere else.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
MarioDidIt
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona Reply with quote

Pitch wrote:
Several areas on your itinerary will be closed due to winter conditions/seasonal closure. Schnebly Hill, the Mogollon Rim roads, and likely Havasupai Point will be closed and/or snowed in. 12" of snow fell last night on many areas of the Coconino. Good luck!

I called the ranger station today to ask specifically about Schnebly since thats a must see for me and they said its open now, but they did get some snow last night so itll be muddy tomorrow. Fine with me!

Havasupai point doesnt get closed by the rangers, it would be up to the reservation and I dont think they ever close it but do tell people they probably wont make it due to weather which seems to be enough to keep people from attempting it.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona Reply with quote

Don't take the warnings lightly.
www.azcentral.com/stor.../99506164/

PM me your particulars.
Car year, color, phone, specific details and I'll check on you when you are supposed to be back out.

Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona Reply with quote

fjlarry wrote:
Sounds like a fun trip. It's 210 driving miles from South Rim to North Rim. Or about 23 miles if you walk across........

Will actually be doing that, twice, in about a month. Gonna be a lonnnnnnnnng day...

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???
Bliss
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Coming from Los Angeles to explore Arizona Reply with quote

How did it go?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: