Tuesday, September 19, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: petertohen
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1970

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 55
Total: 55
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Cox Data
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Cox Data
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yellowmk2
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Cox Data Reply with quote

Has anyone read this about cox limiting data to TB per month before you are charged? What other providers are you guys using? I use 2 TB or so a month now
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cox Data Reply with quote

True and True. This is a bummer man. No more netflix binges.
www.cox.com/residentia...usage.html

You can monitor your usage here:

www.cox.com/internet/m...ausage.cox

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
chayos00
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cox Data Reply with quote

Holy cow! 2TB a month?! I'm on comcast and don't use anywhere near that much, but think I've maxed out around 0.5TB per month.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cox Data Reply with quote

I was at 28% for the month of June-July.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Yellowmk2
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cox Data Reply with quote

You guys must not have kids at the house. We stream everything plus multiple tablets, etc. And whole home automation. Thanks Jimbolio, i have looked and knew thats where my 2 tb number came from. Stupid cox
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cox Data Reply with quote

so the chatter on the intertubes... the data heavy plans are coming but it will be after they charge people $10 per 50GB for a few months. Also the combo deals that force cable service to get the subscriber count up and then give you more data caps.

like cox? dont like the caps?

Cox business accounts are not capped; the caveat is that they only guarantee LOWER speeds for a much higher price point. Business accounts even in residential areas have their own subnet so often it is NOT capped for speed or data.

other alternatives? the CenturyLink option.. maybe
other alternatives? a smart router that can combine one or more providers (think cox + verizon + centurlink) into an aggregate connection (yeah complex).
other alternatives? pay your neighbor $10 for their extra data (share wifi)
other alternatives? start your own ISP using mesh technologies
other alternatives? move to an area with Cox gigbast (you get 2TB then)
other alternatives? move to where google fiber is
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cox Data Reply with quote

I wouldn't even bother with the CenturyLink option. Very few people even manage to get enough throughput to be able to download 1TB in a month on DSL. (Hyperbole perhaps, but barely).
Otherwise, just pay the fee. I got the letter about the cap last week. It's horseshit really, but politics and business being what they are, we don't have much choice.

That said, 2TB a month is pretty damn steep. I stream a lot of HD, play games online and run heavy VPN to work at least 10 hours a day if not more, nowhere near the cap.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
TOY4WD
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cox Data Reply with quote

It would be way cheaper for you to just get a roommate acct and add it to your cox acct. Then you get another 1024 GB per month. Only draw back would be you would need to set up another wifi network in your house.
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cox Data Reply with quote

Yellowmk2 wrote:
You guys must not have kids at the house. We stream everything plus multiple tablets, etc. And whole home automation. Thanks Jimbolio, i have looked and knew thats where my 2 tb number came from. Stupid cox

Actually, I have four kids in the house with no cable or satellite. There is something streaming every hour of the day, especially during the summer, and sometimes multiple streams at a time from three computers, two tv's, two tablets, and three phones. With all of this going on we still only used 835GB last month. So yeah, I am curious about your 2TB's too.
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cox Data Reply with quote

TOY4WD wrote:
It would be way cheaper for you to just get a roommate acct and add it to your cox acct. Then you get another 1024 GB per month. Only draw back would be you would need to set up another wifi network in your house.

interesting approach.. but I don't believe COX will connect two unique accounts at a single home residence. That is to say I dont believe Cox will split the street side feed in order to support two cable modems.
TOY4WD
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cox Data Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:
interesting approach.. but I don't believe COX will connect two unique accounts at a single home residence. That is to say I dont believe Cox will split the street side feed in order to support two cable modems.

They do and will, it is called a roommate account. It ends up being 2 separate accts at the same address. Both accounts then have their own 1024GB per month to use. Whoever signs up for the roommate acct will have to have decent credit in order to avoid a deposit.
As for splitting the drop that feeds your house, that is the simple part. I'd say 90% of the houses in the valley with a cox drop can easily run 3-4 modems before the need for residential house amps and special splitters to maintain correct transmit and recieve levels.
I have woked for cox for the last 17 years. First 7 in residential, 3 years special project, and the last 7 in commercial business. When it comes to Cox internet, I know a thing or 2 because i've seen a thing or 2. Laughing

Cox just recently started upgrading their plant to support the new docsis 3.1 platform. Google it and youtube search docsis 3.1 for info.
Yellowmk2
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cox Data Reply with quote

FatRat wrote:
Yellowmk2 wrote:

Actually, I have four kids in the house with no cable or satellite. There is something streaming every hour of the day, especially during the summer, and sometimes multiple streams at a time from three computers, two tv's, two tablets, and three phones. With all of this going on we still only used 835GB last month. So yeah, I am curious about your 2TB's too.

Not sure, usually 2-3 TV's streaming HD content, 1 kid playing roblox, and a couple more on ipads, paired with all home stuff (lights, thermostat, locks, music, video cameras). I guess it just all adds up. We are running 2 different wifi names so I bet I could see where it is actually coming from.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cox Data Reply with quote

TOY4WD wrote:
Doesn't work like that. One account per household. Also, two accounts is much more expensive than one with paid overages.

* Edit* And some research shows that a roommate account is a thing. Still may be cheaper to just pay the overages. Need to see where COX ends up landing once bills start rolling out. Still feel you should identify what's using all the data.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **

Last edited by 4GaugeSurprise on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cox Data Reply with quote

Your first step needs to get a handle on what's using that much data. That is not a normal "just adds up" amount, and none of the home automation devices should use a noticable amount (although cameras can if they are not configured correctly). A router with metering, some sort of reporting, maybe a network sniffer depending on your tech savvy, something to get you actionable details, not just because if the potential bill but the potential security issues as well. If there is some bother or other malware using your network as a launching point, that can even cost you a few $ a month just in added electrical costs.

TOY4WD
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cox Data Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:
TOY4WD wrote:
Doesn't work like that. One account per household. Also, two accounts is much more expensive than one with paid overages.

* Edit* And some research shows that a roommate account is a thing. Still may be cheaper to just pay the overages. Need to see where COX ends up landing once bills start rolling out. Still feel you should identify what's using all the data.

It does in fact work exactly as i described. If you go over by a TB per month, and it is $10 per 50GB, the overage charge alone would be over $200 a month. A roommate acct would be whatever you currently pay for internet service. Then you'd need to setup another wifi/hardwired network in your house and move half your devices to the new network. 2TB per month is a shit ton of data to be using.

Business accounts work the same way when people install a business account in their house. There are 2 separate accts at the same address. If they install business internet and business phone at their house where they currently have residential internet then that house has 2 modems and an emta for the phone which works exactly like an internet modem. So that 1 address has 3 modems, 1 drop or feed, and 2 separate account numbers.

Trust me I do this shit all day monday through thursday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: