Saturday, June 24, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: KICKROCKS
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1942

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 45
Total: 45
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Quick electrical question:
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Quick electrical question:
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlbinoDyno
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Quick electrical question: Reply with quote

I got a quick question for all you seasoned FJ owners. I plan on adding some electrical accessories to my rig (CB, lights, USB outlet, etc). I currently have a distribution block that runs straight from the battery but I am wanting to install a second that only provides power when the key is on to power the new accessories.

So my first question is what do you call a line that only hot when the key is on ? Second question is where can I find/make one to power a distribution block that will have enough amps to power additional lights?

Thanks!
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Quick electrical question: Reply with quote

AlbinoDyno wrote:

So my first question is what do you call a line that only hot when the key is on ? Second question is where can I find/make one to power a distribution block that will have enough amps to power additional lights?

Thanks!

It's called "switched" or "keyed" +12V. I would use a relay triggered off a switched circuit driving a Blue Sea fuse block.

TLCA# 18990
AZRich
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick electrical question: Reply with quote

Toyo, what kind of relay would you recommend for that type of setup? The relays I have for lights are individual 30A units but I have a separate one for each light location. With the BlueSea block, you could potentially run much more than 30A through it so wouldn't you need a much bigger relay that could handle whatever you plug into the block?
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick electrical question: Reply with quote

AZRich wrote:
Toyo, what kind of relay would you recommend for that type of setup? The relays I have for lights are individual 30A units but I have a separate one for each light location. With the BlueSea block, you could potentially run much more than 30A through it so wouldn't you need a much bigger relay that could handle whatever you plug into the block?

What are you wanting to power from the Blue Sea block? If you are wanting lights to come on only when the key is hot, just wire their relays to the switched circuit and bypass the BlueSea block.

If there are other high current accessories that you want to be powered through the BlueSea block then yes, you would need the relay to be able to handle the full amount of current pulled from all branch circuits off the block. The 40A "Bosch style" is the most common type automotive relay. You can parallel them to allow for current sharing. I have found that the spade connectors heat up do to the contact resistance. So for anything close to 40A i would run two in parallel.

There maybe other type relays with a higher current rating that you could substitute, but i am not familiar with any in particular.

TLCA# 18990
AZRich
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick electrical question: Reply with quote

Ah wiring in parallel! Ok thanks! I have several LED lights on the roof and bumpers, 4 extra power outlets, and some future rock lights so I probably won't get close to the capacity of two 40A relays, but it's good info to know in case I decide to go really crazy with electrical add-ons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: