Friday, August 18, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 47
Total: 48
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: TOY4WD > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › iKamper RTT
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
iKamper RTT
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RhynoFlyer
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: iKamper RTT Reply with quote

iKamper RTT

Just launched on Kickstarter today. Pretty good deal for 24 hrs only. I just backed it. Hoping to pick it up in LA in May. Anybody else on here?

Now I just need to find flat rack!

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: iKamper RTT Reply with quote

looks like a decent product.. should bring some nice competition to the market. slick marketing for sure!

from the pictures.. looks like they are using this: www.bajarack.com/?id=r...&idRack=19 for the FJ.

but... I think simply adding some DIY bars to the factory roof rack could solve the mounting problem... perhaps?

looking for a rack solution.. I might suggest GMG
www.azfj.org/index.php...ic&t=11100
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: iKamper RTT Reply with quote

This design solves several problems with an RTT (Let me qualify that by saying how much I LOVE my RTT TJM Yulara RTT). Sleeping up high is always safer, warmer and comfortable.

• Wind resistance - hauling a giant block around on your truck or trailer definitely impacts MPG

• Cover Durability - They get dirty easily, this is a hose off.

• Space - If you have a 48" RTT you'll get it.

• Ease of Set Up - It takes me 9 minutes to set up my RTT. Setting up the Annex takes another 10.

• Ease of tear down - It takes me 15 uninterrupted minutes to pack away my RTT.

• No ZIPPER to hassle with when putting away.

Would have to see one in person to determine how stout it is. I bet there will be one at the Expo.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
RhynoFlyer
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: iKamper RTT Reply with quote

Great insight Jimbo!

I've been considering the James Baroud for quite some time, but the $4000 price tag was hard to muster. As soon as this thing popped up (no pun) I had to jump on it. I'm sure there is risk with it being a brand new product. With it not really being out in the mass market I'm sure there will be some bugs, but I'm willing to take a chance. I don't see them on the vendor list for the Expo, but if I have it by then, and can make it up, I'd be willing to show it off.

As for the rack, most likely ordering the flat Baja Rack. That is unless any AZFJers have one they are willing to part with...

nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: iKamper RTT Reply with quote

Did I read this right? The mattress is 1.18" thick. I have a front runner featherlite with a 3" mattress and I still use a thin air mattress to be comfortable.
RhynoFlyer
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: iKamper RTT Reply with quote

Yeah. Given that it's a Korean product and having stayed in hotels in Korea, I can personally say that sleeping surface softness is not a priority over there.

It is memory foam, so I'm assuming it's something similar to what you would put on top of your mattress at home, but I still might have to augment it. I'll find out in May!

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: iKamper RTT Reply with quote

Almost pulled the trigger but hesitated
1) Real thin mattress, I had to pay $300 to get mine expanded 1"
2) Date of Delivery changed from Before Overland Expo to Just before Total Eclipse of the sun trip
3) The tent won't fit on an ARB rack like my FJ has. (But I'm potentially putting it on my trailer).

I wasn't clear if they were going to hit my card right now or when the tent was finished. That caused me to pause.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: iKamper RTT Reply with quote

Also, it's a kickstarter project, no guarantee you will receive a product anywhere near the expected date - or at all for that matter. Even on fully funded campaigns.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: iKamper RTT Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:
Also, it's a kickstarter project, no guarantee you will receive a product anywhere near the expected date - or at all for that matter. Even on fully funded campaigns.

Really? I've never funded anything on there but this post inspired me to browse around on Kickstarter. They've got some pretty freaking cool stuff. Have you had/heard of bad experiences there?

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: iKamper RTT Reply with quote

Splagg wrote:
4GaugeSurprise wrote:

Really? I've never funded anything on there but this post inspired me to browse around on Kickstarter. They've got some pretty freaking cool stuff. Have you had/heard of bad experiences there?

I'll just start by saying that I have nothing against kickstarter, the people who use it or the products. It's a cool idea that helps many people bring to life a product. How many of those people actually have the ability to accurately estimate the level of effort to actually produce a qualtity of said product AND meet the cost estimates - those people are quite rare.

I personally have not had an issue, but only because after doing the research, I made the decision to not bother. Sure, there are some cool looking ideas, but very few ever ship on time, and many never ship at all.

Here's an older article that does an actual study The Dynamics of Crowdfunding: An Exploratory Study

here's another such study, I didn't vet this one for accuracy though Delivery Rates On Kickstarter

Basically, for the most part you'll eventually get a thing or, not actually get billed. That said, if its' something you want to have with at least some real time frame - just go buy something that already exists.

If it's something unique or you just really like the idea, awesome, invest. Just keep in mind that this is an INVESTMENT and not a purchase.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: iKamper RTT Reply with quote

one VERY hyped product that come to mind for being funded, yet very few people got a product was:
www.kickstarter.com/pr...s-actually

there was a whole thing about mismanaged of the product; reducing costs; and then frankly just greedy people who just took the money and left people with nothing.

it looks like this iKamper
www.kickstarter.com/pr...avelers-on is fully funded, now it is up to the entrepreneurs to exucute and deliver.

/stay tuned.
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: iKamper RTT Reply with quote

Splagg wrote:
4GaugeSurprise wrote:

It is a common problem. uKeg, Campfire in a can, whatever that fancy cooler with a blender was called (listed above). On and on. There are ZERO guarantees that you will ever receive your product. NONE! Some things have been proven fraudulent and Kickstarter canceled the campaigns and refunded money. Every single project I have funded has been late. Every single one. Even ones from repeat Kickstarter users. Looks like an interesting product but I would wait until they actually have inventory.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: iKamper RTT Reply with quote

So, turns out it's a REAL thing

Almost pulled the trigger when it was $1,600.

Bought this instead:

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: iKamper RTT Reply with quote

Yeah, but not actually in production yet. Well, I was told 3 versions by the same person.. Although I do like the product on display, still not willing to plop down that much cash for an untested product, and the pre-order discount wasn't enough to convince me to invest before seeing some real-world reviews. if they have some out in the "wild" before I come up with the $$, I will give them another look.

That's just my $2.35 worth.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: iKamper RTT Reply with quote

Sorry I missed you out there Charlie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: