Cottonwood, Mingus Mountain, Cherry - About 40 miles of dirt!
Google Map of this Route
Meet & Airdown: 10:00am at Tractor Supply Co, 685 AZ-89A, Cottonwood, AZ 86326, North side of the parking lot (spots closest to Mingus Ave). Gas & supplies available just across 89A at the Maverick Station.
Up Mingus Mountain via FR493, link to 413 over the mountain, find 132 Route and take it to Cherry, and head back down the mountain via Cherry Creek Rd (372 Route, well maintained) and FR361 (fun, not too rugged, with optional obstacle - several attempts but no success last year, and numerous spurs/offshoots/potential campsites). 361 is tight, shrubby, and gets super washed out - always a good time.
Saturday, November 12th, Roughly 10:00am - 4:00pm
4 wheel drive, of course! Air down for comfort (not necessary for difficulty). Bring your lunch to eat on the trail. No services available from start to finish. Stock vehicles can safely navigate this entire route. This run is about good scenery, great people, and getting off the beaten path.
CB 16 to start. If you have an extra handheld, bring it!
- A year ago yesterday, this was the first run that I led. Looking forward to doing it again now that I have a few more trails in the books!
- This is rain or shine but in the event of rain there will be a major adjustment to the route. Travel on 132 is prohibited in precipitation.
- Bring plenty of water. Dress in layers (it will be somewhere between chilly and COLD at the top).
- Looking for a place to grab your lunch when you get into town? I highly recommend Verde Lea Market
! It's just a slight detour to swing by as you come into Cottonwood.
- Enjoy craft beer, good atmosphere, a plethora of activities, and the opportunity to support local businesses? Post-run destination is THAT Brewery