Friday, April 28, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Viperchick76
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1919

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 33
Total: 34
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: itsafjthing > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Skid plate bolt broke off in the frame
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Skid plate bolt broke off in the frame
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dozier77
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Skid plate bolt broke off in the frame Reply with quote

One of the bolts that goes through the first and second skid plate and into the frame broke off when I was undoing it. It recently came back from the dealership for an oil change where they would have had to drop the front skid and I believe they just drove the bolt in poorly with an impact or something. Anyway, should I go for the typical easy out method? I'm concerned even if I successfully bite into the thing those threads were seized enough to break the bolt, so will it come out this way? I'm concerned about making the situation worse.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Skid plate bolt broke off in the frame Reply with quote

I had some problems with my bolts too. You'll find the nut that is simply tack welded onto the frame will break loose.
I had CrazyJohn weld me in some new nuts, and so far so good. Not sure if this is what you wanted to hear, but there have been many discussion threads about this problem.

For example, your exact situation:
www.fjcruiserforums.co...-bolt.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
dozier77
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Skid plate bolt broke off in the frame Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm going to take a run at it. PB Blaster, left handed drill bit, go slowly, maybe I'll get lucky.
B1ackSh33p
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Skid plate bolt broke off in the frame Reply with quote

So, since I recently had a hairy situation with the bolt from hell on my alternator, I'll take a crack at a solution.

Solution 1: You can go the usual route of finding a drill bit, a good sharp drill bit and drill the rest of it out with hopes you don't damage the threads. If you damage the threads tap it and re-thread it with one bolt size bigger or see solution 2.

Solution 2: They sell a, often times, not-too-cheap kit called a heli-coil that can replace damaged bolt threads on things like frames and such. I have used them and helped friends use them when we came across stripped out threads. They are pretty handy. Not sure how long they last as I sold the vehicle I had used it on, but it did get the job done. I am not sure as how it would hold up to being loosened and tightened a few times a year, i.e. oil changes.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. I hope this helps with at least an idea of a solution to start. Good luck!

Helicoil at ACE:
www.acehardware.com/fa...Id=1259032

Helluva ride to the Dark Side!
dozier77
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Skid plate bolt broke off in the frame Reply with quote

I am happy to report I was able to successfully remove the broken bolt. I will document what I did in case it is helpful to others. I know this is fairly basic stuff, but some of us are still new to these things and are eager to learn.

First, I drilled out the center of the bolt with a left handed drill bit. My intention was to go ALL the way through the bolt so that when I sprayed it with PB Blaster it would soak in from both sides, but when I got close to breaking through I simply could not drill anymore. I wonder if this is typical?

Next, I went ahead and PB Blasted it and let it soak for 5-10 minutes.

Next, I placed a spiral flute extractor into the drilled out hole and whacked it a few times with a hammer to get it to bite in.

Next, I then slowly turned the extractor by hand counter-clockwise.

I had to repeat the last two steps a couple of times before the bolt broke loose.

With the bolt extracted, I now ran the correct size tap (M8x1.25) through the opening to rehabilitate the threads.

I'm very happy this was successful and didn't require something like welding another nut onto the frame!
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Skid plate bolt broke off in the frame Reply with quote

Dang it I'm due for an oil change Crying or Very sad Another nerve wrecking morning at Toyota. They are still cheaper than you can do it yourself. Sad

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Skid plate bolt broke off in the frame Reply with quote

$55 with tax out the door Right Toyota. Stared them down, bolts all in straight. Very Happy Thanks for the warnings...

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Skid plate bolt broke off in the frame Reply with quote

Helicoil inserts are for tapped holes in solid metal. There isn't enough metal in this setting to overdrill, tap and insert a coil.

The welded nut solution is really THE solution for this issue. A stock tacked on threaded insert is just not equal to the task of getting beat on the way that skid plates work. The skids go on and off all the time, and in between those maneuvers, they get bent and twisted. You may not even be able to tell how bad it is until you get them off and release the stored up spring force.

In the mall parking lot, maybe those bolts just support the weight of the skid plates, but on the trail, they see a lot of shear.

Most folks just wait till they destroy a hole before they resort to this upgrade and that's not crazy. However, the experience is usually a lot like like this. An argument could be posed for doing this as a preventive measure, under better conditions.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
IVAN10
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Skid plate bolt broke off in the frame Reply with quote

That's why I remove my own skid plates before I take it in for an oil change. They never seem to get it right.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Skid plate bolt broke off in the frame Reply with quote

I have to use a large pair of channel locks to loosen my oil filter on the top of my engine. Skid plates, what...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Skid plate bolt broke off in the frame Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
I have to use a large pair of channel locks to loosen my oil filter on the top of my engine. Skid plates, what...
That's right, you only drop skid plates on the trail

Hi Jimbolio!

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
IVAN10
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Skid plate bolt broke off in the frame Reply with quote

My oil filter is on the bottom. So is the drain plug.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Skid plate bolt broke off in the frame Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:
Jimbolio wrote:
That's right, you only drop skid plates on the trail

Hi Jimbolio!

Easy peasy,, I don't know what y'all are complaining about

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: