Thursday, June 29, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Mrjoel326
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1943

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 31
Total: 31
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Front end clunk
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Front end clunk
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dozier77
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Front end clunk Reply with quote

Yeah, a ton of threads about this on the interwebs with lots of different possibilities, but my situation is a little specific, so I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

I've been running the OME medium suspension for over four years. Just recently I realized the spring cups had been installed upside down (they were facing downwards like the stock cups, instead of upwards like the OMEs are supposed to). So, I took it apart and changed them. I also replaced both tie rod ends. Ever since putting it back together I get a substantial clunk when the suspension rapidly goes to full droop. This did NOT happen prior to the work I did. I have the stock UCAs, but I've verified the issue is not them hitting the spring. I've also tightened the top nut on the tower as well as I can. When jacking the front end up via the middle of the skid plate (simulating full droop) nothing seems to be hitting, and the clunk doesn't happen. I'm unsure if this actually creates full droop or not. I believe I clocked the spring cups correctly when reinstalling, and I don't see anyway the cups are making contact during the droop, so I don't think that's the issue. Driver side is definitely doing it, but I'm not sure about the passenger side.

I have a couple of quick videos of the issue in action:

Any suggestions?
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end clunk Reply with quote

Sway bar hitting spring....look for scrape marks on inner spring one or two coils up.

Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end clunk Reply with quote

I stand corrected.....second vid...full droop...sway bar hitting steering arm...obvious mark on top of arm.

dozier77
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end clunk Reply with quote

Hmm. I'm not seeing it, or maybe I just don't know what you mean. I don't see the sway bar coming anywhere close to any other component. Which part is the steering arm? Is that not the tie rod?
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end clunk Reply with quote

yes..the inner boot ring looks to have a mark on top

glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end clunk Reply with quote

Looks like homeboy is right.
Looks like sway bar is tapping the tie rod.

azfj owners are the best
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end clunk Reply with quote

Yup, I have to agree with Homedad and glider. Tapping the top of the tie rod
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Front end clunk Reply with quote

Take the anti sway bar off and see if this addresses the clunk
Great documentation by the way

Last edited by Jimbolio on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Front end clunk Reply with quote

+1 for the great work on the documentation..

I'd say do a SAS and that clunk should just go away. Smile
dozier77
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Front end clunk Reply with quote

Front skid and sway bar removed. Clunk remains.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Front end clunk Reply with quote

dozier77 wrote:
Front skid and sway bar removed. Clunk remains.
Look very closely a the area around each bolt / nut for a clean halo. This is how I found a few clunks, specifically my lower shock mount.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
TOY4WD
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Front end clunk Reply with quote

Is it possible that you are over extending your shocks now? I assume flipping the cups over yeilded you some more lift than before. Therefore extending the shocks that much more than before.
dozier77
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end clunk Reply with quote

I do expect the shocks are getting more extension now because of the change in the cups, however, this is the way it was meant to be. It's an OME kit. How could they be getting overextended? Something else in the geometry would have to be wrong, right? Worn out ball joint on UCA? Hell, a lot of people run aftermarket UCAs with these kits which should allow for even more travel..

How do I identify if it is indeed the shocks overextending?

4G, I'll be taking a closer look this weekend.

Any more suggestions?
dozier77
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end clunk Reply with quote

Looked at this over the weekend with another non-member and we couldn't figure out what it was. Leaning towards something with the shock itself, whether it's going bad, or whatever, so I think I may just replace it and see if that corrects it.
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end clunk Reply with quote

Shocks have an internal top out stop. This is what stops the shaft from flying out the end of the tube when compression is released. Shocks built to be coil-over struts have to incorporate a reasonably beefy top out stop because it's not just the internal nitrogen pressure pushing on it, it's also the spring preload. Depending on the valving in a shock, it may offer very little resistance to travel in the extension direction, so that the wheel can quickly be pushed by the spring down into the low spot after a bump, so you don't lose steering in washboard conditions.

The reason I mention this, is that if you're noticing the clunk in the instant that the suspension goes into full droop, it could just be the internal top out stop getting hit.

It could be that when you flipped the cup over, all you really did was increase the preload slightly, making the already somewhat beaten top out stop take a slightly harder hit at full droop.

For rebuildable shocks, there's typically an elastomer donut that goes on the underside of the end cap with the shaft seals in it.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: