Tuesday, October 17, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: DesertXplorer
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1978

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 48
Total: 48
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Land Use › Another land grab by a private business - Soldier Pass
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Another land grab by a private business - Soldier Pass
Meetings, access issues, cleanups, news, land use info.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Another land grab by a private business - Soldier Pass Reply with quote

"An environmental assessment was published in the spring of 2016 and was made available for a 30-day comment period. We have reviewed and responded to all comments received. As the Responsible Official, I have prepared a draft Decision Notice. After consideration of the Soldiers Pass Motorized Use Project Environmental Assessment, Additional Analysis and public comments, I have decided to select modified alternative B, which would allow motorized use by Red Rock Western Jeep Tours, the Forest Service, and emergency responders. No other motorized use would be allowed."

content.govdelivery.co...Letter.pdf

You can read the letter at the above link. What a damn joke. Your tax dollars at work. How about you close it and only allow the Forest Service and emergency responders. Anything else besides open access with a permit is BS.

Further Details and History: www.fs.usda.gov/projec...ject=38555

Red Rock Jeep Tours is proud of their exclusivity!
" Soldiers Pass Trail
ONLY Red Rock Western Jeep Tours is permitted by the U.S. Forest Service to take you on this RUGGED AND HISTORIC TRAIL"

www.redrockjeep.com/a_...spass.html

How much did they pay for this access?

2011 Blue FJ
Mods:
AZFJ Sticker, CB Install, Dash iPad Mount, Dual USB Ports, Expeditioneers Skid Plates, Cooper STT Pro tires, OME Lift Kit, solar, HAM Radios, blah and blah....
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Another land grab by a private business - Soldier Pass Reply with quote

I'll be damned if I am required to pay the equivalent of two tanks of gas to run a 2 mile trail. They can kiss my third member. Maybe we should all pen a letter to our representatives in Washington. (They are probably the greased palms, but at least it will be on the record)

Maybe they'll put a gate over the trail requiring the special Key

I'm not advocating that but there is just so much a law abiding citizen can take.

Tread Lightly
Be Respectful
Pick up Tons of Trash

Lose trails. WTF

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Another land grab by a private business - Soldier Pass Reply with quote

To be honest thats why we stopped doing organized trail cleanups. In the end your still going to lose the trail and or area.

The all mighty dollar has spoken. Now go fuck yourself. Thats what i always feel like happens.

Sorry for the language. Ill run what i want whenever i want to. Try and stop the tank at 1am fuckers........

azfj owners are the best
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Another land grab by a private business - Soldier Pass Reply with quote

Shit, at least 'fucking yourself' is still free (unless you're really REALLY a bastard).

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Another land grab by a private business - Soldier Pass Reply with quote

Disgusting.

We should plan trip up there during the jeep tours peak time and hike the trail and restrict their access. Make it painful as possible for them.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Another land grab by a private business - Soldier Pass Reply with quote

REPOSTED from TRAILSOFFROAD.COM
Soldiers Pass(an iconic Sedona trail) is currently being threatened by closure due to local complaints and commercial tour companies. This is a fantastic short trail with awesome scenic points, it would be quite tragic if we lost public use to this land.

Anyways, I won't go into too much detail, but I wanted to inform you all that there is currently a petition against it on Change.org. If you'd like to take a few minutes to help out and sign the petition, it would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the link: www.change.org/p/unite...pen-to-all

More info from 12 News: www.12news.com/news/lo.../334096894

In addition, here is a section from a local newspaper with a little more information on what is happening:

"The USFS provided four options to choose from and despite a split vote on Jan. 12, this time around — thanks to additional input and information — the Sedona City Council was unanimous in its recommendation of option B. The vote, taken on Tuesday, April 12, authorizes Mayor Sandy Moriarty to send a letter to the USFS in support of this option during the public input portion of the NEPA study, which concludes at the end of this month.
According to a USFS report, alternative B was developed to respond to comments that noise disturbance and social conflicts were resulting from the high volume of unguided motorized vehicles. It would restrict motorized use to one permit holder, currently Red Rock Western Jeep Tours, and prohibit all other motorized use.

Red Rock Western Jeep Tour’s authorized use allocation would be adjusted from 10 vehicles at one time and an annual maximum of 2,100 vehicles to two vehicles at one time, up to 12 vehicles per day and 4,380 vehicles per year. This would make their “at one time” and daily use consistent with most other motorized outfitter/guide use on the district.

This alternative would require the installation of a gate just beyond the trailhead parking lot. This gate would remain closed and locked. Only RRWJT, the Forest Service and emergency responders would have access. Gate placement would not increase parking capacity.

The travel management designation for the Soldier Pass Road and associated spurs would change from open to motorized vehicle use to non-designated, meaning closed to all motor vehicle use except permitted use or administrative use.

The USFS has recommended option C, which states that Red Rock Western Jeep Tours would continue to operate guided Jeep tours on Soldier Pass Road. Other motorized use would be managed with a free permit system. Twelve permits per day would be issued, making public access available in the same amount as that for the permitted outfitter/guide. Permits would be issued on a first come, first served basis and would be available to individuals only and not to businesses seeking to obtain them for clients. Permits would be issued by day, for access anytime between the hours of 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.

This alternative would require the development of a permit reservation system and the installation of a gate to control access. Gate placement would not increase parking capacity.

The other two USFS options were to do nothing and leave things as they are or deny access to any motorized vehicles on the trail.

Councilman Jon Thompson was one of three council members who voted in favor of alternative C back in January. But after receiving the USFS’ study, felt that option B is best.

“I think it comes down to one of those issues that’s really a tourist vs. community kind of issue,” he said. “I’m very much in favor of finding the right balance for our community because I feel we owe a lot to what we get from our tourists and we have to have a strong tourism base. But, tourists owe a lot to the community. We have to have a good community for the tourists to want to come to. I think a balance is very important.”

There were no representatives at the meeting from the USFS or OHV rental operators. However, John Bradshaw, of Red Rock Western Jeep Tours, said the company is offering to install a second gate at the trailhead. This would be a solar-powered coded entry gate with cameras."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Another land grab by a private business - Soldier Pass Reply with quote

I can understand limiting access to an area to protect it from over-use, but to completely cut if off to public motorized use is just wrong in my book. If they go with the permit system, my only question will be, why does Red Rock Western Jeep Tours get special treatment? Shouldn't other businesses also get the same chance at some of the business permits?

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
TUFFY
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Another land grab by a private business - Soldier Pass Reply with quote

glideraz wrote:
To be honest thats why we stopped doing organized trail cleanups. In the end your still going to lose the trail and or area.

The all mighty dollar has spoken. Now go fuck yourself. Thats what i always feel like happens.

Sorry for the language. Ill run what i want whenever i want to. Try and stop the tank at 1am fuckers........

I love you man!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Land Use All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: