Saturday, November 18, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: scotty45
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1983

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 97
Total: 97
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

AZFJ is once again sponsoring a fall cleanup at Redington Pass on Saturday morning, Nov 19th. We hope you can join us on Saturday for the cleanup and Sunday on the Gap run! You can read more about that in the Land Use section.

On Sunday morning, Nov 20th, Velociraptor will be leading a Charouleau Gap run.

WHERE: We will meet at the Valero gas station at 15240 N Oracle Rd (AZ-77 & E Golder Ranch Rd)

WHEN: 7AM air down at the Valero gas station

WHAT: 33in tires, a lift, sliders and skids are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Must have a CB or HAM radio. This trail is a lot of fun and it crosses both washes and creeks. Sometimes there is water and other times it can be dry. Jimbolio, our tailgunner, will be documenting the trail as we go along. This should be a great outing so we hope to see folks from Tucson and folks from up north who come down for the cleanup and Gap run weekend.

There is a 10 vehicle limit due to the nature of the trail (so signup now).

IN:
1. Velociraptor
2. Jimbolio
3. ff46
4. ...
5. ...
6. ...
7. ...
8. ...
9. ...
10. ...

MAYBE:
1. Mouzer11
2. PureStreet
3. Terry White

Last edited by Velociraptor on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:19 pm; edited 12 times in total
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Redington Pass Cleanup - Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 19-20 Reply with quote

Ken, you lead, I'll take Tail

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Redington Pass Cleanup - Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 1 Reply with quote

Tail documenting trail >>> lead documenting trail

I think most would agree!

Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Redington Pass Cleanup - Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 19-20 Reply with quote

I am happy to take the lead. Very Happy

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 9AM Reply with quote

I'll be doing a pre-run to document the trail. Might do some clean up on it during this run though.
Ken, This is a 10 hour day,
You might want to kick off earlier to avoid running the last hill climbs/descents in the dark. (Or maybe that's your plan) since you have more lights on your truck than a North Sea Oil platform

Last edited by Jimbolio on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

updated start time to 7AM Very Happy

Shooter
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

Please add us to the list. (Bob and Nancy)
ff46
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

Count me in
Cactusman
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

I think I can make the cleanup and the run. Count me in. I don't have skids. I do have a OME lift and rails... should be an adventure

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

I would not do the gap without skids

glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

Cactusman wrote:
I think I can make the cleanup and the run. Count me in. I don't have skids. I do have a OME lift and rails... should be an adventure
Highly advise not to do the gap without skids
Just like jimbo said

azfj owners are the best
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

Agreed, this is not a trail to be taken lightly.

Not only should you have both skids and sliders for this trail, but a keen driving sense. There are numerous sections where you can roll or damage the truck if you are not careful.

This is one of my top Two favorite trails in all of AZ, but just be aware it's a pretty technical trail, that is for sure an all day adventure

"New England Patriots - 2017 Superbowl Champs!"
Cactusman
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

Noted. Never mind then. Lol. Thanks guys. Guess I have to get some skids.

ratfink
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

I have done the gap without skids. Of course it was easy for me because I was running it with ZZmikey, Jake the great, and the mystical Mike Tibbal. Oh yeah, Jimbo was there too.
There was carnage, but I lucked out and it wasn't me!

Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Charouleau Gap Run - Nov 20th - 7AM Reply with quote

The second half of the trail is more washed out now and is pretty much a rock garden in several places. Skids, sliders, a lift and 33in or greater tires are highly recommended. Also Mikey made an excellent point that this is a very technical trail and it requires careful focus to navigate. The last time I did it I was surfing on my skids in many places on the 2nd half of the trail.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: