Monday, April 24, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Viperchick76
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1919

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 30
Total: 31
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: JustinD > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay Reply with quote

Just sharing a nifty little item I found, I'm sure a lot of people can come up with great reasons to need this Smile

Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay

I'm always worried about the primary battery so I tend to make sure everything is only triggered by ACC power.
Now I want some rock lights that would stay on with the engine off, but with a way to have the lights turn off after a set time (couple hours seems good). This way if I forget to turn them off, no problem.

Another application I'd like is to have a delay on the battery isolator between the primary batt and the trailer batt (or second batt if you don't already have a fancy smart circuit). Maybe set to a couple minutes so the primary batt gets priority immediately after starting.
This may be a bit overly complicated for basic applications, and $15 + shipping isn't exactly cheap, but I like that one tiny part opens up a ton of applications.

Here's a little introductory video

Here's an example of a circuit with an additional relay that allows you to press a momentary button to turn a thing on for a specified amount of time.

There are often simpler ways to do these things, but this little gem may be just the part you needed in your rig (but didn't realize until now) Smile

I know there are more than a few non-members that are far beyond my basic electrical / electronic skills, does anybody have any concerns with this route? Or maybe some other practical purposes this may be a good fit for?

I'm learning as I go here, must mod more things...

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay Reply with quote

I always enjoy how you approach problem solving.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
I always enjoy how you approach problem solving.

Thanks Doc Smile
It's a bit of a mixed bag on getting stuff done, but at least it keeps me busy.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay Reply with quote

Well, I ordered 2 so we'll see how they look. The battery isolator part should be simple, just have this inline from switched power, set to however many minutes I want. But the rock lights becomes a bit more complicated because I want to meet a few criteria:
Engine running + switch on = lights on
Engine off +switch on = lights on with auto shut off
Switch off at any time = lights off.
I know this is just another logic puzzle but I'm not above getting some hints Smile

sl33p3r
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay Reply with quote

What are you planning to key off to determine if the engine is running or not?

2016 Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos!!!
sl33p3r
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay Reply with quote

Also, I think your circuit is wrong.
I would connect...
Pin 30 on the relay to your battery before the button
Pin 86 to the yellow output from the timer
Pin 87 to the load (your lights)

The load should not also connect directly to the timer.

This is all based on the assumption that the relay is there so you are running the full amp load of the lights through the timer.

sl33p3r
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay Reply with quote

Never mind... It is too late at night.

I now see what the relay is doing. Wink

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay Reply with quote

sl33p3r wrote:
Never mind... It is too late at night.

I now see what the relay is doing. Wink
Yeah, that was just an example of a latch that had zero draw when off. Technically the same function could be achieved with the timer circuit directly using the blue trigger switch connected to the button, but have a constant 4ma constant draw (may be 0.4ma). Just an example.
What I was thinking for the isolator was simply using a ACC switched circuit as the input power, connecting the output to the trigger on the solenoid (isolator). Giving it about 5 or 10 minutes before it comes on. True, that doesn't guarantee the motor is running but it does work for 99.99% of the cases for me. Otherwise I would have to do setting fancy from the oil pressure sending unit, have that as a trigger.

I'm just exploring what useful (or at least fun) things I can do with these timers.
Smile

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay Reply with quote

This looks pretty cool. Will be watching to see how it works for you. I always liked the option I have seen on Lexus where the lights under the running boards come on much like dome lights. Probably could use this to control lights there like the Lexus? But probably could tap into the dome light circuit too I guess. But where is the fun in that?
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay Reply with quote

mod_muscle wrote:
This looks pretty cool. Will be watching to see how it works for you. I always liked the option I have seen on Lexus where the lights under the running boards come on much like dome lights. Probably could use this to control lights there like the Lexus? But probably could tap into the dome light circuit too I guess. But where is the fun in that?

Damn, there's another thing that sounds nice. I would probably just tap the dome lights, but being me, would add a relay (and probably another fuse) since a normally internal circuit will now be exposed. Yeah, I've got issues.
The deeper problem here is my impulse buy of a Box Of Relays and a few extra KC Cyclone LEDs.
I've actually been studying the full electrical diagram for the FJ (I only found 2007 available, so mostly accurate) to find places to tap lines cleanly.

sl33p3r
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, I am think 2 timers.

1 - Engine Running:
Pull power directly (not switched) using the oil pressure switch to trigger the timer. Set that timer with a delayed start, so that after starting the engine the lights would come on after the selected time and stay on.

2 - engine not running, but power on:
Second timer connected to an ACC line using the relay circuit you have in your first post. when you want the lights on, you press the button and they come on, and stay on for the length set on the timer.

Because these will both be wired to the same light, the two circuits could run the risk of shorting positive to positive, so you would probably want to put some diodes in to only allow current flow in one direction.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head...

BucketBoy
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay Reply with quote

4 gauge I would wait on the Cyclones. Give me a week. I may get a hookup this week.

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay Reply with quote

ProjectTitus wrote:
4 gauge I would wait on the Cyclones. Give me a week. I may get a hookup this week.
Sweet. I already have a few on the way, but I may have use for some more. Great little lights.

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay Reply with quote

So I got 2 relays, and first impression is REALLY small Smile That's it, looks like only a connector but that's the whole thing.
Nothing more yet, I'll see how easily I can get them working the way I like.

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Programmable Multi-Functional Time Delay Relay Reply with quote

So these things are pretty slick. I have one installed to delay the AUX power to the trailer for 5 minutes after start-up. Was actually pretty easy to program once you get into it, I thought it was going to be way more complicated.
Also, I had some questions about programming and construction (needed to know if it was diode protected) and their support replied to emails with pretty good info and ideas pretty quickly.
Probably won't get the rocklight delay off circuit installed until after my trip but pretty sure I have that figured out (in a fairly convoluted fashion).

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: