Wednesday, October 17, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: bmbFJ
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2057

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 147
Total: 147
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer?
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a decent company that offers temporary insurance for a trailer (Like a Turtleback, not a flatbed)? Checked with my auto policy, I'm covered for liability in an accident, but not for damage to the trailer itself. Checked with the credit card company since there is the Auto Rental Insurance coverage, they don't cover trailers - or anything that can be used as a pickup truck - very adamant about that.
Checked with AAA since I have that, they don't cover anything I don't own, no rentals or borrowed.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I'd like to think I don't need it, but there is inherent danger and I'd hate to deal with NOT having insurance.

Thanks.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer? Reply with quote

My trailer is through Progressive since USAA does not offer coverage. Not sure if they are good or not... Smile

2011 Blue FJ
Mods:
AZFJ Sticker, CB Install, Dash iPad Mount, Dual USB Ports, Expeditioneers Skid Plates, Cooper STT Pro tires, OME Lift Kit, solar, HAM Radios, blah and blah....
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer? Reply with quote

1Louder wrote:
My trailer is through Progressive since USAA does not offer coverage. Not sure if they are good or not... Smile
I'll call them, not sure if they do rentals but worth calling.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer? Reply with quote

Progressive
6k for trailer
3K for camping contents
$99/year

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer? Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
Progressive
6k for trailer
3K for camping contents
$99/year

On a trailer that you own.

This is for a rental. That changes things for everyplace I spoke to so far. Well, that and/or I would have to have them as my primary insurance as well, that means car, motorcycle and a few other items moving as well to keep my discounts.

I didn't expect it to be so tough to give a company money. But, this is just part of figuring out adventure logistics I guess.

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer? Reply with quote

looks like progressive offers this:
www.progressivecommerc...terchange/

"Since the exchanged trailers are not owned by you, they require separate insurance coverage because they are not covered under your regular Physical Damage insurance."

but seems to be commercial trailers (IE semi trailers)

so random links:
www.trustedchoice.com/...ge-quotes/
www.mbainsurance.net/q...insurance/

looks at RV insurance (ie travel trailer) for options as well:
www.allstate.com/tools...rance.aspx
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer? Reply with quote

If you're going to rent a trailer, might the rental company offer their own optional coverage?

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer? Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
If you're going to rent a trailer, might the rental company offer their own optional coverage?

This would be the obvious choice. But this being me and all something has to be complicated Smile
The company is a manufacturer that is just now getting into the rental side, not eveverything is in place yet. They are helping me out for this trip in a lot of ways, and they are also looking into what we can make happen with comprehensive coverage. I don't think either of us expected it to be this difficult.
I've been calling places from the links calichaos posted, seems RV rental insurance (and the like) is usually set up from the rental company (owner), then often sold at a markup to the renter.
Planning to be on the road in 14 days, something will pan out by then. (I hope).

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer? Reply with quote

In my thinking, an insurance company would be unlikely to have interest in offering loss coverage for a rental item, at the level of dealing with the renter. I think they would be too concerned about the potential for fraudulent claims.

At least if the insurance company is working with the owner, they can obtain appraisal values.

glideraz wrote:
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer? Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
In my thinking, an insurance company would be unlikely to have interest in offering loss coverage for a rental item, at the level of dealing with the renter. I think they would be too concerned about the potential for fraudulent claims.

At least if the insurance company is working with the owner, they can obtain appraisal values.

I concur, it just me longer to think about it from that aspect.
This is the sort of thing the company is going to have to address before going full bore with the rental business. And just another part of my learning about adventure preparedness and risk management.
I'm sure we'll work something out for this trip, I just don't want to have the constant thought of "break it" = "I'm brokeā€ following me for the entire 2+ week vacation.

I worry a lot.

spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer? Reply with quote

Give me $20,000 and I'll insure it for you. Laughing

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer? Reply with quote

These are spot-on worries.

Since you're considering to do them the favor of beta test the rental idea, how about just writing and signing a waiver that releases you from financial liability for loss, and include a clause that says that any disagreements after the fact are to go through an arbitration process.

In short, I think you could just sign an agreement that the risk is essentially theirs, not yours, and that if it becaomes contentious after the fact of a loss, you can discuss it like grown ups with the help of a trained discussion moderator, instead of creating some sort of Judge Judy episode out of it.

Although the "legalese" of a home brew waiver may be lacking, those types of agreements even when done as law-office level contracts still cannot totally prevent lawsuits, and mostly serve as really strong evidence that both parties were totally aware of the situation before hand. As such, they can go a long way toward preventing flare ups of butt-hurt sniping after a loss.

glideraz wrote:
AZJeepMom84
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer? Reply with quote

I rented a travel trailer and state farm let me add it to my policy temporarily for like $15 bucks.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer? Reply with quote

Yep, we'll probably end up with something like that agreement, unless we can work something else out in time. Truth is that I would feel terrible about either party having to cover the cost in this case, I'm a big fan of the company.

I'll check with State Farm next week, I used to have them as my primary but they got a bit outrageous on the motorcycle pricing with liter-class sport bikes. If current rates are comparable to what I have now, maybe a switch is in order to have access to features like this.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Also, I'll consider fronting $20k for the insurance, let me just check the color printer at work on Monday. Smile

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance on a rented / borrowed trailer? Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:

Also, I'll consider fronting $20k for the insurance, let me just check the color printer at work on Monday. Smile

just in case anyone is curious why 4GaugeSuprise is joking / might be unsuccessful here is some light reading:

www.pcworld.com/articl...nters.html

www.eff.org/press/arch...2005/10/16
seeingyellow.com/

fstoppers.com/news/pho...rency-7291

but...http://www.bitrebels.com/design/how-to-scan-and-open-money-images-in-photoshop/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: