Thursday, June 29, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Mrjoel326
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1943

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 35
Total: 36
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: AZCruiser > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Code P0171 & P0174
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Code P0171 & P0174
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cactusman
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Code P0171 & P0174 Reply with quote

Got a code thrown at me while on greasy spoon last Saturday...

It's the Bank 1&2 lean mixture warning.I have been doing some detective work but want to prod at the great knowledge base that is AZFJ.

What I have found: It could either be a malfunctioning/ dirty MAF sensor. Or something wrong with the fuel sender/pump unit in the gas tank. I guess this is sorta common with trucks that hang out in dusty environments.

What I have done: Cleaned the MAF sensor with cleaner and unplugged the battery. The lights just came on again after about 40 mi of driving.

I am about to go to O'Reilly's and get a MAF sensor.. but I want to test the one in my car first. I have a Scangauge 2 that I picked up from a fellow non member just yesterday. The gauge reads an intake temperature, so that tells me the MAF is working? Maybe?

I'm not sure how else I can test the functionality before I drop about $100. Not a big deal, but if I don't have to, that would be great.

The next thing to do is go with a URD pump and in line filter upgrade if the MAF change out doesnt work (a sweet $160). There's NO way I'm spending $600 bucks on a factory sending unit (since you can't simply change the filter sock on it without buying a whole new unit.)

I'm thinking is the fuel pump because the CEL came on while in 4WL. This would be when the engine is in high RPM needing high fuel flow, which it wasn't getting. Just a thought.

Just wondering what you guys think or if you have had experience with that sort of error code.

Thank you!

Last edited by Cactusman on Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Code P0171 & P0174 Reply with quote

Mine was the Fuel Pump. Same Codes. Buy the MAF from Spaldam's amazon store, you'll save $30 bucks. I replaced the MAF and it lasted about a year. Failed on El Camino Del Diablo. (Not a place for that happening).

Turns out it wasn't the MAF at all but the FUEL pump in the tank. Sad

Had to Uhaul my FJ home to Tucson from Yuma.

There's an aftermarket solution.

Calichaos?

Last edited by Jimbolio on Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Code P0171 & P0174 Reply with quote

Sounds to me like the fuel pump or more appropriately the fuel filter sock. But since that is not available you must replace as an assembly. Best to go with the URD pump upgrade.

Don't buy a new MAF sensor. Clean the old one. The actual hot wire sensor is down inside the tube.

TLCA# 18990
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Code P0171 & P0174 Reply with quote

You are on the right track. MAF can go out over time. There is really only some basic testing that can easily be done (other than cleaning) so may as well replace it (you would have to eventually). URD fuel pump is what I will do when the time comes, not many other options worth mentioning.
What air box/ filter are you running?

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Cactusman
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Code P0171 & P0174 Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:
You are on the right track. MAF can go out over time. There is really only some basic testing that can easily be done (other than cleaning) so may as well replace it (you would have to eventually). URD fuel pump is what I will do when the time comes, not many other options worth mentioning.
What air box/ filter are you running?
Yea, you guys have pretty much solidified what I have been thinking. URD here I come..

I had a AME CAI on the truck. Took it off because it wasn't for me. (If anyone wants it let me know). Now I'm running stock, looking for a closed box CAI (TRD type) .

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Code P0171 & P0174 Reply with quote

Just my 2 pennies so take it for what it's worth. I would be very hesitant to install that URD pump. Not because it's URD. But because it's not a factory set up. I've built many hot rods over the years and have installed many different fuel pumps. There is a reason the factory goes with an in tank fuel pump. They have spent way more money than we all have combined on development. The two cars I built with fuel injection required GOOD fuel systems. The first one had an external pump much like the URD pump. No Bueno. Next was a in tank Walbro pump. Much better but not perfect. My last car with LS2 had a 2010+ Camaro fuel module in tank and controlled by a PWM controller. That system worked flawlessly. why? Because it was the most like a factory designed system than any other system out there.
I know the factory set up is expensive. And I know the URD will work. But think about the reliability of your factory pump. I suspect you have over a 100k on your pump. I'd be willing to bet money you will not see that kind of life out of the URD pump.
Just something to think about.
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Code P0171 & P0174 Reply with quote

mod_muscle wrote:
Just my 2 pennies so take it for what it's worth. I would be very hesitant to install that URD pump. Not because it's URD. But because it's not a factory set up. I've built many hot rods over the years and have installed many different fuel pumps. There is a reason the factory goes with an in tank fuel pump. They have spent way more money than we all have combined on development. The two cars I built with fuel injection required GOOD fuel systems. The first one had an external pump much like the URD pump. No Bueno. Next was a in tank Walbro pump. Much better but not perfect. My last car with LS2 had a 2010+ Camaro fuel module in tank and controlled by a PWM controller. That system worked flawlessly. why? Because it was the most like a factory designed system than any other system out there.
I know the factory set up is expensive. And I know the URD will
work. But think about the reliability of your factory pump. I suspect you have over a 100k on your pump. I'd be willing to bet money you will not see that kind of life out of the URD pump.
Just something to think about.

The URD setup IS an in-tank pump. I have found nothing but positive feedback from those who have upgraded, not only with FJs but on Tacos too. Normally I agree to say with stock when possible but in this case it's not the pump itself failing it's the prefilter sock clogging up. This piece is not replaceable. The URD setup eliminates this sock and uses an extenal filter.
This will be the route I take WHEN mine clogs and it will. Just a matter of time.

TLCA# 18990
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Code P0171 & P0174 Reply with quote

Could the sock be removed, and an external, easier to replace external filter be put in place instead?

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Code P0171 & P0174 Reply with quote

Yes

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Cactusman
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Code P0171 & P0174 Reply with quote

That is sort of the point of the URD option. Unfortunately... I don't think you can remove the sock without ruining the factory unit.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Code P0171 & P0174 Reply with quote

Correct

Cactusman
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Code P0171 & P0174 Reply with quote

So, the help that I needed this Saturday bailed on me.

Anyone wish to help me drop my tank and install this thing? (I.e. have me come over since my drive way is on a steep incline.)

If not... no big deal. Just thought I'd ask.

spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Code P0171 & P0174 Reply with quote

I'll be home all day tomorrow and have an only slightly inclined driveway. I'm in Mesa near Mountain View.

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
Cactusman
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Code P0171 & P0174 Reply with quote

spaldam wrote:
I'll be home all day tomorrow and have an only slightly inclined driveway. I'm in Mesa near Mountain View.
Thanks Spaldam. I actually recruited someone from work. I appreciate it though!

Good news. Got the pump installed and noticed an improvement in acceleration. I'm thinking the pump was going bad, rather than a clogged sock. The sock wasn't that bad looking.

The install was ok. Instructions could have been a little more detailed. Got through it though. I am pleased with the results and I can write up a review if anyone is interested in doing this mod.

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Code P0171 & P0174 Reply with quote

Cactusman wrote:
spaldam wrote:
Thanks Spaldam. I actually recruited someone from work. I appreciate it though!

Good news. Got the pump installed and noticed an improvement in acceleration. I'm thinking the pump was going bad, rather than a clogged sock. The sock wasn't that bad looking.

The install was ok. Instructions could have been a little more detailed. Got through it though. I am pleased with the results and I can write up a review if anyone is interested in doing this mod.

I'd like to have some notes about the install posted up for a later date. Not planning on needing a pump soon, I'm just past 60K but racking up 20K a year and not being gentle about it.
I do consider what mod_muscle is saying, that is in line with my usual thinking on Toyota parts, especially in critical systems. That said, with the feedback I've found on the URD pump, I'm leaning a bit to URD if I had to replace the pump tonight. Will continue collecting information so when the day comes (I can be more deeply conflicted).

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: