Wednesday, June 28, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Mrjoel326
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1943

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 43
Total: 43
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd Reply with quote

itsafjthing wrote:
A thank you to Glider for the Auto Zone info. Picked up some Pentofrost coolant and learned about a 24 hour AutoZone.
Your welcome

azfj owners are the best
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd Reply with quote

Post up your pics and videos

"New England Patriots - 2017 Superbowl Champs!"
LimitedEdition
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd Reply with quote

ProjectTitus wrote:
Great meeting some of you today and seeing those I've already met. We made it home safe and I may or may not now have a date to homecoming this year Wink

One of my proudest moments witnessing this take place. Hope the pictures turned out ok. PS - that relationship will be illegal in about 1 year, so be careful there...

Great meeting some of you...now I have a good reason to get some real sliders and armor on the FJ and Mike's long travel makes it tempting to replace the Toytec setup...

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd Reply with quote

Truly an amazing day!

We made it up to Crown King super fast (about 4.5 hours after leaving airdown), which is pretty impressive conisdering we had almost 20 rigs and did all the obstacles.

Our method of Glider Leading and taking the faster more experienced rigs first, me in the middle spotting the rest of the group, and then Sl33p3r runnung tail and helping the rear rigs worked really well. We were able to leapfrog and keep the pace going.

We had a lot of new folks as well, but everyone tried at least one if not multiple of the obstacles.

About 8 of us tried the hard obstacle with 5 successes. I am pleased to say I got up on the first try without getting stuck using my stock suspension.

Splagg gets the award for trying, although he did lose his bumper wing and a license plate cover, taking away Grinder's title.

Velociraptor coulda/shoulda gotten up it the first try but he let off the accelerator after I told him to bump it and got stuck, at which point I might or might not have sworn at him. He successfully got up the 2nd time, and did not let off the accelerator at which point I had to dive for cover as he almost hit his spotter. I hope there are video/pics of my ninja-like skills Smile

We got up to town and some folks hit the Saloon and some hit the Mill. You cannot, of course, goto CK without leaving town with amazing fudge, of which I departed with more than a pound of.

Most folks went down the front way through Cleter and I-17 and Glider/Mamba went back down the back way (which is a story by itself).

Sonoran Steve, Splagg, and I took Senator Highway to Prescott which is awlays a beautiful drive and we made it up there in pretty good time as well (just under 2.5 hours).

The ultimate payoff of course is the best Ice Cream in AZ! Young's Dairy is a treat I always get as they have super-yummy Cherry Chocolate Chip and White Chocolate Coconut.

All in all, an amazing day with great peeps!

The Rest of my Album
s1076.photobucket.com/...-%20090316

Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd Reply with quote

Another great AZFJ outing which could have only been better if I hadn't missed Mikey on the way up the last obstacle! I remember him saying something like, "keep coming, don't let off the gas" and then afterwards he complained about me following his instructions! Very Happy

PureStreet
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd Reply with quote

I happily passed on the 2nd to last climb but should've done the last one. The wife wasn't super happy with not having all 4 on the ground at all times so hopefully I can leverage that into long travel. It was on my 2016 goal list but we've had some household things pop up that needed attention before 6k in suspension work.
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd Reply with quote

PureStreet wrote:
I happily passed on the 2nd to last climb but should've done the last one. The wife wasn't super happy with not having all 4 on the ground at all times so hopefully I can leverage that into long travel. It was on my 2016 goal list but we've had some household things pop up that needed attention before 6k in suspension work.

You only need rear long travel, if your goal is to be a more capable wheeling truck. Front Kong travel gets you minimal gain.

A rear setup you could probably get for $2k+ or so.

glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd Reply with quote

zzmikey wrote:
PureStreet wrote:

You only need rear long travel, if your goal is to be a more capable wheeling truck. Front Kong travel gets you minimal gain.

Kong travel is the super bestest

azfj owners are the best
Blender
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd Reply with quote

zzmikey wrote:
PureStreet wrote:

Front looks totally pitted and shreds the gnar. Bro life.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd Reply with quote

glideraz wrote:
zzmikey wrote:
PureStreet wrote:

Especially when you fill it with peanut butter and freeze it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
LESZMOR
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd Reply with quote

PureStreet wrote:

Tell her that the OLD SAYING is if you have all 4 on the ground your not doing things right or not having enough fun.

LESZMOR
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd Reply with quote

MAMBA wrote:
Shotgun open...

Hey Hey Nestor nice meeting you on Saturday Bud & don't worry you won't have a empty Shot Gun Seat when you venture out on those Solid Axle required trips

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
glideraz wrote:
zzmikey wrote:
PureStreet wrote:

Especially when you fill it with peanut butter and freeze it.

This went to a (cold) dark place REALLY fast. !!

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd Reply with quote

Just the way we like it.....lol

azfj owners are the best
sl33p3r
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Back Way to Crown King - Sat, Sept 3rd Reply with quote

Did anyone get any photos or video of me on any of the obstacles?

I did not take any photos. Sad

2016 Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: