Sunday, October 22, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: DesertXplorer
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1979

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 38
Total: 39
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: duner > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Input on Suspension Upgrade
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Input on Suspension Upgrade
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

I've never heard of anyone ever having to replace their bilstiens. Except that boss shit.......Springs and control arms seem to make a difference. I love my superflex HDs especially when towing....

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

azflycaster wrote:
I've never heard of anyone ever having to replace their bilstiens. Except that boss shit.......Springs and control arms seem to make a difference. I love my superflex HDs especially when towing....

A few of us have broken bilstiens.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
GillT
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Input on Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

Instead of creating a new thread I decided to add to an existing one.

I am trying to determine if I want a long travel kit or just standard lift with Upper Control Arm (UCA) replacement. I like the Total Chaos suspension product. I also heard from Mike that the group has experienced good luck with RadFlo shocks.

I am seriously considering the RadFlo stage 6 kit at Metaltech.
Metaltech Link

I have had issues with geometry in the past on other vehicles so was thinking of asking for the UCAs with Heim Pivots instead of what they put in the kit. Does anyone have feedback on this?

Now to long travel. This seems to add a bunch to cost but I would think it would give lift while maintaining geometry closer to stock on the axles. Does anyone run long travel kits on their rig? Any opinions pro or con?

I only want to do this once so I want to ask the questions first. I am not going to do extreme rock crawling and plan to do more overland stuff. With that being said I don't mind being over engineered. Once I have the lift on I will start adding the weight and expect I will have to upgrade springs at some point but not today. My truck is stock now but will not be for long.

Thanks for any feedback. I am also going to post on Facebook.

A highly dangerous virus called "Weekly Overload Recreational Killer" (WORK) is currently going around. If you come in contact with this WORK virus, you should immediately go to the nearest BAR for "Biological Anxiety Relief".
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Input on Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

Long travel as in extended width or just long travel 2 different beasts

azfj owners are the best
GillT
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Input on Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

The kit is extended travel. I am also considering long travel which requires an axel change. I really do not know what long travel gives me other than more width and I would expect better geometry when extended.

A highly dangerous virus called "Weekly Overload Recreational Killer" (WORK) is currently going around. If you come in contact with this WORK virus, you should immediately go to the nearest BAR for "Biological Anxiety Relief".
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Input on Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

If your just doing overland stick with regular width extended travel.
Racing or doing triple digit offroad driving or need something to prove then go 3 inch over long travel

azfj owners are the best
GillT
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

That is what I am thinking as well, stock width extended travel. I am looking at maybe sourcing items from a local distributor. Still researching and will probably purchase end of week. Thank you for the input.

somjon
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

I have no complaints with my bilstein shocks. Have them for 2 years now and they are still working great. Icon is definitely a good brand. They are pricey though.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Input on Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

somjon wrote:
I have no complaints with my bilstein shocks. Have them for 2 years now and they are still working great. Icon is definitely a good brand. They are pricey though.
Many people don't feel quite the same about Icon after using them.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: