Wednesday, December 19, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: jameswise
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2065

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 91
Total: 91
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Oak Creek Homestead partial closure??
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Oak Creek Homestead partial closure??
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Oak Creek Homestead partial closure?? Reply with quote

I was told by a friend today that Oak Creek Homestead is now gated and off-limits to motor vehicles at the bottom of the ledge decent. He said you can still walk to the river but cannot drive to it.

Can anyone confirm this?
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead partial closure?? Reply with quote

Oh geez, not another one

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead partial closure?? Reply with quote

experience-az.com/adve...creek.html

See the comment section at the bottom
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead partial closure?? Reply with quote

Bet the pink jeeps have a key

LMFAO $55 TO RIDE UP SChNEBLY HILL

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead partial closure?? Reply with quote

The Coconino vehicle use map for at least the last couple of years has shown that road stopping between Cliffhanger and Homestead. So technically it has been closed for years...

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
Bliss
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead partial closure?? Reply with quote

The Arizona Back Roads and 4 Wheel Drive Trails book that I have had for at least 3 years talks about the closure and gate. I think this was decided years ago and is just now getting installed.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead partial closure?? Reply with quote

How far of a walk is it to the water from there?

TUFFY
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead partial closure?? Reply with quote

I dunno, maybe less than a quarter mile.
But no one is going to carry all their camping gear down this steep (used to be fun) climb to the camping spot.
Our tax dollars at work.

Dravur
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead partial closure?? Reply with quote

Hmmmmm,

I was down there two weekends ago and I drove right up to the creek. I didnt see a gate at all. There was a fence kind of around the final bend, but it is the same one that has always been there.

The last little stretch of road where you break out into the "creek" area was kind of tippy in the Tundra.
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead partial closure?? Reply with quote

Dravur wrote:
The last little stretch of road where you break out into the "creek" area was kind of tippy in the Tundra.

I would imagine that if this road was closed it would be closed because of the washout on that particular section...
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead partial closure?? Reply with quote

Someone needs to Scout this out!

FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead partial closure?? Reply with quote

Maybe I will make a run up there next weekend..

I trust my friend and expect it to be closed, and I believe Justin Muir was with him on the trip, so that would be a non-member that was there.
Sakib
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead partial closure?? Reply with quote

FatRat wrote:

I trust my friend and expect it to be closed, and I believe Justin Muir was with him on the trip, so that would be a non-member that was there.

34.809279, -111.869730

Is where the closure/gate is, can be bypassed by MTB's, smaller quads and dirt bikes via small gate left of the large one. I was there around 4/21 with a group.
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead partial closure?? Reply with quote

Sakib wrote:
FatRat wrote:

34.809279, -111.869730

Is where the closure/gate is, can be bypassed by MTB's, smaller quads and dirt bikes via small gate left of the large one. I was there around 4/21 with a group.

That's is the place my friend said it was. Cool, now I don't need to go out there to check. Can do funner runs instead.
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Oak Creek Homestead partial closure?? Reply with quote

I need to get up there soon and check it out so I can update my write-up of this:

www.trailsoffroad.com/...-homestead

Unfortunately I'm busy the next couple of weeks remodeling my house...

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: