Monday, April 24, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Viperchick76
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1919

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 22
Total: 22
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you!
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you!
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you! Reply with quote

Glad it is working for folks. Enjoy.. and while I don't work for GAIA I am trying to collect info on how our segment of the GPS/tracking world uses it in hopes of improvements.
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you! Reply with quote

Talk them into tying into aprsdroid to overlay station positions and youll have half the forum worshipping you

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you! Reply with quote

1Louder wrote:

Which version you use iOS or Android
Have you used GAIA Pro in the past?
How long have you used GAIA?
Do you have a favorite source for getting GPX tracks for areas you have never been to?

Android 6.0.1 Currently (Galaxy S7 Edge)
No
Few years?
Off road tracks usually from azfj, hiking tracks from hikearizona.com

Homedad wrote:
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you! Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
That trails offroad stuff must be very popular, people were lining up to eat their Waffelzz!
Spaldam was in their booth.

We just handed out a few hundred hundred flyers is all.

Most of us use GAIA too, but be careful while using it or you could end up rolling your purple FJ down a mountain near Jerome.

spaldam.com/#amazon

- spaldam.com
KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you! Reply with quote

I use the IOS version
user for about 3 years
I think i once had a pro account
I usually use whatever maps are on the list for downloads

I am in competition with no one
I have no desire to play the game,
of being better than anyone
I am simply trying to be better,
than the person I was yesterday
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you! Reply with quote

Thoreau wrote:
Talk them into tying into aprsdroid to overlay station positions and youll have half the forum worshipping you

A more likely scenario would be some type of feed from APRS.FI but you would need an internet connection. The question has been asked through the years and currently not enough requests to commit any development time to it.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you! Reply with quote

It would be nice to be able to turn the Waypoint lables ON/OFF so you can see what they were named.

PRO: advantages:
1. Weather - simply seeing where the storms are has saved my life. (I know that will disappoint some of you)
2. Overlay transparency:
I downloaded the Historic 1930 Topo, and if you overlay the modern Topo and play with the transparency to see what still exists, or what may be nearby worth investigating, this alone pays for the $39.99/year.
3. Add other Layers
Handy for some (Like me) if you have access to other GIS data like Wildfire boundary, etc.

Either way, it's worth being a PRO on Gaia

Cool FJ overland write up. Isn't this a non-member?
www.google.com/url?hl=...6Dw76Dn_WQ

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you! Reply with quote

Thatd be somewhat interesting in that it would open up overlays onto some more map layers, but everyone I know of thats had interest is wanting it for the offline/cached capability. IE: trail runs in tge middle of nowhere where the only position feeds would be sourced from RF.

Even that is already doable with aprsdroid, and apparently can do full offline caching, but thats only basic google street maps. Not to mention a seperate app to have to swap back to when gaia is what we need for nav.

Homedad wrote:
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you! Reply with quote

1Louder wrote:
Thoreau wrote:

A more likely scenario would be some type of feed from APRS.FI but you would need an internet connection. The question has been asked through the years and currently not enough requests to commit any development time to it.

I submitted another request to them about APRS and indicated if they did it it would bring another group of people that would use their app.

I got a response saying it was posted. Maybe people could find it and vote on it or support it, or whatever they do with it.
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you! Reply with quote

Random thought, and not meaning to derail the thread, but any idea if the aprsdroid people are open to assisting? I dont know how things are programmed on the back end, but if aprsdroid could spit out data in a format that gaia recognizes as cached map layer/waypoint data (a la gpx file?), and gaia could be set to refresh that data either upon change or set intervals, it could be an easy fix.

Kinda makes me wanna get back i to programming just to try...

Homedad wrote:
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you! Reply with quote

FatRat wrote:
1Louder wrote:
Thoreau wrote:

I submitted another request to them about APRS and indicated if they did it it would bring another group of people that would use their app.

I got a response saying it was posted. Maybe people could find it and vote on it or support it, or whatever they do with it.

Vote for APRS in GAIA
SpoilerFJ84
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you! Reply with quote

Which version you use? iOS
Have you used GAIA Pro in the past? No
How long have you used GAIA? 0
Do you have a favorite source for getting GPX tracks for areas you have never been to? Not yet.

This sounds like exactly what I was looking for since I bought an iPad last month...

pattio2
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you! Reply with quote

Have you used GAIA Pro in the past? yes
How long have you used GAIA? just started my free trial before i found this thread
Do you have a favorite source for getting GPX tracks for areas you have never been to? still looking.
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you! Reply with quote

pattio2 wrote:
Have you used GAIA Pro in the past? yes
How long have you used GAIA? just started my free trial before i found this thread
Do you have a favorite source for getting GPX tracks for areas you have never been to? still looking.

I always just search for things like "Backroad to Crow King GPX" . However, Funtreks books offer free waypoints. Trailsoffroad.com is an up and coming resource with lots of AZ trails.
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: How many of you use GAIA? Free stuff for you! Reply with quote

Bump... I forgot to add this here. Dealing with Zip files in iOS is a pain.

For those that like to import tracks directly from your iPad here is a write up on how to do it. Specifically on dealing with Zip files in iOS.

Enjoy....

www.4xoverlandadventur...ad-iphone/

2011 Blue FJ
Mods:
AZFJ Sticker, CB Install, Dash iPad Mount, Dual USB Ports, Expeditioneers Skid Plates, Cooper STT Pro tires, OME Lift Kit, solar, HAM Radios, blah and blah....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: