Friday, June 23, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: KICKROCKS
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1942

People Online:
Members: 2
Visitors: 37
Total: 39
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: Jagaliscious > Home
02: ratfink > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Slow speed shutter
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Slow speed shutter
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Slow speed shutter Reply with quote

Im occasionally experiencing a small shudder that occurs during light acceleration at around 20-25 MPH.

Its kind of like a staccato shaking, as if over a highway rumble strip, but lighter.

Anyone experienced this in their FJ?

I just had the tires rotated and balanced a week ago, but the next day it happened just the same.

Acceleration and freeway driving are still fine.

Maybe I need new shocks or is my driveshaft or gears acting up?

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow speed shutter Reply with quote

Or your rear links bushing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
FJFEVER
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Slow speed shutter Reply with quote

Check u-joints as well

195,162 FINAL MILES. DOA AFTER ROLLOVER.
NEXT CHAPTER...223,000 miles
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Slow speed shutter Reply with quote

Take it out of Drive and use 4th. Does it still occur? If not, it's well documented on the Blue Room. Torque converter shudder. Most are easily fixed by doing a complete ATF flush.

TLCA# 18990
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Slow speed shutter Reply with quote

toyo22r wrote:
Take it out of Drive and use 4th. Does it still occur? If not, it's well documented on the Blue Room. Torque converter shudder. Most are easily fixed by doing a complete ATF flush.

My thought as well. Usually a good idea to make sure they do a "complete fluid change" and not a traditional "FLUSH". The term gets tossed around freely but many times the flush involves a high powered pump forcing fluid and/or cleaners through the system. The Complete fluid swap uses a machine to keep fresh fluid supplied at the correct temp to the transmission while they let the vehicle run and do it's own pumping.

Some say you never need it, but there have been a lot of FJ's that have had "shuddder" issues and the fluid swap fixed it.

Personally, I'm considering doing this somewhere around 70K on mine just because I drive aggressively and I'll feel like I did preventative maintenance.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Slow speed shutter Reply with quote

If you don't have a transmission cooler I can guarantee at 70K your fluid is black and nasty. I flushed mine at 25k and it was funky then! I added the cooler and every 30k I drain the pan only and replenish. This keeps the fluid constantly fresh. To say the fluid is lifetime or the system is "sealed" is complete BS.

TLCA# 18990
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Slow speed shutter Reply with quote

Man I just turned 130K just back from an 1800 Mi RT to San Antonio, not a jitter thanks to CrazyJohn. OH, sorry, I have an MT6. The Throwout bearing squeels a bit (Replaced at 80K) but other than that no issues.

My new fuel pump sure got a work out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Slow speed shutter Reply with quote

toyo22r wrote:
If you don't have a transmission cooler I can guarantee at 70K your fluid is black and nasty. I flushed mine at 25k and it was funky then! I added the cooler and every 30k I drain the pan only and replenish. This keeps the fluid constantly fresh. To say the fluid is lifetime or the system is "sealed" is complete BS.
I may consider getting the fluid replaced at 60K then, I'm almost there and I know what the diff and Xfer case oils looked like at 50K.
I am not currently experiencing any transmission problems, but I am paranoid so, I guess it's worth the cost just to feel better.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow speed shutter Reply with quote

I remember when I did the complete service at Camelback Toyota at 90k on my last FJ it felt like new! Do the power steering flush too!

spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow speed shutter Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I did a power steering flush a couple months ago, and made a big mess trying to do it myself... 8| But at least it now looks the correct color of red instead of clear and is more responsive.

I also check my bushings once in a while, and so far don't see any excessive play in them, but that can be hard to tell by hand.

Anyway, I did a quick drain and fill on the tranny a few years ago when I first got the FJ, so maybe it's time for a real flush. I guess it's time to get to know Cambelback Toyota?

And yeah, "sealed" really just means there's no dip-stick to check the fluid regularly. Who's dumb idea was that?

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
progolfer_20
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow speed shutter Reply with quote

I did the DIY transmission flush from the blue room and installed a transmission cooler, also did Dons a few weeks after mine. It was very easy.

AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Slow speed shutter Reply with quote

spaldam wrote:
Im occasionally experiencing a small shudder that occurs during light acceleration at around 20-25 MPH.

Its kind of like a staccato shaking, as if over a highway rumble strip, but lighter.

I was going to suggest loose lug nuts but if it happened before AND after your rotation/balance then it's not likely.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: