Wednesday, August 21, 2019

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: TeeJay
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2103

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 86
Total: 86
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Fridge wiring?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Fridge wiring?
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattbeaty
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Fridge wiring? Reply with quote

Calling on the help of you knowledgeable FJ peeps once again.

Just got a fridge to play with by a company whose name I cannot disclose at this time. I want full time power to it in the rear of the vehicle, but the stock cigarette lighter isn't a great solution for that, since it shuts off when the truck is off, and I have other stuff plugged into it.

I do *not* want to hard wire it to the battery. Needs to be able to disconnect and come out of the truck with zero effort. I think using the supplied cigarette 12v plug would be ideal...

Should I run a cigarette lighter to the rear straight from the battery (inline fuse) or is there a better way?

2.4 amp draw at 12.5v

I'm a moron at electricity, but I've been able to wire everything up myself so far...

Looking into dual-battery eventually, just not quite there yet.

WA7LDO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge wiring? Reply with quote

Assuming you ran from the battery, through the firewall, driver side door sil area, and terminated roughly where the jack is stored, it'd be pretty simple. Looking at about 12ft of wire on the conservative side, maybe 16ish?

2.4 amps, lets round it to 3 just for safety, id run 14ga wire. I like overkill. And lack of fires. Put a decent fuse in right at the battery, stranded wire, and theres no shortage of ground points back there for the neg side.

Biggest issue would be making sure you dont drain the battery. Presumably the fridge has a low voktage cutoff. If not, powerwerx.com has some options that you can add in to provide that functionality.

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge wiring? Reply with quote

I ran mine from the primary battery area, along the firewall, through the rubber wire gasket, down the passenger kick panel and up to the starboard rear quarter area. So effectivly, I run off the secondary battery all the time

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
mattbeaty
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge wiring? Reply with quote

Thanks, gents. That's exactly the confirmation I was hoping for. Time for some wiring, I guess.

Fridge does have a low battery cutoff. 10.4v or something. Part of the game for the next couple months is making sure everything works as specified, so we'll see if I end up in the market for a new battery Wink

WA7LDO
CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge wiring? Reply with quote

I ran 10g wire for both installs. I used low voltage landscape wire for Rachel's truck. Works great and is low cost.

Everything runs from a Blue Sea fuse block next to the battery.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge wiring? Reply with quote

Man, you won't be starting your FJ at 10.4 V.
I hope you are driving a Stick.

I used 10G Zipline just like Ceefish. Ran from my Bluesea (Which is NEAR the primary battery on top of the fusebox). then to the back passenger side.

mattbeaty
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge wiring? Reply with quote

Hoping it was a typo on the shutoff point... I guess there's only one way to find out!

WA7LDO
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge wiring? Reply with quote

Buy the ARB wiring harness. It has everything you need. Easy to run $47 bucks. Or go DIY and get a BlueSea 12 volt socket some 8 or 10 gauge wiring, an inline fuse, some stuff to protect the wiring and spend $30. Smile

ARB Fridge Freezer Wiring Accesories
by ARB
Link: amzn.com/B00NIOBC02

Keep It Clean 141322 10 Gauge ATC Fuse Holder with Cover
by Keep It Clean
Link: amzn.com/B003TVJ3FA

Blue Sea Systems 12 Volt Dash Socket
by Blue Sea Systems
Link: amzn.com/B001U4ZZPK

Pyramid 8 Gauge Power Wire 25 feet OFC
by Pyramid
Link: amzn.com/B000MM2WIO

Pyramid RPB825 Ground Wire 8-Gauge, 25 Feet, Flexible, OFC Cable Wire, Translucent (Black)
by Pyle
Link: amzn.com/B000K8MUWI

Stinger 8 Gauge Crimp Style Ring Terminal 2 Pair
by Stinger
Link: amzn.com/B001H52Z64
Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge wiring? Reply with quote

Hey Matt,

I just installed a fridge in my rig a few weeks ago. I added a Blue Sea 12v outlet in the rear behind the larger rear seat (see my build thread for a pic). I could have wired it directly to my Aux battery which is trickle charged by my 100W solar panel but since I recently added a Powerwerx RIGrunner 4004U to my cockpit for radios, I ran the power from there since the 4004U is already connected to my Aux battery. My fridge also has 3 settings for when it cuts out due to low battery so I don't really have to worry about the battery. I used the red/black wire from Powerwerx to wire up everything connected to the RIGrunner with Anderson connectors. If you don't need power for other items then the RIGrunner is overkill. I do like that it gives me two more USB outlets!

1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge wiring? Reply with quote

My latest setup with an ArkPak instead of dual battery. It can be charged via solar, DC while driving, or AC. My plug is in the removable curved panel back left corner.

mattbeaty
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge wiring? Reply with quote

I dig that location for the plug. I bought a BlueSea 12v with 2 USB, and will probably put the plug there. Perfect location for how I have my cargo set up.

Thanks!

WA7LDO
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge wiring? Reply with quote

mattbeaty wrote:
I dig that location for the plug. I bought a BlueSea 12v with 2 USB, and will probably put the plug there. Perfect location for how I have my cargo set up.

Thanks!

You're welcome. I have never had an issue with the plug getting knocked around that way.
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge wiring? Reply with quote

I also added a switch to the same outlet so I can turn off the power when I want. I like having always on outlets but this one can be used to charge my ArkPak battery box when driving and then easily turned off when I camp for the night.

mattbeaty
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge wiring? Reply with quote

1Louder wrote:
I also added a switch to the same outlet so I can turn off the power when I want. I like having always on outlets but this one can be used to charge my ArkPak battery box when driving and then easily turned off when I camp for the night.

Does anyone sell ArkPak locally? I'm very curious about that as a solution to my impending battery problem (I can feel it coming...)

WA7LDO
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge wiring? Reply with quote

mattbeaty wrote:
1Louder wrote:

Does anyone sell ArkPak locally? I'm very curious about that as a solution to my impending battery problem (I can feel it coming...)

Not that I am aware of. I purchased mine directly from them. They are also on Amazon but I believe they ship from ArkPak. Let me know when you might be down in the East Valley and I would be happy to show you mine. I have the 715. The 730 has fancier readouts and a larger inverter.

The main reason I like this over the Goal Zero/Yeti options is you pick whatever battery you want up to a monster Group 31. You can charge via solar (needs a controller), DC, or AC.

Here's a link to the PDF manual. 240volt version but gives you a good idea.
arkcorp.com.au//Conten...120315.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: