Friday, December 14, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: jameswise
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2065

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 247
Total: 248
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: TOY4WD > Home

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15 Reply with quote

Who's up for round 2!?

I'm planning on a big loop around the high desert north of Cottonwood and west of Sedona on Saturday, December 12th. With about 50 miles in the dirt, we'll visit Robber's Roost, Honanki, and the Greasy Spoon trail as well as a whole lot of beautiful and thoroughly dusty desert in between.

Starting out with a rugged stretch from the Sycamore Canyon Road to 258. From there we'll skirt around the Mago Retreat complex and travel along a pretty serious powerline corridor before hitting 525C, a well maintained dirt thoroughfare. We're going to head down 525C for about a mile and detour up 9530 which will take us to a trailhead for Robber's Roost. This is an approximately 1.5 mile round trip hike that goes up to a pretty awesome spot on the side of a red rock mountain. After the hike, we'll head back down to 525C and caravan down to 9549. There, we'll head north on a much smaller (read: pinstriping likely) trail that appears to lead all the way up to the Honanki Heritage Site (complete with pit toilets!). 3/4 mile walk at Honanki will take us within arm's reach of bunch of Native American Ruins. From here we baja a few miles down the Loy Butte Road to Boynton Pass where we branch off and get ready for some serious 4x4 action on the Greasy Spoon trail. Also known as Pink Jeep's "Diamondback Gulch" trail, this is definitely rugged but I'd be willing to bet that any 4x4 FJ could handle it with ease. When we get to the end of GS/DBG, we're back on Loy Butte for a southbound skip and then we'll take 525A back westward. It will eventually drop us on the very well maintained Bill Grey Road (761) which will shoot us back down into Cottonwood.

I'm anticipating a long day - probably 6-8 hours, maybe more! Each rig that plans on doing the Honanki walk will need to have a Red Rock Pass ($5 + tax) or a national park pass on their windshield. I'd encourage everyone to pack lunch as well because we won't be touching anything close to civilization once the pavement ends. Don't forget to bring plenty of water!

Meetup location is going to be the large parking lot at Riverfront Park in Cottonwood, near the batting cages. Address is "East River Front Road, Cottonwood, AZ." (You'll turn onto 10th from Main St, following the signs for Dead Horse Ranch State Park, then your first right is East River Front Road - park in the lot on the left). Air down will be a couple miles down, just before the pavement ends on Sycamore Canyon Rd.

Following the GPX, I actually ended the run at a car wash in Cottonwood with FAST free air. Everyone likes to tidy up at the end of a run, right?

Communications will be CB, most likely channel 16 (if there is mad interference from Deliverance hillbillies like what we heard on the Mingus Loop, we'll reconvene on another channel).

A side note: Most of this route can be bypassed! If you aren't sure about your or your vehicles' ability to complete any part of this route, there is a way around. We can set up way-points and meeting spots along the way, on the fly, if need be. There's also about 100 different ways to peace out early and head for 89A.

GPX is attached!

Red Rock Passes are available at the Honanki Heritage site from the site steward. They are unnecessary if you have a Federal Interagency Pass.

Meeting time is 9:30am, on the dirt by 10. Any disc golfers that are up for a round on Riverfront Park need to get there by 8 (or earlier).

With much consideration, I've decided that there should probably be a cap to the number of people on this run. That number is to be determined, but is likely to end up in the 15-20 range.

**IN**
Splagg
sufools
MOD3RN *May have AZFJ shirts available, get one!*
Maltajo
Dravur
DerbyFJ

**MAYBE**
Azviajero
Canuk
Jim (Local - Pathfinder)
Tyler (Local - Jeep)
1Louder
AZCruiser
Jeep (AZCruiser's Friend)
JustinD

Last edited by Splagg on Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:05 pm; edited 22 times in total
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15 Reply with quote

If anyone wants to meet up early for a round of disc golf, the Riverfront course is right next to our meet up spot. One of the best in AZ or so I hear! Aiming for 8am but if a bunch of people want to play we'd need to start earlier. It will be COLD at 8am on 12/12, dress for it.

Last edited by Splagg on Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
azviajero
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15 Reply with quote

Maybe

Canuk
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15 Reply with quote

maybe...got to get pass..
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15 Reply with quote

Registered as maybe, Canuk.

A note on Red Rock Passes - they can be purchased at the Honanki Site, so no need to worry about having them in advance. Just be sure you bring along ~$5.37 to be able to buy one from the site steward while we're there.

Also if you have a "Federal Interagency Pass" you do not need to buy a Red Rock Pass - just put your FIP in the windshield.

Shooter
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15 Reply with quote

Sounds like a good time. Count us in. Is anyone going to be camping. If so where would that be taking place? Thanks for setting up this run.
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15 Reply with quote

Shooter wrote:
Sounds like a good time. Count us in. Is anyone going to be camping. If so where would that be taking place? Thanks for setting up this run.

Good to have you, Shooter.

I'm not planning on camping but dispersed camping is allowed on almost all of this route. If you'd like to plan on camping just scout for a good spot throughout the day - I'm sure we'll pass many!
sufools
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15 Reply with quote

In! ( for the wheelin)

"Conventional opinion is the ruin of our souls." - Rumi
Mod3rn
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15 Reply with quote

In
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15 Reply with quote

Maybe, I may be double booked.
Maltajo
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15 Reply with quote

Maybe!
Working on the wife now.
After I'll ask her about the run!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
sufools
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15 Reply with quote

Maltajo wrote:
Maybe!
Working on the wife now.
After I'll ask her about the run!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Ahhhhh, subtleties....

"Conventional opinion is the ruin of our souls." - Rumi
Maltajo
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15 Reply with quote

Ok I am IN, (It was a good morning)! 😜

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15 Reply with quote

Scouted a section of the run that I hadn't been on today and I gotta say I am even more excited for this excursion! Lincoln Canyon, part of 9551 on the way to Honanki, is just awesome.

Top it off with this wicked sunset!

Last edited by Splagg on Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maltajo
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ruinous High Desert Loop 12/12/15 Reply with quote

Anyone else, from down South, thinking of making this run?

I'm thinking about getting a motel room for Saturday night. Any suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: