Wednesday, October 18, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: DesertXplorer
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1979

People Online:
Members: 2
Visitors: 50
Total: 52
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: calichaos > Forums
02: deaz > Private Messages

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition Reply with quote

Dravur wrote:
When do we start planning for the Aug 12 2045 one?

It appears that OURAY just happens to be dead center for that one. Just sayin! 39yr AZFJ reunion?

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition Reply with quote

"Dead" is not a good word for me in that context.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
airconditionednightmare
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition Reply with quote

Me & ZonieTaco are in, assuming we remember next year. And assuming my work gives me a month off to do it right. I already asked and apparently it's "too early" to request time off for then. Pfft.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition Reply with quote

10 days is a good do it right estimate, 5 days would be the minimum

Two days up, one day eclipsing, two days back

But not hitting Yellowstone while up there is just nuts

Last edited by Jimbolio on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition Reply with quote

Just a reminder that the lodgings for the eclipse are rapidly dwindling. 1Louder and I are staying in the Grant's Campground in Yellowstone (Which is about 40mi from totality, well worth seeing Yellowstone while up there.

It won't look like this when we are there, but this photo is really cool none the less:

spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition Reply with quote

Is Yellowstone back to it's former glory? It was awesome when I was a kid, but the last time I was there about 14 years ago, it was half burned down, and the water works were only half working.

KD7YKB

Last edited by spaldam on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
TOY4WD
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition Reply with quote

I went to Yellowstone back in June. It was one of the coolest places i've been. I've been up and down both coast and all over the middle of this country. I'd highly recommend visiting Yellowstone if you plan on going up for this eclipse. You'll be glad you did.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition Reply with quote

spaldam wrote:
Is Yellowstone back to it's former glory? It was awesome when I was a kid, but the last time I was there about 14 years ago, it was half burned down, and the water works were only half working.

Most of the burned down lodgepole pine in 1988 is 20' tall plus now (Grown back). The park service did -0- reseeding, which is truely amazing once you see how extensive the pine stand is.

I was there in 2010 and 2015. I can assure you, this is as magnificent now as it has been. Well worth the visit. The last time I was there I was aware of the caldera walls (Because I camped near one). It was incredible.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition Reply with quote

It's been 99 years since a total solar eclipse was so accessible to Americans from coast to coast, eclipse expert Jay Pasachoff, an astronomer at Williams College in Massachusetts, told Space.com last year. In addition, the Aug. 21 event will be the first-ever solar eclipse whose path of totality hits no country other than the United States. (The last one to meet this geographical standard occurred before the nation gained its independence in 1776.)

www.space.com/35171-gr...tification

TOY4WD
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition Reply with quote

This is creeping up on us fast Jimbo.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition Reply with quote

Are you coming Jake?

TOY4WD
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition Reply with quote

I am getting my ducks all lined up and gonna start shooting them down to make this happen.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition Reply with quote

Added to page 1 as a Maybe!

Dravur
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition Reply with quote

Just down from the Falls, there is a spot in the river that locals know about where a few hot pots drain. Who knows maybe everyone knows now, but there is a great place to sit and soak in the mix of hot and cold water. We used to hang there a lot when I was in College. If people want to go hot tubbing... it is about a 3/4 mile hike back into the river.

Also, just north of the park, there is some world class fly fishing. If you have seen "A River Runs Through It" parts of it were filmed on the upper Madison and Gallatin rivers.

Plenty of hiking in the park and the Beartooth Mountains. One of the most scenic drives you can make is going through Cooke City over to Red Lodge on the Beartooth Highway.

I may have extra rooms avail in Island Park depending on if my Brother will be there with his kids.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Total Eclipse 2017 Expedition Reply with quote

Dravur wrote:
Just down from the Falls, there is a spot in the river that locals know about where a few hot pots drain. Who knows maybe everyone knows now, but there is a great place to sit and soak in the mix of hot and cold water. We used to hang there a lot when I was in College. If people want to go hot tubbing... it is about a 3/4 mile hike back into the river.

Also, just north of the park, there is some world class fly fishing. If you have seen "A River Runs Through It" parts of it were filmed on the upper Madison and Gallatin rivers.

Plenty of hiking in the park and the Beartooth Mountains. One of the most scenic drives you can make is going through Cooke City over to Red Lodge on the Beartooth Highway.

I may have extra rooms avail in Island Park depending on if my Brother will be there with his kids.

Did the bear tooth in 2015, red lodge, Cooke City to NE entrance it was spectacular, goes up above the treeline. 10,941' at the pass..

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: