Tuesday, October 24, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: mountaineer09
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1980

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 58
Total: 58
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › Member Buildups › Wikids Tundra Build "Arctica"
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Wikids Tundra Build "Arctica"
Please share with the community what you've done to your truck and anything else you've learned getting there.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wikids Tundra Build "Arctica" Reply with quote

It's a little quiet on the build front. because I have lighting coming tomorrow. Been making certain harnesses, making sure everything is actually working. The compressor actually works, using the Switch Pro and both Switch Pro's are now working . I downloaded the ap for the Iphone control and was excited, like a little kid, using the ap to turn my stuff on and off Very Happy.

We designed a light mount for the (6) XL Racers for the roof. All the lights but the hood bulge, under hood and rock lights, will be burning, by Thursday night

As complex as my wiring system is, the Switch Pro's have made life much better. For an average system it would be child's play to make your stuff work

This pic is blurry, but it was a night shot and it wouldn't focus with the Iphone. I just wanted to give you an idea of how the console looks with the switches lit up

Since I received a big box of lights from Baja Designs, I figured I may as well begin installing them
First up 3 lights for the front bumper. You know its never as easy as just bolting them on and plugging them in.
I bolted the first one, and realized that the angle of the bumper didn't allow the light to level out. I took some channel I had laying around and made an offset bracket for each light. It did the trick, all level now.

I still need to make one plug, but 2 of em actually work

I took it out and did some down the road testing

DRLS with engine running

These are the Squadron driving lights only

These are the 2 XL 80's on the bumper They could use a little aim up, but you get the idea

XL80's and Squdrons. Because the 80's need to be aimed, they are drowning out the Squadrons, except yu can see it fill to the sides. Correct aiming of your lights will give you the best fill for the entire pattern. In this case, adjusting the 80's , would get much more distance, yet keep the wide pattern close in

The joke here is that I turned on the headlights, but could barely see them come on Very Happy

I went ahead and threw it in reverse

Here is the next step.
I wanted to mount the lights, but not directly to the rack I figured if I had a mount made that was simple, but designed well, it would accomplish making everything look right without wires showing .

After a discussion with Joe From GMG Fabrication , we came up with a simple but effective plan to make this look like a clean install. He picked up the steel, the next day and I was able to pick up the finished project from him later that day. He did a great job and made it look very neat while being able to hide everything wire-wise .

So here is what fit that thought. 2x2" 1/8th Square tube. beveled in front so it doesn't look like just a box. So I had 1/8th inch plate added at about a 45 degree angle. The 2 inches gives it a little more height, off the rack. Then I had the back opened up , so all the wires could be stored there. The only wires that you will see are the wires coming off the light into a notched hole , then the main cable coming in from the bottom, but the rack hides lots of that

My only fear is that the space will not hold all of the connections . We shall see tomorrow

The entire device gets mounted to the roof rack, through the cool track system it has. I pre drilled the holes in the bottom of the mount to just fit the screws and put bolts on the inside of the box. The box has a back plate to close it all off purdy Poof !! Should be no wires
Tomorrow , all these lights should be blazing

Back from Off-Road Expo . It was actually kind of exhausting , getting ready as I could be, then actually getting there. I left Thursday morning at 3:45 AM , first stop was to Deaver, to fix the springs. They rebuilt them and had me out of their shop by 12:30 PM, then i found a place to do hand wash and detail. Of course the hold up after that was them actually allowing vehicles in their show places.

Here are a couple of shots. You will see that the truck is really close to level now. It made it ride drastically better, even though with the springs not right, it was much better than it ever was.

One correction I will do with all of the XL lighting is, I requested the round bezels from Baja Designs. I was shooting for a little throw back old school with round lights, so I think that will complete the look

I am in competition with no one
I have no desire to play the game,
of being better than anyone
I am simply trying to be better,
than the person I was yesterday
Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wikids Tundra Build "Arctica" Reply with quote

Wheels of progress have slowed with business stuff and delays, until last week. One of the projects that has been hanging out there is the front grill project that will house my 30" S8 . I have had that light in my office for an eternity, it seems, but I finally have something to show now.

The idea was to create a grill that will accommodate the light, along with adding a little "unique" , to the project. DBCustomz, dbcustomz.com/ has been great to work with . A hard working guy that created some unique products and now it is beginning to ramp up.

Here is the direction I went with the grill .

The base grill is made , then the overlay is a piece of aluminum, water jetted, with this specific font and identity

Here it is raw

The S8's shape was scalloped into the upper portion of the grill. Then the overlay was done with the name of my truck , of course . I picked a special font to give it the look I wanted. I also asked for it to show it was Supercharged, then he added the little man on the left, blowing air. I liked it.

It arrived Thursday Evening, but my truck was suppose to be displayed at the Super Cross Event in the pits on Saturday . Needless to say , since it was a custom install and the first one off, it took Friday and early Saturday to finish it up. Here is the direction I went with it

I love the back lit feature

A little montage, to show the different scenarios.

The fact that it accomplished getting my light, where I thought it should be, then added some flare to the project, was a bonus . The back lit feature is tied into the back lit circuit on the rear S8. I feel like it came out better than I pictured it. In the panic to get it done for Saturday and also wanting to see how the color layout would look. I painted it. When I decide if this is how I want to look, it will be removed and powder coated. I may anodize the aluminum face piece. I just don't know yet

I am in competition with no one
I have no desire to play the game,
of being better than anyone
I am simply trying to be better,
than the person I was yesterday
Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wikids Tundra Build "Arctica" Reply with quote

Don,

Love the new custom grill with the S8's... looks rad! Congrats!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Member Buildups All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: