Thursday, June 29, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Mrjoel326
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1943

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 25
Total: 25
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › Member Buildups › Road tripping fj
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Road tripping fj
Please share with the community what you've done to your truck and anything else you've learned getting there.
Go to page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZRich
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

What did you use to tie the net together at each node? I've made a couple of nets for the FJ by sewing each node together but maybe you have a better method? From your picture, it looks like a rivet of some kind. Nice work on the FJ, I like what you've done so far!
ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Thank you, yeah I used fabric rivets, they work great, I knew starting off that this set was going to just be a mock up cause the strap is junk, so on my next one I'm going to take my time and make sure the rivets are evenly spaced
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

I am genuinely curious why the thin nylon strap is "junk" and you are ordering a thicker one? Looking at the weave pattern and the anchor points I would think the thinner strap would hold back the dog during normal travel and aggressive stopping / forward downhill descents. Is the thin strap more of an aesthetics concern or a load bearing concern or a combination of both?
ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

It'so a safety concern, it's literally like t shirt fabric, I can see light through the strap, it was 5 dollars for 10 yards, it's awful

In the picture it showed a medium duty type of strap, but when I got it it was way thinner than the deceptive pictures.

This is what I ordered now

m.ebay.com/itm/1-Inch-...nav=SEARCH
AZRich
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

I've never heard of fabric rivets before, but I'm going to check them out for any future projects!

That new strap looks strong. If it ends up being another case of false advertising, I ordered my material from Grainger and it's very sturdy. They also have a store up on Deer Valley Road.
ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Finished my rear shelf

ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Leveling kits have been my most recent frustration. Every one I find is 2 inches and up, even the ones that say 1.5 end up lifting it 2. So I decided to make my own using a set of stock strut mounts and some metal.
I made this side (will be the driver side) .65 inches tall, which should lift it about 1.3 inches, the passenger side will be .55 inches tall to give 1.1 inch of lift, thus helping to compensate for the driver side sag.

Just need to make the passenger side then weld them up
ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Welding them up tonight

ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

I don't really have a way to truly deck these, but using a straight edge and a caliper I got them really close to being flat

ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Next step is installing them

Probably Wednesday
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

OK in a wierd way its a really good lift!

ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Got it installed this morning with new shocks and struts as well, it leveled exactly how I wanted. I was kinda surprised it worked this nice but I'm very happy with it. It's now 36" up front and 37" in the rear.

Before

After (looks uneven because of the driveway but it sits perfectly level)

My son helped out

ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Read some horror stories of low oil pressure while cruising so I decided to take no chances on this 4000 mile round trip journey. I want to do a trans temp as well once I get back, I want to build a nice custom gauge pod too but it's 13 days till we leave so I just threw this together, it's just nut and bolted through the speaker grill lol

ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Did the last bit of maintenance I wanted to do, replaced an idler and the tensioner and belt. I had the whine, but it idles so quiet now

The trip starts this Saturday, and I think she's up for it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Member Buildups All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: