Tuesday, November 21, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: danab
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1985

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 83
Total: 84
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: toyo22r > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › Member Buildups › Road tripping fj
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Road tripping fj
Please share with the community what you've done to your truck and anything else you've learned getting there.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

So me and the wife love to explore all over. Off roading as well as road trips, and though I love that these vehicles were purpose built for adventure, they aren't too well equipped for long drives. Especially long drives with two kids. But we love this truck so I'm making it the best of both worlds.

We are driving her to Illinois in October, so I'm working on making it more comfortable for a trip like that.

I'll upload more in a little bit, my photobucket is acting up
ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

First I had to make a basic rear shelf, we bring our dog everywhere but we also bring stuff with and I don't always want it on the roof. This was what I came up with, it breaks down into three pieces so it can be removed

I still need to carpet it

Pretty basic, after this I needed a pet barrier. I wanted a mesh fabric one, but they all seem a little too universal looking, so I started on my own.

Started by removing the rear quarter plastics
Then I drilled holes and put in some threaded riv-nuts.

Then Made some brackets

Then I welded them up and painted them

Then I made a cross bar

Still waiting on my nylon strap to come in, then I'll be making my own mesh for this project.
ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Next was the rear TV install, I tried universal head rest monitors but they were massive, and flimsy, so those came back out. I opted for the flip down.
The one I used is made by Pyle, it's a good product, I've used this same monitor on three other vehicles we have had, the first one I installed was on our Subaru, I mounted it very solid and it worked great, the second one I didn't take my time on and it was shakey and rattled like crazy, very annoying. So this time I made sure it wouldn't move AT ALL.

I started by removing the dome light, it's important that I don't ruin the headliner, I wanted to be sure it could be returned to stock. I was VERY happy to see a very sturdy roof beam directly above it. I used 3/4 inch square tubing to make my brackets, I had to drill into the roof beam but it wasn't so bad.

Works great! Kids are happy, doesn't rattle, I like it.
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

I like the monitor. Nicely done! I might have to consider putting one in for my kids too.

The shelf is an interesting idea too. Easier then building a full toolbox, but still almost as useful.

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Thanks! I just needed something to organize the rear but that I can take out when camping is over.
Here's another pic before I painted the bottom black. It holds me, so I'm happy with it

The monitor I used is only 120 shipped, Pyle 9" DVD player.

So let me ask you guys this, since I'm paranoid, mine is an early model 07, I don't mind fixing things but it's getting stranded I get nervous about. I keep picturing my diff giving up mid way to Illinois. It will be freeway driving the whole way obviously, I just changed the fluid with Mobil 1, the magnet had the usual super fine particles, but with the back seat folded down, and the radio off you can hear a very faint wine. Should I be scared?
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

My early model '07 (like Aug '06 build date) has the same problem. I replaced the fluids about 2 years ago when I first got it, with Mobile 1 as well, and so far it's still working great. 145K miles on the ODO.

www.azfj.org/index.php...pic&t=9868

I'm hoping it lasts until my tires are warn out and I'm ready to go a bit bigger with some beafier 4.10 or there about gears.

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Thank you, I really like hearing things like that. I just hit 100k the other day.
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

137K on my early 07, I have run the full synthetic for the last 90k+ miles. Does the truck have noises different from new? yeah. Do I simply turn up the stereo? yeah.
ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Haha I really envy that lack of concern. 99% of the time I stress over nothing. Our Subaru, I had done every maintenance item I could think to do, but it still just.. Sounded weird. So I sold it. Lol
ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

So the strap they sent me was way thin, really annoying. So I made a net anyways, but I want to order thicker strap and redo it

Also I added rear power outlets on both sides in the rear so my back seat passengers can plug in on long trips

K9OL
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Very Nice....
B1ackSh33p
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Nice. Gonna have to use this great idea.

Helluva ride to the Dark Side!
ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Finished my rear deck, kind of crappy picture cause it's dark out but it looks good, and it's functional. It can be easily removed which was important to me as well.

ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Oh, and don't mind the pet barrier, I just kinda tied it up for now, waiting on my new, thicker strap to come in so I can build version 2.0 lol
ColoradoBound
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Road tripping fj Reply with quote

Oops
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Member Buildups All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: