Monday, July 16, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Jjholen
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2033

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 114
Total: 114
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › AZFJ Meet and Greet - 2015
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
AZFJ Meet and Greet - 2015
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Meet and Greet Crown King Run - 8/15 Reply with quote

What a Fantastic Day!

Thanks so much to Gloder for leading Group 1 and to Finn for Leading Group 2 (and Kevin for leading Group 1.5).

We had 11 trucks in Group 1 and 19 in Group 2 - 30 rigs in total!

We did have 5 trucks successfully make it up the long obstacle (4 in Group 1 and 1 in Group 2) with no one getting stuck, not even me Smile

vid1076.photobucket.co...4al4o0.mp4

When we got to town, we did present the Chief of the Fire Dept with $630! Thanks again to all for your gnerous donations.

And since Camp FJ took the last of the Crown King Gold, I had to find a new flavor to try.
Peanut Butter M&M fudge is the best there is - oh my yumminess!

And yes, it was hot, but thats why we were heading to CK and Prescott. Actually got as low as 73'!

And of course, the apex of the trip - Chocolate Cherry Chip Ice Cream in Prescott Smile

AZBza
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Meet and Greet Crown King Run - 8/15 Reply with quote

Hi all, which of you was driving the awesome orange TRD Pro Tundra in group 2? We spoke about me buying your OEM FJ roof rack from your Ultimate Edition . . .
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Meet and Greet Crown King Run - 8/15 Reply with quote

That was probably Shawn/Dravur

Mod3rn
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Meet and Greet Crown King Run - 8/15 Reply with quote

Definitely Shawn.
TUFFY
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Meet and Greet Crown King Run - 8/15 Reply with quote

I am happy that I bought a shirt but I had to Sharpie the "5" to a "4"!
CK is always a fun run, hopefully TUFFY gets out of intensive care soon.

1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Meet and Greet Crown King Run - 8/15 Reply with quote

What about that antenna ZZMikey? Inquiring minds want to know!
Grinder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Meet and Greet Crown King Run - 8/15 Reply with quote

What a blast that run was! Thank you to Glider, Mikey, Marc and everyone in group one for the help and patience letting me tackle that obstacle. Best and biggest damage I've done to my vehicle yet and glad it was minor and cosmetic only.

Can't wait to see the rest of the photos still to come. It was hot, it was sweaty, but lunch was great. Fudge is yummy. Our ride out with Conejo was a nice cool down and enjoyable talk before hitting the highway. Hopefully will be joining the September camping trip.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Meet and Greet Crown King Run - 8/15 Reply with quote

So, after crown King, after all you boobs headed off early, stranding us all in the saloon, we tackled the ever so dangerous Senator highway with Rhynoflyer, CampFJ , BOB/NANCY (sorry don't know your forum names) and me, Jimbolio.

We stopped the Palace station ranger house and there was a dude in an old 4x4 mini blazer on the phone with YCSO, whining about not being able to 'extract' himself from this 'shit'. Turns out he and his wife were from Florida, where the largest mountain is in Disney world, and you don't have to steer on that ride. he had borrowed his buddies truck, drove up the front way to Crown King (He thought), and made 23 miles of Senator highway before he lost his mind. He said something I never thought I would here out loud from a man "I'm afraid".

SO we offered to let him tuck in, it was only 15 miles to Prescott from there, and he took position behind me. It was immediately clear that our good samaritiness was a mistake, as he would only travel 5mph, (Clearly a 3 hour drive on that last 15 miles of senator hwy was going to suck. Happy ending to the story ... He picked up speed a bit and we made it to pavement and cut him loose. But he did stop by to shake our hands where we stopped to air back up.

THEN, after a frantic search for Taco bell (CampFJ got Chipotle) as we all wanted just to get to camp and shove fake food in our pie holes, we ended up going down 89, toward Indian Creek rd, which took us through Ponderosa area. When we got there it was dark, and we come around a corner and there is a Ford Ranger, off the road to the Left, ass end stuck in a ditch.
Problem was, he was trying to make a 3 pt turn in a very narrow spot (Opposite side was a berm, that dropped 20'.

"Can You Help me? " #2.

Of course, so I whip out my trusty strap that I've had since 1986 and hook it around his lower control arm on the opposite side. I couldn't pull him up directly because there was no where to pull. Slowly I started to pull, my tires didn't get traction (They were aired back up) and my clutch started to smell, so I backed up a bit, and started forward at speed. BOOOM! The strap that I have had since my FJ40 days, snapped and is now in heaven.

But the failure of my first attempt had me thinking about attempt 2, and 3. There was a large tree to the front opposite side of the road, Slighty off from his truck, but more square, and we pondered hooking a strap around that tree, hooking my Warn 3" strap through a a "D" ring on it and using that as a pulley as I drove straight back on the road, and the "pully' system would yank him strait out. (Kind of "Homedaddy style"),

but "F" that, I have an ARB snatch strap that Finn Sold me at Sedona fest, Ain't never used it, so I hooked it around his Drive side Control arm, D-Ringed both ends of that strap to my Warn Receiver Hitch clamp, and with a loud 1-2-3 hauled ass down the road,

BROIIIIINNNNNGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!
This time the noise was his Ranger pulling up and out of the ditch onto the road. He was saved! He asked what he could do in return, and I said, you can take the strap that gave its life for your and give it a decent burial.

We then proceeded to hunt for a camping spot - And ended up (After a too long search of creepy spots along Indian Creek Rd #97) at Lower Wolf Creek campground. We found two spots right next to each other. Set out our now cold dinner, and lit a fire. It was GLORIOUS.

Turns out this little campground off Senator hwy was beautiful.

We all parted ways in Prescott this morning, with a SPOT and Loud Honk from Glider AZ in Prescott Valley, but not before Jimbolio and Rhynoflyer visited my copilot's new Earth ship house in Dewey. (I called his new house the Hobbit hole, and his land the Shire). Interesting place, it's all old tires, with earth in them, bashed / packed in with a sledge hammer). You can't tell, it's all finished in stucco.

All In all - A Very entertaining trip.

I think CampFJ has some good pictures of our whole evolution, and I'll be putting up some photos tonight.

Last edited by Jimbolio on Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
sufools
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Meet and Greet Crown King Run - 8/15 Reply with quote

AZBza wrote:
Hi all, which of you was driving the awesome orange TRD Pro Tundra in group 2? We spoke about me buying your OEM FJ roof rack from your Ultimate Edition . . .

If ya haven't already, PM Dravur

"Conventional opinion is the ruin of our souls." - Rumi
sufools
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Meet and Greet Crown King Run - 8/15 Reply with quote

Jimbolio, wow! What a trip.

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Meet and Greet Crown King Run - 8/15 Reply with quote

Wow Jimbolio!

conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Meet and Greet Crown King Run - 8/15 Reply with quote

The nutty stuff always happen after Ck.

I'm waiting for pics from Group 1 Smile

KF7YII
LESZMOR
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Meet and Greet Crown King Run - 8/15 Reply with quote

sufools wrote:
4GaugeSurprise wrote:
Great day! Just waiting for drinks and dinner at Prescott Station.

We love Prescott Station. One of our "go-to" local spots.
Yes couldn't agree more the food was amazing & we just couldn't get enough of the beautiful night time weather sitting out on patio. Thanks SUFOOLS for the suggestion & 4gauge glad to see you past on Prescott Brewing for the Station
We to now Prescott Station

glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Meet and Greet Crown King Run - 8/15 Reply with quote

Wow jimbo what a adventure. When we meet again ill bring you a new strap. It was nice seeing you today we were on our way back to senator highway we did everything in reverse today.

We need to do this again soon but when the wheather isnt so damn hot.

sufools
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: AZFJ Meet and Greet Crown King Run - 8/15 Reply with quote

LESZMOR wrote:
sufools wrote:
4GaugeSurprise wrote:
Great day! Just waiting for drinks and dinner at Prescott Station.

We love Prescott Station. One of our "go-to" local spots.
Yes couldn't agree more the food was amazing & we just couldn't get enough of the beautiful night time weather sitting out on patio. Thanks SUFOOLS for the suggestion & 4gauge glad to see you past on Prescott Brewing for the Station
We to now Prescott Station

Damn, now I can't stop thinking about their jicama-shell tacos! Glad you enjoyed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: