Friday, May 26, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: LifestyleOverland
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1932

People Online:
Members: 2
Visitors: 40
Total: 42
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: BellyDoc > Forums
02: Grumpysonne > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Rear door latch
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Rear door latch
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Rear door latch Reply with quote

Anyone have theirs stop working? Mine did today. I opened the rear door and it wouldn't close. The latch was in the closed position and wouldn't move. A new latch from Toyota was in the $300 range. This place, fresno-taprecycling.com/ , had amused one for $110, shipped. I removed the panel from the rear door and the latch mechanism. The lube is grease and the inside of the door is caked with dust. Some simple green and a little scrubbing and some Teflon lubricant and it's working, again.

I got lucky, the latch stopped working in my driveway. I don't carry cleaning supplies on the trail, but they are going to be added, now.
fjlarry
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door latch Reply with quote

Happened to me last year. All of the sudden it was sticky. I blasted it with WD-40 and cleaned it out then greased it.

B1ackSh33p
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door latch Reply with quote

Good to know since we are in a pretty dusty environment! Thanks for the info!

Helluva ride to the Dark Side!
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rear door latch Reply with quote

this has happened to me once, and a buddy of mine once.

I took the latch out of the truck,, sprayed it with compressed air, and then operated it manually with my hand.

both times it was just a matter of minutes playing with the latch and it started to work, but both times it had to be OUT of the truck to manipulate the cams, levers and springs correctly to get it to cooperate.

30 minutes of your time, and you will save yourself $$$.

oh protip... be CAREFUL of that plastic clip from the latch that grabs the rod that comes across the door... it is WEAK and one of the tabs on the latch side WILL break. I think it is just there for the sake of cosmetics.. as both worked fine even with this tab broken... you have been warned.

sorry I took NO pictures either time.. I know lame. You can be the hero.. and take pictures of yours.
SpoilerFJ84
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rear door latch Reply with quote

calichaos, can you be more specific about the part of the rod that breaks?

my rig was parked on a slight downgrade to the left ( i didn't really notice it) and I went to open the back latch and the door swung open really fast out of my hand and the latch bar at the bottom broke off at the point where the bar meets the door.

I was wondering if this was the same thing, because that right not is the difference between an $8 part and a $110 part.

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear door latch Reply with quote

the part I speak of is NOT any part that would be impacted by the door swinging open fast and breaking that connection point where the rod meets the door. The part I speak of is INSIDE the door near the latch and the small rod I speak ofis connected to the lock actuator. Sounds like SpoilerFJ84 has a different problem than the one described by nimrag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: