Friday, September 22, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Richie
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1971

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 43
Total: 43
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Vendor/dealership Reviews › GMG Fabrications
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
GMG Fabrications
Review all local vendors here. One thread per vendor.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexVendor/dealership Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMGFAB
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GMG Fabrications Reply with quote

Hi all-
Thanks for all the replies and support!
Rich was awesome to work with. Like he said, I took measurements for the engine and transmission skid plates. I will be fabricating them later this month, working out the kinks, and figuring out a price point. I hope to have all of this figured out by the middle of September, so stay tuned for updates.
It has been a busy first few months, with more projects on the way. I will post up some photos of past projects. You can also check out the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages...015?ref=hl

Thank you to all who have shown interest and supported GMG Fab!

Joe
Grinder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: GMG Fabrications Reply with quote

Hey Joe,

Would you be able to fab a skid plate for a '15 Tacoma gas tank? Basically, you/we could pull the plastic skid off to fab up a metal version. My friend isn't overly particular on metal type or anything. He would like to have it relatively soon though (maybe within a month, 6 weeks?)

GMGFAB
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: GMG Fabrications Reply with quote

Finished up a set of skid plates. Engine and transmission are complete so far. They are made from 3/16th plate steel. I will post up more photos after powder coat.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: GMG Fabrications Reply with quote

Nice work
Allpro sends those flat Allen head bolts to avoid moonshing the bolt heads.

Not sure if you can source them

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
KaJeep
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GMG Fabrications Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
Nice work

Counter sunk allen heads/flush mount are fine until you drag them over plenty of rocks... They can and will become FUBAR'd.

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: GMG Fabrications Reply with quote

KaJeep wrote:
Jimbolio wrote:
Nice work

Counter sunk allen heads/flush mount are fine until you drag them over plenty of rocks... They can and will become FUBAR'd.

That's true for any bolt you use. I figure if I'm going to have to drill it out anyway, may as well start with the countersunk. That is a personal opinion, use whatever makes you feel better and buy some easy-out's in advance.

One thing I'd like to see on front skid is something that helps protect the alignment cams. I know this can be an issue in itself, I haven't come up with the perfect solution but damn the front LCA mounts take a beating and I've snapped at least one alignment tab head-on into a rock.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: GMG Fabrications Reply with quote

Nice work.

3 comments:

1: The side gussets on the first couple bends on the front skid is a good idea. That should help the plate keep it's shape so it can be remounted.

2. Ditch the factory bolt-on hanger bar thingies, they interrupt the nice smooth flow of granite on steel. They just make good points to get hung up on.

3. Powder coat is nice, but not on stuff that gets scraped. Save the $100 and do a rattle-can finish.

Again, nice work! I'm glad to see a local source for skids, that's huge.

KF7YII
B1ackSh33p
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: GMG Fabrications Reply with quote

I'm in need of an engine skid as my oem has taken a bit of a beating but is still useable, but I'd really like to have something more beefy than this. What is the price for something like this?

Helluva ride to the Dark Side!
GMGFAB
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GMG Fabrications Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
I wanted to clarify a few details I used allen head bolts for the two bolts closest to the oil drain plug access hole. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but the bolt heads are flush with the bottom of the skid. The bolts that attach the trans skid to the engine skid have a welded washer for protection. I want to work on a better way to connect the two. Also, I chose to keep a provision for the rear transmission cross member tube brackets, but the skid plate will work without them.
I am still working on a final price for these skid plates, but I am expecting the engine skid to be in the $200-$300 for a 3/16" bare steel skid (local pickup). I am working on providing more products for the FJ. I will keep you guys updated on all skid plate news.

Thank you for the comments and support!

Joe
progolfer_20
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: GMG Fabrications Reply with quote

Nice job Joe

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: GMG Fabrications Reply with quote

Good work on these!
I might suggest a few drain slots / holes for the muck near the front bash plate.

Im guessing if you go "production" with them... there are plenty of takers especially at the $300 price point (is that the complete set as shown?)
GMGFAB
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: GMG Fabrications Reply with quote

Good morning everyone,
I have been working on pricing a set (engine, trans) skid plates. It is looking like the engine skid will be around $280 and the transmission skid will be around $180. These will be local pickup prices. That is what we will be currently offering, but there is more in development for the future.
I am in the process developing a gas tank skid for the FJ (Just finished a Tacoma gas tank skid) and will be looking to start on Shock mount skids and link skids.
Please feel free to contact me with ideas, comments and questions. If anyone is interested getting a set of skids, let me know.

Thanks so much for the feedback and support on AZFJ!

Joe Giuliano
P: 480.861.3209
gmgfabrications @ gmail.com
itsafjthing
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: GMG Fabrications Reply with quote

I would be curious to know how much for a complete set of skids. Like possibly 3 packages to choose from type deal. Such as basic front and rear skids level 1 to full armor skids. After you get everything fabricated and produced that is. Just my input.

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: GMG Fabrications Reply with quote

Oil change panel and you sell millions! Or you'll get me anyway...?

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: GMG Fabrications Reply with quote

azflycaster wrote:
Oil change panel and you sell millions! Or you'll get me anyway...?

Yeah, azflycaster has a good point, especially for the 2010+ with the cartridge. Taking off the skidplate to do an oil change turns a normally easy task into a potential nightmare with the eventuality of stripping out the threads or shearing a bolt on a 'well seasoned' skid.

Another possible suggestion: Something made stronger, or just as strong but lighter than what everyone else does. The whole reason I went with All Pro is because of their use of ASTM A572 Grade 50 Plate on the APEX IFS skid. I wish they used that on the Apex trans skid as well. For most people the standard options readily available are more than adequate, but then you have the few (idiots - like me) that have done serious damage to "regular" skids and would spend a bit more if we have an option to go stronger.
I don't know if that's economically viable for you, of if you need different tools to work that metal. Just think that could be something you may be able to offer that sets you apart from the other products on the market.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Vendor/dealership Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: