Saturday, October 20, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Sequoiacrawler
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2058

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 150
Total: 150
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Land Use › Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument!
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument!
Meetings, access issues, cleanups, news, land use info.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument! Reply with quote

We need your help!

Join us for a stewardship event on the Sonoran Desert National Monument

Every Volunteer Counts!

Please bring water, work gloves, hat, sunscreen, trash pinchers, buckets and wear long pants and sturdy shoes. 4WD and OHV vehicles are useful.

When: Saturday, April 25th, 2015

Time: 7:00am – 12:00 pm

Where: Pipeline Road in the Sonoran Desert National Monument

RSVP: Sign up online at: Tread Lightly Sonoran Cleanup

Directions: The area is off of the gas line/Power line road that runs around the north side of the Maricopa Mountains and is the Northern boundary for the monument.

From Maricopa: (High Clearance vehicles only. Drive will take about 50 minutes to 1 hour from Maricopa to Project Site)

Take Hwy 238 (SR 347 and Smith-Enke/Route 238) west appx. 12.5 miles to Mobile Elementary School at 99th Ave. (between MP 31 and 30). Turn right on 99th Ave. at the school. Drive a short distance. FOLLOW THE ORANGE FLAGGING TO THE LEFT AT THE ROAD FORK; cross cattlegaurd. You are now on the Gasline/Powerline road (aka Komatke Rd). CONTINUE FOLLOWING THE FLAGGING. Continue northwest 5.7 miles along Gasline/Powerline road. Road narrows, cross cattleguard, continue straight on well-graded road 1.3 miles; road curves to right. Continue another 1.3 miles north on graded road (Bullard Ave.) and turn left back onto gasline/powerline road. Drive another 5.2 miles northwest along gasline/powerline road to Project Site/Sign-In Table.

From West Valley Area (Buckeye/Goodyear/Avondale): Drive will take about 30-40 minutes.

Eastbound I-10: Take I-10 East to Exit 123, Citrus Rd/Cotton Ln (West of Loop 303 Interchange.) Drive East on frontage road to Cotton Ln. Turn Right on Cotton Ln.
Westbound I-10: Take I-10 West to Exit 125, Sarival Ave/Cotton Ln (East of Loop 303.) Drive West onI-10 frontage road to Cotton Ln. Turn Left on Cotton Ln.
Once on Cotton Ln, drive South about 6.5 miles to Estrella Pkwy Roundabout. Turn Right on Estrella Pkwy Roundabout; stay on Estrella Pkwy and drive South appx. 3.5 miles to Willis Rd (4-Way Stop). Turn Right on Willis Rd, drive West 1.5 miles to Rainbow Valley Rd. Turn Left on Rainbow Valley Rd and drive South appx. 7 miles. Rainbow Valley Rd ends. FOLLOW ORANGE FLAGGING, and drive the far right two-track dirt road South about ½ mile to the Gasline/ Powerline road and Project Site/Sign-In Table.

From Tucson: Take I-10 W to I-8 W to S Butterfield Trail/Phoenix Bypass Rte. After 58 miles, take exit 119 toward AZ-85/I-10. Turn Right onto AZ-85/Phoenix Bypass Rte. Turn Left onto AZ-85/Phoenix Bypass Rte. Continue to follow AZ-85 for 20 miles. After passing the Arizona Prison Complex-Lewis-Eagle Point Unit on your right and then an open mining operation, take the next Right to the access road and Turn Right on to the access road towards the mining operation. Before reaching the mining location berm, Turn Left on to the dirt road (Komatke Rd) continue for 2 miles, bear Right at the fork. Continue on Komatke Rd past Riggs Rd. Komatke Rd becomes W Komatke Rd. Just past the intersection of W Komatke Rd and 187th Ave, Turn Right on to the dirt road that enters the Sonoran Desert National Monument on its northern boundary.

Questions: Contact Dianne Olson, [email protected], 800-966-9900 ext. 13

Last edited by Velociraptor on Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument! Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
Is there going to be a sticker? If so I'd like to go do this.

I will have a few extra window decals and bumper stickers for AZFJ non-members who volunteer.

BitCrazy
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument! Reply with quote

Very interested

Maltajo wrote:
For the inaugural run of AZFJ Tucson Second Saturday Runs, in honor of the mother of this invention...
Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument! Reply with quote

Please don't forget to register if you plan to join us on this stewardship event. It would be great to have a good showing of non-members! We should plan a lunch get together afterwards... how about Sofia's Mexican Food in Gila Bend?

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument! Reply with quote

I registered...We'll discuss the details tomorrow night Ken.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument! Reply with quote

I hope to see many fellow non-members on Saturday at this event! 😎
If you are going and have not chimed in yet, please speak up.

IN:
Velociraptor
Spaldam
Jimbolio

Out:
Pro_golfer

Last edited by Velociraptor on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
progolfer_20
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument! Reply with quote

I'm not in. I just posted info in the wrong area.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument! Reply with quote

Really, just two dudes from Tucson cleaning up your phoenix stuff?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument! Reply with quote

Some Pics

Ha ha - "Don't shoot the sign in Sharpie".

Of course no Wheeling adventure is complete without a little exploration.
Bosque Cemetery - Maricopa to Gila Bend rd. (Graves from 1926 - Monument is an Eagle project from 1996)

Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument! Reply with quote

Nothing like being in a place where standard law enforcement batman belts include AR mags =)

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument! Reply with quote

Thoreau wrote:
Nothing like being in a place where standard law enforcement batman belts include AR mags =)
when we lived in maricopa we saw 1st hand why leo carries big weapons in that area. Thats the route for the cartel.

Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument! Reply with quote

That's not just a route, it's a friggin superhighway. Rez up through vekol valley and all the way up to i10.

Homedad wrote:
Velociraptor
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument! Reply with quote

The SDNM cleanup was successful as about a dozen or so (two from AZFJ) folks showed up to help out. Most of the work was cleaning up trigger trash on the north edge of the monument.

We met David Scarborough, the new BLM monument manager who gave a brief talk about the success of cleanup efforts which are having less trash to cleanup each year.

The BLM park ranger and several folks from AZ Fish & Game helped the volunteers clean up the designated areas. We filled up a whole dumpster in about 4.5 hours.

Dianne Olson from Tread Lightly! handed out t-shirts and a few raffled gifts to the volunteers afterwards.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument! Reply with quote

While we were picking up brass at Shooting site #3, We heard a full auto burst of at least 30 rounds going off west of us. We thought it was the LE guys popping off their AR's as who else would have Full auto out there.

We're we ever wrong. It was someone west of them. I'm surprised they didn't go over there and check out that no trigger trash was being deposited.

I liked their attitude though "IF you shoot it, you own it".

Thoreau wrote:

How was your Hike Adam.

Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help us clean up the Sonoran Desert National Monument! Reply with quote

Could be anyone shooting full auto. Perfectly legal in az and not difficult at all to acquire. (A tad pricey though.)

And my hike was great... whole time i was seated in the campsite with a cigar in hand. Bet the others felt differently as they ascended and descended the cliffs though.

Homedad wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Land Use All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: