Friday, August 18, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 62
Total: 63
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: TOY4WD > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattbeaty
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5 Reply with quote

This is the best campsite I have ever been to. Period. Part of me hates myself for sharing this with all you non-members... but I can't keep it all to myself.

Go ahead and skip the railed-in, tourist-filled section of the South Rim. Give yourself the chance to really experience the Grand Canyon - offroad through the backcountry.

Easy washboard and occasional tilty bits. Some easy rocky sections and some ruts from local traffic. Expect difficulty to increase significantly (mud) after precip over about 1/2". We did this two days after 1/4" of rain and enjoyed ourselves without the risk of getting stuck. I hear that it gets really gnarly in the wet.

Take 180/64 from Flagstaff north through Tusayan. I like taking 180 because it's a more scenic drive. It merges with 64 a few miles south of Tusayan in Valle. If you need fuel, get it in Valle. Your run is about 120 miles from Valle to the point round trip. Plenty of range and you save 30 cents a gallon or more.

0.5 miles south of the park entrance, about 9 miles north of Tusayan, turn left onto FR 328. Time for the dirt. It's well-maintained washboard for about 20 miles. Take your time, enjoy the scenery.

After 20 or so miles, you will stop at the closed gate. That's the entrance to the Havasupai reservation. When they have an attendant on duty, they will relieve you of $25 per vehicle per entrance (no going out for supplies and coming back in). Sometimes they have someone there. Sometimes they don't. Bring exact change just in case. It's worth it.

You have an additional 16 miles to go. Poorly maintained reservation roads, rocky sections and ruts will make your drive more interesting on this stretch. You are following signs to South Bass Trail, which is an 8 mile hike each way from the rim to the river. We'll get to that in a minute. Stock everything is fine. You probably won't even need 4 wheel drive, but you don't want to bring your prius out here.

There is only one real turn, and it has a sign. Ask your GPS to point you to the coordinates and you'll be fine.

Havasupai Point Overlook, Campground, and South Bass Trailhead
36.187456, -112.349451

The point is a primitive campground. No water, no facilities, NO FIRES ALLOWED, but you are camping directly on the rim. You can stay here as long as you have provisions. The tribe doesn't seem to have a limit. Take a week and enjoy it. This is one of the least-visited places on the south rim. It is highly unlikely there will be anyone else there. When I came through, we were the only people the tribe ranger saw all weekend.

The campground is also the trailhead for the South Bass Trail. It's a beautiful 8 miles from the overlook down to the river. You can hike this trail during the day without a permit, but good luck getting all the way down and back up in one day. If you want to overnight, you can camp on the Colorado river, on a gorgeous beach, in the bottom of the canyon. BUT, you need a backcountry permit from the Grand Canyon National Park. Apply at least 3 weeks ahead of time for this permit.

That's it! More overlook camp/trail reviews coming soon.

WA7LDO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Bliss
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5 Reply with quote

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing Matt. I see a trip in my future.

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5 Reply with quote

Great googly moogly! I wanna go! I LOVE the canyon! Wish I was in a condition to actually hike down and camp on that beach. Thanks for sharing. And in case I didn't say it in email...thank you for those pictures Matt. Smile
CampFJ
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5 Reply with quote

I am glad you posted this. We were talking about going here this past weekend on the Jackson Cabin Run/Camp out. It looks amazing. I cant wait to go. This will definitely be where we camp next time we go to the Grand Canyon.

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5 Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Amazingly awesome! I will have to do this one sooner than later.

mod_muscle wrote:
Great googly moogly! I wanna go! I LOVE the canyon! Wish I was in a condition to actually hike down and camp on that beach. Thanks for sharing. And in case I didn't say it in email...thank you for those pictures Matt. Smile

That's what Diamond Creek Campground is for. Same tribal permit is needed (you can get one from the Hualapai Lodge in Peach Springs) and you can drive right up to the beach. The "road" is also Diamond Creek for much of the way so that seems like fun Smile

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5 Reply with quote

I'd like to do Peach springs one day when it warms up enough to swim.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
SafetyHooker
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5 Reply with quote

Absolutely amazing Matt! Beautiful pictures, Thank you for sharing. I'd love to experience this trip for myself soon.

•(¯`•.¸.¸ <'))))»•{
Tight Lines All, Kevin aka SafetyHooker
mattbeaty
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5 Reply with quote

Highly recommended.

From what I can tell, FR328 will remain open during seasonal road closures. Since the forest service shut down most of the roads up here on Dec 18, this may be one of few options remaining for some offroad camping fun during winter.

WA7LDO
K9OL
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5 Reply with quote

Ever since seeing this picture of Havasupai Point I wanted to go camp there:

Since this site is in the Grand Canyon National Park is a Back Country Permit required or arrangements?
TrAiLbUs1
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5 Reply with quote

Very cool!

mattbeaty
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5 Reply with quote

It actually isn't in the GCNP. The land was once part of the park, but was given back to the Havasupai at some point. Though you do travel through some sections that the park owns, no backcountry permits are required, other than the permit from the tribe IF there is someone at the gate.

They have also blocked off the section where the trailer is shown, so to get your vehicle there, you will need to move some large logs that form a ring around the site. You can see those logs here:

WA7LDO
amaes
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5 Reply with quote

I went out here this last weekend. You were at South Bass. To get to the spot where that trailer is parked (Havasupai Point) you needed to turn right at the T right before you hit South Bass. If you hit south Bass you need to turn around and head back and you will see the road that you passed. It is really easy to miss. Follow that road until it ends. Totally worth it.
K9OL
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5 Reply with quote

Do you happen to know the GPS Coordinates for Havasupai Point?
BigAZTonkaToy
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5 Reply with quote

Heading there tomorrow morning

K9OL
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Havasupai Point - South Rim Grand Canyon - 1.5 Reply with quote

BigAZTonkaToy wrote:
Heading there tomorrow morning

Be sure to post photo's... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: