4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> 4x4 Tech

#1: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Author: MasadaLocation: Glendale, AZ PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:09 pm
    ----
Put the shift lever in 4H and no green icon coming on in my dash, nothing in 4L either (sitting in N at a full stop). However when I put it into 4L the traction control indicator shows its turned off and I can lock the rear diff (how is that possible, no there's no diff mod on this I looked...)

I put the FJ on jacks tonight and verified the front tires are spinning freely in 4H and 4L but the drive shaft going to the front diff is locked up so the transfer case is engaging. I take it out of 4H or 4L and the front drive shaft spins freely.

Researching on line and it seems the most common culprits are the ADD AKA 4wd actuator or transfer indicator switches...

I'm leaning towards the ADD thing as I've read up on the fjcruiser forum and that sounds closer to my issue.

Anyone here run into this issue or have some thoughts?

#2: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Author: BellyDoc PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:28 am
    ----
Youre on the right track. The shift lever itself actuates a series of sensor switches as you go 2 to 4 and 4h to 4l. Thats what lets you engage the locker. obviously the switches work fine.

The ADD slides a collar on the internal passenger side shaft inside the front clamshell unit. Sometimes its just sticky. If you try to put it in 4 and then drive forward and back a bit while keeping the steering wheel just a bit turned, then the splines in the ADD will move a bit relative to eachother and it may engage.

If not, you may have some fixing to do.

#3: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Author: CeeFishLocation: Flagstaff PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:20 am
    ----
My bet is the Actuator. I had to replace on my 08.

Not too terrible of a job, I did it in the driveway on my back...

Sourced the OEM part (eBay) from a seller in Dubai, saved a few hundred.

#4: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Author: MasadaLocation: Glendale, AZ PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:30 am
    ----
I hope you guys are right (and my gut is correct too), i'm hedging my bets and purchased the ADD and it will be here this week.

I'm hoping that will fix the a-trac as well, it won't come on but I'm assuming that's because the 4wd isn't engaging...

I've done a lot of reading on how to "quick" fix the issue (drive slow and put it in 4H, accelerate, decelerate, move it from 2wd to 4wd 20-30 times, turn slightly, go straight, put it in reverse and shift to 4wd) nothing seems to be working.

I know the T-case is going into a lower gear when I shift it into 4L because the truck moves slower when push the skinny peddle...so I'm thinking it's not a T-Case issue...

CeeFish, what were you symptoms when your's went out?

This FJ has only 109K miles on it and looks to have been protected with Bud Built skid plates all the way to the gas tank for some time.

Last edited by Masada on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Author: azflycasterLocation: Fountain Hills PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:32 am
    ----
Not to make things more complicated for you but you're going to need an A track hack. Cool

#6: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Author: MasadaLocation: Glendale, AZ PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:57 pm
    ----
azflycaster wrote:
Not to make things more complicated for you but you're going to need an A track hack. Cool

I would love to have that done or do it myself. How does one go about doing it?

#7: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Author: ratfinkLocation: southern Arizona PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:45 pm
    ----
www.fjcruiserforums.co...hacks.html

#8: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Author: toyo22rLocation: Goodyear PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 pm
    ----
This is only needed with a very early build (2006) FJ. Mine built in 03/07 Atrac and locker work together without the hack.

#9: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Author: CeeFishLocation: Flagstaff PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:41 am
    ----
Masada wrote:
....CeeFish, what were you symptoms when you're went out?....

Mine starting working intermittently, then ultimately gave up and would not engage.

One weird thing was happening just before it died...I’d be driving along and the 4x4 dash indicator lights would start blinking like I had shifted into 4x4 at too high of a speed. I’d have to pull over and restart the truck to get the lights to go off.

When I opened up the faulty actuator it was full of crud and some water. Apparently the vent nipple had broken off (I’m betting when the re-gear was done Evil or Very Mad ) and allowed water to contaminate the unit.

New unit went in easily and everything work as designed.

#10: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Author: MasadaLocation: Glendale, AZ PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:26 pm
    ----
toyo22r wrote:
This is only needed with a very early build (2006) FJ. Mine built in 03/07 Atrac and locker work together without the hack.

Mine is a 04/07 build, but since my 4wd won't engage i can't verify that these work together yet...hopefully soon I'll be able to verify it does or does not work

#11: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Author: MasadaLocation: Glendale, AZ PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:28 pm
    ----
CeeFish wrote:
Masada wrote:
....CeeFish, what were you symptoms when you're went out?....

Mine starting working intermittently, then ultimately gave up and would not engage.

One weird thing was happening just before it died...I’d be driving along and the 4x4 dash indicator lights would start blinking like I had shifted into 4x4 at too high of a speed. I’d have to pull over and restart the truck to get the lights to go off.

When I opened up the faulty actuator it was full of crud and some water. Apparently the vent nipple had broken off (I’m betting when the re-gear was done Evil or Very Mad ) and allowed water to contaminate the unit.

New unit went in easily and everything work as designed.

When the unit finally died did you still get the 4wd indicator lighting up on the dash when you shifted from 2wd to 4H or 4L?

The FJcruiser forums seems to be convinced that it's the sensors on top of the tranny/t-case...but it seems odd those would just go out...

#12: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Author: CeeFishLocation: Flagstaff PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:53 am
    ----
Masada wrote:
....When the unit finally died did you still get the 4wd indicator lighting up on the dash when you shifted from 2wd to 4H or 4L?

The FJcruiser forums seems to be convinced that it's the sensors on top of the tranny/t-case...but it seems odd those would just go out...

No, I had no lights on the dash at all when I tried to engage 4WD.

#13: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Author: MasadaLocation: Glendale, AZ PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:47 am
    ----
CeeFish wrote:
Masada wrote:
....When the unit finally died did you still get the 4wd indicator lighting up on the dash when you shifted from 2wd to 4H or 4L?

No, I had no lights on the dash at all when I tried to engage 4WD.

Good to know, thanks for the help everyone. I have the new ADD, but i"m going to see if the dealer will install it and do some diagnostics and pay for the part. After all the 4wd should have been working when I picked it up and clearly it wasn't.

On a side note, those budbuilt skids are easy to get off, but gosh dang are the thin...not used to that. The Taco skid plates were much beefier (all pro skids).

#14: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Author: calichaos PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:55 am
    ----
First time I've ever heard anyone call BudBuilt skids thin.. then I went and looked. It seems Bud offers several materials for the skids, to fit the intended use.

Steel 3/16" (4.76mm) thick (I believe these are the OG heavy skids)
Lite Steel 1/8" (3.175mm) thick (I'm guessing that is on your truck)
Stainless Steel 3/16" (4.76mm) thick
Aluminum 1/4" (6.35mm) thick

#15: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Author: MasadaLocation: Glendale, AZ PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:56 pm
    ----
Day 1 back at the dealer the truck is at the mechanics shop and they can’t figure out why it’s not engaging 4wd.

-> 4x4 Tech