OME Lift too high???
-> 4x4 Tech

#1: OME Lift too high??? Author: MasadaLocation: Glendale, AZ PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 am
    ----
Purchased an 07 FJ with OME lift that already has 285-70-17 tires, expedition one front and rear bumpers, wench and bud built skids. So there's some weight on the rig already (no idea what coils were put on in the front or rear, is there a way to check?) so that doesn't help.

However the ride is very harsh and it feels like its sitting too high. I've learned that lift and height isn't everything when going off road...balance of articulation and lift is preferred.

Already purchased Camburg UCA's (will be here tomorrow) to help with alignment, and will swap out the suspension with Icon extended travel in the future...So I'm wondering how much lift is normal for an OME suspension...I'll try and snap a few pics so I can share what it looks like.

Comments and opinions welcome.

#2: Re: OME Lift too high??? Author: calichaos PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:43 am
    ----
what you are running currently is pretty standard fair.

I'd say in general 2.5" to 3" lift. Is it possible also a spacer lift installed?

What tires? Big impact on a ride quality.

#3: Re: OME Lift too high??? Author: MasadaLocation: Glendale, AZ PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:24 pm
    ----
KM2 in front and hankook dynapro mt in the back.

#4: Re: OME Lift too high??? Author: JimbolioLocation: Tucson PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:27 pm
    ----
Your tires are mismatched in softness
Ko2 is a bit stiffer than the kooks

You should prioritize getting 4 or 5 of the same tire before investing in another lift.

#5: Re: OME Lift too high??? Author: fjlarryLocation: Glendale PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:13 pm
    ----
If the lift is new it will look real high. If it's older and seems high you may have the 886 coils which were made for the bumper and winch weight.

#6: Re: OME Lift too high??? Author: MasadaLocation: Glendale, AZ PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:58 pm
    ----
I bet it's 886 then, there's almost no down travel in the suspension when I lift it up off the ground...

As for tires, I had to get some used tires to replace the Kankook ones in the front, they were shot and causing a really bad vibration at speed. The KM2's were a good price and I used them on my 99 Tacoma so I'm used to how they ride.

#7: Re: OME Lift too high??? Author: BellyDoc PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:42 am
    ----
This is a potentially penny-wise, dollar-foolish tire solution!

Theres a concept called "rolling radius" for tires. This is the distance off the ground plane to the center of the hub. Two tires that are labelled the same size by different manufacturers may have significantly different actual radii but even worse, if they flex different, you could have even more difference in rolling radius.

If your tires flex differently, its basically like having grossly different tire sizes even if actual sizes are close. For 2WD this doesnt matter. However for a 4WD with a standard transfer case (no center diff) its going to drag or dig with the smaller tire while the bigger ones go farther at the same rpm. Youll build up stress in the power train until something gives. Hopefully it'll just lose traction and scrub rubber on rocks. If you're on pavement though, you're really going to stress gear teeth, shafts, and joints.

#8: Re: OME Lift too high??? Author: MasadaLocation: Glendale, AZ PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:38 am
    ----
Well this is temp fix to eliminate the massive wobble going down the road at speed. I was able to get tires at about the same tread depth and life left as the ones in the back. I don't anticipate using 4wd on pavement so taking what was wrote, it sounds like it's ok for a very short term fix until I can afford some new rubber in a couple months.

-> 4x4 Tech