AFE intake question?
-> 4x4 Tech

#1: AFE intake question? Author: itsafjthing PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:33 pm
    ----
I have an AFE "cold air intake" that I don't believe is on completely correct. It was brought to my attention by another non-member that there is a gap "air leak"near the box where the rubber gasket attatches the hoses. Well that's how I can describe it. My question is do you think I can duct tape it as to seal it like it should be? Any other thoughts, advice, ideas or suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.

#2: Re: AFE intake question? Author: calichaos PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:04 pm
    ----
some pictures would definitely be helpful... but in general since the air intake is not high pressure, some simple material to cover the gap should work. I might suggest instead of simple duct tape that you go with gorilla duct tape.

www.gorillatough.com/g...-duct-tape

#3: Re: AFE intake question? Author: VoodoChildLocation: N.Phoenix,Az PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:12 pm
    ----
itsafjthing wrote:
I have an AFE "cold air intake" that I don't believe is on completely correct

Why not just Reinstall it correctly So you know its right . Can you see the gap ?

Where the F is Homey

#4: Re: AFE intake question? Author: 4GaugeSurpriseLocation: South Mtn-ish. PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:22 pm
    ----
VoodoChild wrote:
itsafjthing wrote:
I have an AFE "cold air intake" that I don't believe is on completely correct

Why not just Reinstall it correctly So you know its right . Can you see the gap ?

Where the F is Homey

Driving north on 51st Ave last I read.
Wink

#5: Re: AFE intake question? Author: itsafjthing PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:24 pm
    ----
@ Calichaos At this point I should probably learn how to upload pictures on here especially since my FJ is all Christmas lighted up!! And thank you for the Gorilla tape suggestion. I may have to try that just for the Box Canyon run on Wednesday anyway.

@ VoodoChild Yes I can see the gap a bit and tried to fix it myself before the Crown King run I did in September. Instead I believe I almost made it worse which is essentially my modus operandi. I get this inspiration and great idea in my head that because I'm a man with some tools I can work to improve my FJ. Usually half a gallon of sweat, 6 grease stains, two bloody knuckles and a car part or two I cant get back together I come to the realization my abilities to work on my stuff solo does not equate to a favorable outcome. I think my abilities end at tire changing, hanging Chistmas lights on my roof rack, washing/waxing and changing out my dome lights. I mean your talking to a guy that was proud I bolted in a tuffy lock box using aftermarket parts I aquire from Lowes. Lol.

#6: Re: AFE intake question? Author: gliderazLocation: avondale PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:46 pm
    ----
I wll be on the run for box canyon get a hold of me and ill take a look at it.
Look for the old beat runner.....lol

#7: Re: AFE intake question? Author: itsafjthing PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:05 pm
    ----
@ glideraz Very much appreciated and thank you. I'm sure I wont miss your ride.

#8: Re: AFE intake question? Author: 4GaugeSurpriseLocation: South Mtn-ish. PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:41 pm
    ----
Gorilla Tape is crazy good. The key to any adhesive though is to properly clean the surfaces first.
Still not as good as fixing it properly, but should get you by.

#9: Re: AFE intake question? Author: itsafjthing PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:31 pm
    ----
@ 4 gauge suprise so as far as Jerry rigging and adhesives go it sounds like Gorilla Tape for the win. Lol. Of course yes I realize I will need to fix it right properly here in the near future.

-> 4x4 Tech