Monday, December 17, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: jameswise
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2065

People Online:
Members: 2
Visitors: 86
Total: 88
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: Finn > Home
02: fjlarry > Home

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Changing plugs on 2010+ : any surprises?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Changing plugs on 2010+ : any surprises?
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Changing plugs on 2010+ : any surprises? Reply with quote

Before I just start unbolting stuff, anything special I need to know before swapping the plugs on my 2013? The later models with the air injection system have a lot of plumbing and valves and whatnot in the way, and I'm wondering if there are any gaskets that need to be replaced after disassembly, or if there are other fun things likely to run into.
Seems like it should be pretty straightforward, but I've fallen into that trap before.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing plugs on 2010+ : any surprises? Reply with quote

I say sell it and buy a pre 2010!

Ha!

Sadly I have no words of advice better than the above. I leave most of my maintenance to the stealership. Yes. I know.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing plugs on 2010+ : any surprises? Reply with quote

mod_muscle wrote:
I say sell it and buy a pre 2010!

Ha!

Sadly I have no words of advice better than the above. I leave most of my maintenance to the stealership. Yes. I know.

I prefer the extra HP on the later models. Laughing

I get a pretty good deal with the one service advisor at the one dealership I'll use, so that option is being considered based on how lazy I'm feeling VS how much PITA the extra stuff is. Work life is going to suck for a few weeks, had hoped to knock this out just to feel like I'm doing "something close to fun". Chasing down random issues based on an egr leak I may have caused sounds like the opposite of fun. Want to know the potential before jumping.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Changing plugs on 2010+ : any surprises? Reply with quote

Just make sure you get the proper 120K mi plugs. I've got 120K on my Iridium plugs and need to change them out now.

www.amazon.com/NGK-Iri...7984&psc=1

www.fjcruiserforums.co...-120k.html

I couldn't find a 2010 Youtube, Maybe calichaos will have more luck.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Changing plugs on 2010+ : any surprises? Reply with quote

Yeah, those are the plugs I was about to buy, and chainging them out is simple. The concern is specifically with the mess of stuff involved in getting to them on the newer models with the air injection. I haven't been able to find anything more than speculation about the gaskets invloved on the air injection system.
My plugs are only just over 100k but I've been extremely tough on this engine, running WOT and higher rpm for long periods, that can start to take a toll on plugs (and everything else). Doing them a bit early doesn't hurt (unless I mess something up).
Smile

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing plugs on 2010+ : any surprises? Reply with quote

if you haven't looked under the plastic hat on the newer engines, THIS is why I don't want to just jump into what should be a simple plug change:
There's one plug that should be simple on the passenger side. ONE!

Driver side is a whole mess of "Oh hell nope". The hoses aren't that bad, it's that big valve thing I don't want to deal with.

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing plugs on 2010+ : any surprises? Reply with quote

Yikes! Yea that looks intimidating!
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Changing plugs on 2010+ : any surprises? Reply with quote

sorry no fancy HOWTO videos found... quick someone capture a video of the process and get 10's of youtube views and internet points!!!
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Changing plugs on 2010+ : any surprises? Reply with quote

Careful

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Changing plugs on 2010+ : any surprises? Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:
sorry no fancy HOWTO videos found... quick someone capture a video of the process and get 10's of youtube views and internet points!!!

I'll do a video of me dropping it off at the dealer. Cool
It's not that I can't do the job, I just don't want to.

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing plugs on 2010+ : any surprises? Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:
calichaos wrote:

I'll do a video of me dropping it off at the dealer. Cool
It's not that I can't do the job, I just don't want to.

I don’t blame you one little bit! I would do the same!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: