Wednesday, November 14, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: TIBTIGER
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2060

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 243
Total: 244
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: nimrag > Forums

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo?
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

BaconScout wrote:
wet and tongue weight, how much water onboard?

does it tow well?

where did you pic it up and if you dont mind around how much did it go for?

any regrets with regard to options / model?

and 'its awesome' answered one of my questions Very Happy Very Happy

www.forestriverinc.com...lers/rpod/

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
compubmw
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

Angry_Tim wrote:
BaconScout wrote:
wet and tongue weight, how much water onboard?

does it tow well?

where did you pic it up and if you dont mind around how much did it go for?

any regrets with regard to options / model?

and 'its awesome' answered one of my questions Very Happy Very Happy

www.forestriverinc.com...lers/rpod/

Weights depend on model and layout, but if I remember they are ALL towable by an FJ and I've seen on some of the forums people in the flatlands tow them with 4cyl Tacos and RAV4s...link above..thanks Tim!

Towing wise, first day I owned it, I towed it to the campground where I bought it with no brake controller and it was fine, since then, I've towed it up to Flagstaff, and recently down Reddington Rd here and I'm glad I added the Prodigy RF to the front to control it. Up to Flag I was in the dark, the rain, the wind, and almost snow, and it towed great. Until I had the headwind on the way down I was able to keep with traffic on I10 and 17.

On Reddington Rd which is dirt, and rutted, it wasn't hard to tow, I just didn't go fast since it was my first time with it on that kind of road, since I knew I wouldn't have access to water I filled it so it sloshed a lot.

I got it at LazyDays in Tucson...talk to Jane, she was great. I paid about 18k for it.

All the models I looked at had ~30g fresh water, and something around the same for the black and gray.

As for batteries, I picked up a second almost identical one at Costco for cheap and so far I've run the thing 3 days, regular usage of the lights, pump, heater, waterheater, etc and haven't brought it down a bit.

I did order a 68w solar panel I plan to install to keep everything shiny.

While originally I had been looking at the 182G (rear garage, front bed, barstools) I'm glad I got the one I did, a 177, since it allows another person to sleep and I realize I wouldn't be using that rear garage as much as I thought.

If you're ordering and plan on boondocking a lot, the 7inch TV that comes in most of em is useless. It requires AC, so either a generator or inverter, and that's just a waste of power. Same with the microwave. I got mine off the lot so it came with both. I used the TV for a while while trying everything out at the dealer, and have since pulled it to put in a regular car stereo. The microwave we used once when we were plugged in at LazyDays and since I don't plug in anywhere, I use it as a bread and storage box. The airconditioning is a given to not working anywhere with a 30amp plug, so that pretty much means an established campground.

I really like the idea, that if necessary, I can park at a rest stop, go inside, and take a nap. No unhooking, no sliding out required, no cranking up a tent. And, it has a shower and toilet.

Mine also came with the Hood River Edition which any purchased new in the western US will come with, which is mainly a 3inch lift on the frame, big knobby Mud Country MT tires (big compared to regular trailer tires), and aluminum wheels.

Any more questions, lemme know!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

I've done this twice now in my FJ pulling my M100. The last time, I had to be towed into Yuma because the Fuel pump gave up the ghost, but the Trailer did fine. YMMV but all of the recommendations on page 1 are correct. The PLAYA is the biggest obstacle, it is a dry lakebed, and has 12" deep mud ruts dried out. If they are wet, Well forget about it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

I've run this a few times the whole route, and I'm on the western parts of it every few months (even climbed Tinajas Atlas then repelled down the face of the tanks).
I sure as hell wouldn't want that trailer on those washboards or the rocks west of the Tinajas altas near the Fortuna mine.
Sure, many of the roads are buttery smooth and fresh dragged several times a day, but there is also about 30 miles of constant heavy wash-boarding in the areas they don't drag. And as mentioned, the ruts and possible mud in the playa. The Fj is fine, that trailer may not be.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

You guys (Jim/Marc) realize the last post before yours was 5 1/2 years ago...🤪
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

Yeah, it took 3 days for someone to notice that

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

CeeFish wrote:
You guys (Jim/Marc) realize the last post before yours was 5 1/2 years ago...🤪

Nope, I never notice anything, I was just happy to see what looked like an active thread here I guess Surprised

This is what happens when I'm stuck working without being able to go wheeling.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

On a more recent note, I'm thinking about putting together a run this winter (February ish). Will be a Trails Offroad run ,so picture stops.

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my TT make it on El Camino Del Diablo? Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
On a more recent note, I'm thinking about putting together a run this winter (February ish). Will be a Trails Offroad run ,so picture stops.

I'll have to see closer to that time what my travel plans will be, I don't think I'll do the whole run again, but it's possible we'll meet you at Tinajas Atlas, I really to explore the valley above the tanks a bit more.
Last few times I have just gone south from Wellton, or cut over by the Betty Lee mine for a hike there too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: