Wednesday, December 19, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: jameswise
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2065

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 92
Total: 92
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Upper Woodpecker ( Florence Junction ) - 3.5
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Upper Woodpecker ( Florence Junction ) - 3.5
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swtribal
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Upper Woodpecker ( Florence Junction ) - 3.5 Reply with quote

Synopsis
Upper Woodpecker is one of the many trails in the FJ area that runs up a ( usually ) dry creek bed. This trail is more about the rock crawling then the scenery. At the end of the trail are a few mine shafts and the start of a 4+ rated trail called Highway to Hell.
Difficulty
The trail could be anywhere from a 3 to a 4 depending on what you do or do not bypass. For the easier routes through I would recommend rock sliders, lift, and a traction control device ( A-TRAC or locker ). Skid plates and big aggressive tires on top of that would be very helpful for the harder routes.

Length
Doing the whole loop back to the start is about 6 miles. The hard part is a little over 2.

Starts in a dry creek bed heading north off of Mineral Mountain Road in the Florence Junction area about a quarter mile SE from the junction of Mineral Mountain and Cottonwood Canyon roads.
The GPS coordinates for the start of the trail are listed as 33 12 01.9 N by 111 13 22.2 W in the "Guide to Arizona Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails" book. They weren't spot on but are close enough to find it.

Pictures
Typical obstacle:

More of the trail:

Link to the rest of my pictures:
s722.photobucket.com/a...er%20Mine/

Last edited by swtribal on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker ( Florence Junction ) - 3.5 Reply with quote

Way to rock Woodpecker on those stock tires!!!!!!
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker ( Florence Junction ) - 3.5 Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for the writeup!

Here are some pics of mine...

"Firehole" on the left - not to be attempted by FJ's, easy route where the people are standing.

Tight spot...

Optional notch, easy on the line shown...

Semi-optional incline... coming down the other side is awkward, off camber.

Optional obstacle immediately at start of trail on left...

Great trail, one of my favorites! Very Happy

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker ( Florence Junction ) - 3.5 Reply with quote

Homedad wrote:

What other way is there to do it?!?! Wink

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
swtribal
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker ( Florence Junction ) - 3.5 Reply with quote

Homedad wrote:

Homedad those aren't stock tires. They are slightly larger then stock Firestone Destination AT's lol. As hardcore as they are though my next upgrade is going to be some mud tires.
Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker ( Florence Junction ) - 3.5 Reply with quote

tibaal89 wrote:
Awesome, thanks for the writeup!

Here are some pics of mine...

"Firehole" on the left - not to be attempted by FJ's, easy route where the people are standing.

The crazy dude with the ifs Toyota pickup fried his clutch trying to do firehole. 2 trucks drug his stuck butt out of there.

I am in competition with no one
I have no desire to play the game,
of being better than anyone
I am simply trying to be better,
than the person I was yesterday
Cypher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker ( Florence Junction ) - 3.5 Reply with quote

Hey I remember that red truck! haha Cool

Great write up! I have done the trail a number of times and it is by far one of my favorites in the area.

enterconnect
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker ( Florence Junction ) - 3.5 Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:

Great write up! I have done the trail a number of times and it is by far one of my favorites in the area.

Same here, I remember that FJ. Good times!! How's the search for the 100 series? I saw this one yesterday.

phoenix.craigslist.org...43255.html
Cypher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker ( Florence Junction ) - 3.5 Reply with quote

enterconnect wrote:
Cypher wrote:

Same here, I remember that FJ. Good times!! How's the search for the 100 series? I saw this one yesterday.

phoenix.craigslist.org...43255.html

Yea I saw that one. It is a nice 100 but it has too many miles and the 99's have weak front diffs, no VSC, and no ATRAC. So I am only looking for 2000+. Thanks for the heads up nonetheless! I am going to be looking at 2 LCs this weekend.

Here are some photos of our run of Woodpecker:

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Woodpecker ( Florence Junction ) - 3.5 Reply with quote

An update:

Over the past few years there have been some "complaints" that the trail was graded, not as hard as it used to be, etc..

to some degree that has been true. All the obstacles were in place, but bypasses were easy and some of the obstacles had eroded, etc... so the trail the past few years was probably more like a 3.0.

Some of just ran this yesterday and I am here to tell you it for sure is back to at least a 3.5.

all the recent storms have blown the trail up that at a lot of sections its not even recognizable. i.e. the bypass to the right of the Firehole was a fun, little rock climb. Those rocks are now all broken apart, and is quite a climb for a little FJ.

We got to the obstacle past the firehole, the one where you can get high centered trying to crest it and then you crawl along in a v notch that pitches you in to the rock wall to the left. That obstacle has always been a challenge for an FJ, depending on how much sand was at bottom of the entrance. It's even harder now, borderline undoable - i.e. Marcus passed it with his buggy, but the rest of us could not do it. I imagine if you were SFA with 37's you might be able to get up.

The real challenge is the bypass for the little road to the right of this, is completely washed away. We tried to build it up, but it is not currently safe or passable. Will have to see if someone maintains/rebuilds that in order to continue on.

Still a highly fun, and somewhat technical trail. For sure need skids and sliders.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: