Sunday, December 09, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: jameswise
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2065

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 168
Total: 168
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand?
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

Here are the plans to make your Very Own half shaft puller tool.
drive.google.com/open?...hsa3p6dmY0

4Gauge is right (As he often is, but not always, sometimes he's a unicorn) there is kind of a "C" clamp in the end of the axle that will compress when you push it back in. It's harder to get out than it is to put back in. good tip on the Diff fluid.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

What I have found that works great too for removing is a crow bar. If you put it just right, then put a open end wrench on it and turn...it pops right out. No swinging. No banging. No noise.

In case you didn’t know: “noise is wasted energy!”

I’ve never had any issues getting it in.

🤔

😜
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:

4Gauge is right (As he often is, but not always, sometimes he's a unicorn) there is kind of a "C" clamp in the end of the axle that will compress when you push it back in. It's harder to get out than it is to put back in. good tip on the Diff fluid.

That design looks an awful lot like the one toyo22r has been using for years. Hammer and all. Used his on my van a couple years ago, and on his FJ 4 or 5 years ago. Did you get that design from him?
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

FatRat wrote:
Jimbolio wrote:

That design looks an awful lot like the one toyo22r has been using for years. Hammer and all. Used his on my van a couple years ago, and on his FJ 4 or 5 years ago. Did you get that design from him?

He's the inventor, in fact this is his picture!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
FatRat wrote:
Jimbolio wrote:

He's the inventor, in fact this is his picture!

HAHA...thought the hammer looked familiar
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:

you need these two because they are different sizes
www.oreillyauto.com/sh...Shaft+Seal

I picked up one of the import direct cv axles, now I'm wondering about these seals. A different size for the left and the right sides?
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

Yes, that is correct. I think the Drivers side is the bigger one. But I may have that backward. (Click Pic for details)
Front LEFT:

Front RIGHT:

But this part will really bake your noodle,
The CV shafts are the same on both sides! Shocked

vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

Thanks again, for all the guidance-

I'm getting more confident... Still can't imagine how it works, with the snap ring, and just "popping" the old one out, replacing the seal, then "pop" the new one in?

No need to worry about a circlip, snap ring, or anything else to replace on the transfer case side?
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

Nope

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: