Thursday, October 18, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: bmbFJ
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2057

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 60
Total: 60
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Input on Suspension Upgrade
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Input on Suspension Upgrade
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

ArizonaMitch wrote:
4GaugeSurprise wrote:
ArizonaMitch wrote:
BucketBoy wrote:
Go radflo and you’ll likely be happy. NOT TOYTEC. Built under the same parent maybe but totally different. Get yourself some 2.5s with resis and you’ll be happy. Bryan Glider can likely hook you up. Those are what I have on my 3.5 Long Travel and with the abuse both I and 4 gauge have put them through you’ll be good for a while.

Thanks. I was actually thinking about skipping the reservoirs this time. Had them with and without. I'm not working it as hard as I used to.

Sounds like I need to talk to Bryan... maybe he can explain the compression adjuster option. I don't understand what they do?

They literally adjust the compression dampening. How stiff the shocks are.

So they are a knob or something on the shock... or are they only on the reservoirs? For anyone that has them, how well do they work? Are they just for stiffening, or can you go both directions... softer and firmer?

There is a knob on the resi, for many brands you need to have the resi to have the adjustment. It actually adjusts the valve inside the shock. If you use the middle as the baseline, then you can go softer or firmer than that.
this does not change spring rate!!! Springs should be matched to the overall vehicle weight (over that axle) and the shocks should be matched to the spring rate (this happens by default if you order them from the manufacturer as a set). Having this adjustment is great if you do more than one thing with your vehicle and it is an option I require for my one vehicles.
I can soften up the ride for comfort driving around town, go even softer for washboard or rough trails. Make them way more stiff if I am going to be driving twisty canyon roads, when I have on the RTT, rock crawling... it's expensive but to me it's well worth the cost for the control AND comfort I get.
As for how well they work, on the Radflo they work amazingly well. I have used some other top brands on other vehicles and like I said, I won't bother with a fixed rate anymore unless the vehicle is a dedicated single use type of thing like a drift car or something very specific.

Do you NEED adjustments? Nope. Most people don't have them. You need to understand the ramifications of those settings too... but if you are willing to learn and don't mind the expense, the rewards are there.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
ArizonaMitch
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:
ArizonaMitch wrote:
4GaugeSurprise wrote:
ArizonaMitch wrote:
BucketBoy wrote:
Go radflo and you’ll likely be happy. NOT TOYTEC. Built under the same parent maybe but totally different. Get yourself some 2.5s with resis and you’ll be happy. Bryan Glider can likely hook you up. Those are what I have on my 3.5 Long Travel and with the abuse both I and 4 gauge have put them through you’ll be good for a while.

Thanks. I was actually thinking about skipping the reservoirs this time. Had them with and without. I'm not working it as hard as I used to.

Sounds like I need to talk to Bryan... maybe he can explain the compression adjuster option. I don't understand what they do?

They literally adjust the compression dampening. How stiff the shocks are.

So they are a knob or something on the shock... or are they only on the reservoirs? For anyone that has them, how well do they work? Are they just for stiffening, or can you go both directions... softer and firmer?

There is a knob on the resi, for many brands you need to have the resi to have the adjustment. It actually adjusts the valve inside the shock. If you use the middle as the baseline, then you can go softer or firmer than that.
this does not change spring rate!!! Springs should be matched to the overall vehicle weight (over that axle) and the shocks should be matched to the spring rate (this happens by default if you order them from the manufacturer as a set). Having this adjustment is great if you do more than one thing with your vehicle and it is an option I require for my one vehicles.
I can soften up the ride for comfort driving around town, go even softer for washboard or rough trails. Make them way more stiff if I am going to be driving twisty canyon roads, when I have on the RTT, rock crawling... it's expensive but to me it's well worth the cost for the control AND comfort I get.
As for how well they work, on the Radflo they work amazingly well. I have used some other top brands on other vehicles and like I said, I won't bother with a fixed rate anymore unless the vehicle is a dedicated single use type of thing like a drift car or something very specific.

Do you NEED adjustments? Nope. Most people don't have them. You need to understand the ramifications of those settings too... but if you are willing to learn and don't mind the expense, the rewards are there.

Sounds like the next iteration. First we had standard coilovers. That's all I found. Then we got resi's later, so I added them at the rebuild. Now we have these compression adjusters. If you have to have the resi's on the RadFlo's to get the compression adjusters... sounds like we're at around $2,200 for the front. Pretty much at the high end it would seem in terms of price.

I do like the 2.5 option front. What sized shaft do they use. Is it 5/8" or 3/4"? On the rear, it looks like 2.5's as well. That's nice. I have tools in the back and have Molle bags on the door and sides. Are the standard springs good for that? I do haul tools for work from time to time.

Looks like a nice system. Pricey, but nice...

toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

Ive got the CDC adjustments on my ICON and love them. Yes it is a knob on the reservoir. 10 adjustments from Soft to Hard. For reference a standard non-CDC Icon shock is equivalent to the #4 setting.

Once you have the settings to your liking, aired down you can really go fast over the rough stuff.

TLCA# 18990
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

Do 2.5 all the way around, there's no good reason to go with the 2.0. the Radflo uses the 5/8 shaft for the FJ, that was stronger than the competition and a primary reason I went Radflo to begin with (I break things).
It isn't cheap, that's really the only downfall, but not insignificant. For me it was well worth the cost although I now want to go with some bypass shocks all around too. (Seriously, I am really tough on equipment).

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
ArizonaMitch
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Input on Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:
Do 2.5 all the way around, there's no good reason to go with the 2.0. the Radflo uses the 5/8 shaft for the FJ, that was stronger than the competition and a primary reason I went Radflo to begin with (I break things).
It isn't cheap, that's really the only downfall, but not insignificant. For me it was well worth the cost although I now want to go with some bypass shocks all around too. (Seriously, I am really tough on equipment).
So are the 2.5" shocks 5/8" shaft, or 3/4" like some others?

toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on Suspension Upgrade Reply with quote

ArizonaMitch wrote:
4GaugeSurprise wrote:
So are the 2.5" shocks 5/8" shaft, or 3/4" like some others?

The Icon 2.5 has 7/8" shaft.

TLCA# 18990
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: