Monday, August 20, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Kowboy26
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2048

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 93
Total: 94
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: Jimbolio > Forums

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Big trip planned...... Need help
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Big trip planned...... Need help
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donkeypuncher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Big trip planned...... Need help Reply with quote

Planning a big road/ mini overland trip with my oldest boy. Going to be going from Glendale AZ to Kalispell Montana. I need ideas and tips and tricks.
Planning on taking my new(to me) 4Runner with my RTT so lodging won't be a big issue.
Planning on stopping at Yellowstone and seeing old faithful because it's not too far out of the way.
What else should I look into?
Thanks

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Big trip planned...... Need help Reply with quote

Plan at least 3 days in Yellowstone, old faithful is the most boring thing there but a must do. The whole place has a very slow speed limit and tons of traffic. Plan ahead and get campsite reservations too.
I can fill you in on my route, along with great dispersed campsites along the way from the last Yellowstone road trip we did with the RTT. We hit Moab, then over the Colorado border to get a dirt road over the pass to the old Dragon mine, up through the Dinosaur national monument, Flaming Gorge, Gand Tetons and whatnot... If you want more Westerly route, there's Bryce Canyon, Grand Staircase, Capitol Reef, Skyline Drive (dirt), and Salt Lake City - the temple has nice bathrooms.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Big trip planned...... Need help Reply with quote

Concur
Be ready to hike a bit around the Geyser basins. My fave was the Norris basin. It's not really well attended and has the largest geyser in the world, Steamboat, which has been active. Buy an annual pass for 80 then hit zion and bryce canyon on the way home. Each NATIONAL park is $30

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Big trip planned...... Need help Reply with quote

Yeah, the pass will pay for itself. Just driving through Grand Teton will cost you at least half the price of the annual pass from the Forest Service. It's the America The Beautiful pass or something like that.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Big trip planned...... Need help Reply with quote

Went to Yellowstone last summer along with Jimbolio, had a great time. A camera with a longer lens is useful for wildlife. Bring binoculars, or even better, a spotting scope. They are great for watching a pack of wolves from a half mile away. I didn't find the time to see Old Faithful and didn't miss it.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Big trip planned...... Need help Reply with quote

We DID have a Time didn't we Dave! Now the damn Steamboat Geyser is blowing it's top every week!

Last time I was there was Aug 17. The sign said it last erupted in 2014.

But since March, it's blown it's load 8 times!

Last edited by Jimbolio on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Big trip planned...... Need help Reply with quote

^^ That video is impressive, would be cool to see it in person. Those people would be yelling a lot more if lava started spurting out. Get there before it blows!

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Big trip planned...... Need help Reply with quote

This was all it was doing for me

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: