Saturday, June 23, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: JohnnyOutlaw
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2027

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 119
Total: 120
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: Jimbolio > Forums

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - May 5th
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - May 5th
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - May 5th Reply with quote

WHAT
Amazing run to Asbestos Point Mine and the overlook!

TRAIL OVERVIEW
www.azfj.org/index.php...pic&t=5574

The mines are located north of Roosevelt Lake at ~6800' elevation. The asbestos mines were operational from the early 1900's until ~1980 and you can actually walk all the way into the shafts, see an old bed frame, etc...

In the past, the climb up to the mine was fun, fairly easy, but also depended on weather. One time when we went, there was snow and we couldn't finish and get to the top, but it was an EPIC adventure. After that, there was a fire, and trail was closed. Recently TRAL repaired the trail. On our trip last year, the trail was definitely more technical (and fun!).

I expect this trail to be significantly more challenging that it has been in the past due to the weather and fire issues.
Take a look at some recent updates for some perspective
azfj.org/index.php?nam...073#223073

Mild overgrowth will result in pinstripes, fallen trees had been cut and are somewhat blocking the trail in spots.

We cannot always make it to the top depending on trail conditions, but if we can it is a very cool run with epic views of the surrounding mountains, Four Peaks and Roosevelt Lake.

Due to the change in trail, 33's with sliders and skids, a locker/atrac are highly recommended.

We almost always have some kind of "Adventure" on this run with cutting down fallen trees away from the trail, etc...

HIGHLIGHTS FROM OUR LAST FEW RUNS
azfj.org/index.php?nam...t=asbestos

CAMPING
You can just wheel if you want and bail after. No need to canp if you're not interested.

For those that want to, we will set up camp on the top if Aztec Peak on Saturday night. This is one of the coolest camp spots I have seen in AZ - 8000', 360' views, rock furniture, a 'Lookout', incredible stargazing, etc...

On Sunday, we will stop at Workman Creek and checkout the waterfall, then head to fr488 and drive to the edge to overlook the canyon.

MEETUP
Meet spot: 9am
33.419814, -110.812113
Shell Station
2055 US HIGHWAY 60 Miami, AZ 85539

COMMS
CB Channel 16
146.46 HAM
Mike's Cell - 248-321-eight-2-six-4

Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - May 5th Reply with quote

Alright Mike I'm scheming to catch this one but, at best, I'll be about 1-2 hours behind you.

Spawn's Mom's flight arrives in PHX at 8am so the earliest I could be out of the airport after dropping off the child is probably 8:45. Meet-up spot, per Google maps, is about an hour and half from PHX.

So tell me what you think, would it be worth it to try and catch the group given that I'll be so far behind?

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - May 5th Reply with quote

You could try, by the time we get on the trail, air down, spot a couple people, etc..

But we would for sure be on the trail by the time you got there

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - May 5th Reply with quote

how about it Jimbolio?

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - May 5th Reply with quote

I'll be visiting ProGolfer20 that weekend in Dallas. Sorry.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
SpoilerFJ84
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - May 5th Reply with quote

I'm interested. I'll have to see if I can get off work...and it being cinco de drinko might lower those chances =\

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - May 5th Reply with quote

gonna be 100'+ this weekend in the valley, come wheeling (and or camping) with us up in the Sierra Anchas!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: