Thursday, August 16, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Shmog
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2045

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 130
Total: 130
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Hood decal goo removal...
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Hood decal goo removal...
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpoilerFJ84
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Hood decal goo removal... Reply with quote

So, my old black vinyl engine cover had become cracked and brittle from being in the sun too much and I'm sure the engine heat didn't help. Since moving a few months ago, I now have a spot in the garage to store the FJ out of the sun, and decided to replace the vinyl.

As you can see, I was able to get the vinyl off (painstakingly) with a heat gun and scrappers. However, there is a leftover goo/gunk/adhesive that is being very stubborn. I've tried WD-40, Goo Gone, and ammonia. None those have made a dent in the goo.

Anyone know of any other home remedies? Or maybe a shop in the Tucson area that could restore the hood surface?

Thanks Confused

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood decal goo removal... Reply with quote

Rubbing alcohol
NathansLola
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood decal goo removal... Reply with quote

I think those large pencil erasers work too. Use it just like you're erasing graphite.

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood decal goo removal... Reply with quote

I always had good luck with isopropyl alchohol. For me, the trick was keeping the alchohol on the glue long enough for it to soften before the alchohol evaporated. You have to focus on smaller areas to do that. Never a fun project though. I don’t envy you.
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hood decal goo removal... Reply with quote

www.walmart.com/ip/TCP...3=&veh=sem

SpoilerFJ84
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hood decal goo removal... Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I've been thinking that maybe I haven't left the removers i've been trying on long enough. 30 minutes was the longest I let it set, I've just been worried about doing damage to the paint/coatings.

How long could I leave isopropyl alchohol on the paint before it starts to cause damage?

I know next to nothing about what harms car paint =\

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood decal goo removal... Reply with quote

Isopropyl alchohol should not damage the paint at all. It will evaporate long before that.

You may end up having to use a combination of things.

Wish you the best!
SpoilerFJ84
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Hood decal goo removal... Reply with quote

For those of you interested, it took using a 3M adhesive removal wheel

www.pepboys.com/produc...9406/00645

to get that baked on stuff off. It was slow going...let me tell you. I still have a lot of touch ups to do before the hood is completely stripped, but of any method I tried this is the only one that was working. I'd post some photos, but it doesn't seem like photobucket is working.

I'll have to adopt the mantra of "buy quality, buy once" into my vinyl hood cover shopping Rolling Eyes

microbe
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood decal goo removal... Reply with quote

I used both plastic and metal putty knives along with a couple cans of goof off. It was miserable.

Last edited by microbe on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
BucketBoy
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood decal goo removal... Reply with quote

SpoilerFJ84 wrote:
For those of you interested, it took using a 3M adhesive removal wheel

www.pepboys.com/produc...9406/00645

to get that baked on stuff off. It was slow going...let me tell you. I still have a lot of touch ups to do before the hood is completely stripped, but of any method I tried this is the only one that was working. I'd post some photos, but it doesn't seem like photobucket is working.

I'll have to adopt the mantra of "buy quality, buy once" into my vinyl hood cover shopping Rolling Eyes

What decal/brand did you decide to go with now? Just curious. I'm about 50/50 on starting to do hood decals for AZFJ non-members.

SpoilerFJ84
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood decal goo removal... Reply with quote

Quote:
What decal/brand did you decide to go with now? Just curious. I'm about 50/50 on starting to do hood decals for AZFJ non-members.

So, my first decal was from alphavinyl, purchase off Amazon. I looked at my order history and I was a bit off from when I thought I had gotten it. I got in summer time 2014, and noticed the cracking in early 2016. Cracking got really bad and covered the entire thing by the end of that year. I purchased a new one from Crawlerado because I felt more confident that it would hold up because of reviews I'd read. However, I knew my wife and I were planning on moving and a 3 car garage was a must, so I delayed putting it on. Took us a while to find a house that met all of our criteria, but now that I know my rig won't be sitting in the sun 24/7 I knew it was time to put it on. Just became a huge pain in the ass project I didn't expect Confused

Sorry, probably more detail than you asked for. Crawlerado. Hah. Oh, also if I remember correctly I was in email contact with the owner and he made me feel good about the quality Laughing

And another note about the project: Apparently 3M Adhesive Remover is made to remove 3M Adhesive Rolling Eyes I've done all I can at this point.

BucketBoy
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hood decal goo removal... Reply with quote

SpoilerFJ84 wrote:
Quote:

So, my first decal was from alphavinyl, purchase off Amazon. I looked at my order history and I was a bit off from when I thought I had gotten it. I got in summer time 2014, and noticed the cracking in early 2016. Cracking got really bad and covered the entire thing by the end of that year. I purchased a new one from Crawlerado because I felt more confident that it would hold up because of reviews I'd read. However, I knew my wife and I were planning on moving and a 3 car garage was a must, so I delayed putting it on. Took us a while to find a house that met all of our criteria, but now that I know my rig won't be sitting in the sun 24/7 I knew it was time to put it on. Just became a huge pain in the ass project I didn't expect Confused

Sorry, probably more detail than you asked for. Crawlerado. Hah. Oh, also if I remember correctly I was in email contact with the owner and he made me feel good about the quality Laughing

And another note about the project: Apparently 3M Adhesive Remover is made to remove 3M Adhesive Rolling Eyes I've done all I can at this point.

It’s amazing how that works sometimes. I know my current hookup does a lot of custom work too. As long as you picked it up from a shop that has assured the quality you’ll be in much better shape.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: