Tuesday, July 17, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: KScruiser
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2034

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 65
Total: 65
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem?
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masada
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Reply with quote

Put the shift lever in 4H and no green icon coming on in my dash, nothing in 4L either (sitting in N at a full stop). However when I put it into 4L the traction control indicator shows its turned off and I can lock the rear diff (how is that possible, no there's no diff mod on this I looked...)

I put the FJ on jacks tonight and verified the front tires are spinning freely in 4H and 4L but the drive shaft going to the front diff is locked up so the transfer case is engaging. I take it out of 4H or 4L and the front drive shaft spins freely.

Researching on line and it seems the most common culprits are the ADD AKA 4wd actuator or transfer indicator switches...

I'm leaning towards the ADD thing as I've read up on the fjcruiser forum and that sounds closer to my issue.

Anyone here run into this issue or have some thoughts?

BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Reply with quote

Youre on the right track. The shift lever itself actuates a series of sensor switches as you go 2 to 4 and 4h to 4l. Thats what lets you engage the locker. obviously the switches work fine.

The ADD slides a collar on the internal passenger side shaft inside the front clamshell unit. Sometimes its just sticky. If you try to put it in 4 and then drive forward and back a bit while keeping the steering wheel just a bit turned, then the splines in the ADD will move a bit relative to eachother and it may engage.

If not, you may have some fixing to do.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Reply with quote

My bet is the Actuator. I had to replace on my 08.

Not too terrible of a job, I did it in the driveway on my back...

Sourced the OEM part (eBay) from a seller in Dubai, saved a few hundred.
Masada
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Reply with quote

I hope you guys are right (and my gut is correct too), i'm hedging my bets and purchased the ADD and it will be here this week.

I'm hoping that will fix the a-trac as well, it won't come on but I'm assuming that's because the 4wd isn't engaging...

I've done a lot of reading on how to "quick" fix the issue (drive slow and put it in 4H, accelerate, decelerate, move it from 2wd to 4wd 20-30 times, turn slightly, go straight, put it in reverse and shift to 4wd) nothing seems to be working.

I know the T-case is going into a lower gear when I shift it into 4L because the truck moves slower when push the skinny peddle...so I'm thinking it's not a T-Case issue...

CeeFish, what were you symptoms when your's went out?

This FJ has only 109K miles on it and looks to have been protected with Bud Built skid plates all the way to the gas tank for some time.

Last edited by Masada on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Reply with quote

Not to make things more complicated for you but you're going to need an A track hack. Cool

Masada
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Reply with quote

azflycaster wrote:
Not to make things more complicated for you but you're going to need an A track hack. Cool

I would love to have that done or do it myself. How does one go about doing it?

ratfink
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Reply with quote

www.fjcruiserforums.co...hacks.html

toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Reply with quote

This is only needed with a very early build (2006) FJ. Mine built in 03/07 Atrac and locker work together without the hack.

TLCA# 18990
CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Reply with quote

Masada wrote:
....CeeFish, what were you symptoms when you're went out?....

Mine starting working intermittently, then ultimately gave up and would not engage.

One weird thing was happening just before it died...I’d be driving along and the 4x4 dash indicator lights would start blinking like I had shifted into 4x4 at too high of a speed. I’d have to pull over and restart the truck to get the lights to go off.

When I opened up the faulty actuator it was full of crud and some water. Apparently the vent nipple had broken off (I’m betting when the re-gear was done Evil or Very Mad ) and allowed water to contaminate the unit.

New unit went in easily and everything work as designed.
Masada
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Reply with quote

toyo22r wrote:
This is only needed with a very early build (2006) FJ. Mine built in 03/07 Atrac and locker work together without the hack.

Mine is a 04/07 build, but since my 4wd won't engage i can't verify that these work together yet...hopefully soon I'll be able to verify it does or does not work

Masada
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Reply with quote

CeeFish wrote:
Masada wrote:
....CeeFish, what were you symptoms when you're went out?....

Mine starting working intermittently, then ultimately gave up and would not engage.

One weird thing was happening just before it died...I’d be driving along and the 4x4 dash indicator lights would start blinking like I had shifted into 4x4 at too high of a speed. I’d have to pull over and restart the truck to get the lights to go off.

When I opened up the faulty actuator it was full of crud and some water. Apparently the vent nipple had broken off (I’m betting when the re-gear was done Evil or Very Mad ) and allowed water to contaminate the unit.

New unit went in easily and everything work as designed.

When the unit finally died did you still get the 4wd indicator lighting up on the dash when you shifted from 2wd to 4H or 4L?

The FJcruiser forums seems to be convinced that it's the sensors on top of the tranny/t-case...but it seems odd those would just go out...

CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Reply with quote

Masada wrote:
....When the unit finally died did you still get the 4wd indicator lighting up on the dash when you shifted from 2wd to 4H or 4L?

The FJcruiser forums seems to be convinced that it's the sensors on top of the tranny/t-case...but it seems odd those would just go out...

No, I had no lights on the dash at all when I tried to engage 4WD.
Masada
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Reply with quote

CeeFish wrote:
Masada wrote:
....When the unit finally died did you still get the 4wd indicator lighting up on the dash when you shifted from 2wd to 4H or 4L?

No, I had no lights on the dash at all when I tried to engage 4WD.

Good to know, thanks for the help everyone. I have the new ADD, but i"m going to see if the dealer will install it and do some diagnostics and pay for the part. After all the 4wd should have been working when I picked it up and clearly it wasn't.

On a side note, those budbuilt skids are easy to get off, but gosh dang are the thin...not used to that. The Taco skid plates were much beefier (all pro skids).

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Reply with quote

First time I've ever heard anyone call BudBuilt skids thin.. then I went and looked. It seems Bud offers several materials for the skids, to fit the intended use.

Steel 3/16" (4.76mm) thick (I believe these are the OG heavy skids)
Lite Steel 1/8" (3.175mm) thick (I'm guessing that is on your truck)
Stainless Steel 3/16" (4.76mm) thick
Aluminum 1/4" (6.35mm) thick
Masada
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 4x4 not engaging...anyone have that problem? Reply with quote

Day 1 back at the dealer the truck is at the mechanics shop and they can’t figure out why it’s not engaging 4wd.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: