Saturday, December 16, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Jyoung
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1995

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 64
Total: 65
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: 4GaugeSurprise > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Brake hardline issues
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Brake hardline issues
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yellowmk2
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Brake hardline issues Reply with quote

Was out wheeling today and when i hopped back down into a wash the hardline for my rf brake sheared in half. Got a buddy to take me back out to a parts store and bought 2 new lines. Everything bled fine and away we went climbing some steep stuff. Back on the dirt road coming out, the exact same thing happens. The 3rd line worked to get me home but clearly there is a bigger issue. Any ideas?
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Brake hardline issues Reply with quote

A picture or two might help, but sounds like there's some interference somewhere with the brake line, like maybe your suspension? Is it aftermarket or stock?

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
Yellowmk2
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Brake hardline issues Reply with quote

spaldam wrote:
A picture or two might help, but sounds like there's some interference somewhere with the brake line, like maybe your suspension? Is it aftermarket or stock?

Icon 2.5 but have run for many miles with it and never an issue
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake hardline issues Reply with quote

But were you pushing it harder than ever before when they were breaking? You might need some extended brake lines, or make sure they aren't sticking out too far.

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
Yellowmk2
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake hardline issues Reply with quote

spaldam wrote:
But were you pushing it harder than ever before when they were breaking? You might need some extended brake lines, or make sure they aren't sticking out too far.

No, was actually a lot easier than I typically am. It is not the rubber line it is the actual steel brake hardline that goes from the caliper to the spindle. I don't think there is anyway to extend that distance?? Am I missing something?
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake hardline issues Reply with quote

Yellowmk2 wrote:
spaldam wrote:

No, was actually a lot easier than I typically am. It is not the rubber line it is the actual steel brake hardline that goes from the caliper to the spindle. I don't think there is anyway to extend that distance?? Am I missing something?

That's not something I hear about breaking all that often, let alone twice in a short period. Need to see what's changed with your suspension, or something nearby) to cause that in the first place. Maybe get the FJ up on jack stands to let the suspension fully extent then use a jack to cycle through the range of motion, see what could be happening.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Yellowmk2
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake hardline issues Reply with quote

Good thought on the jack stands and floor jack. Ill give it a shot
Yellowmk2
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake hardline issues. SOLVED Reply with quote

Yellowmk2 wrote:
Was out wheeling today and when i hopped back down into a wash the hardline for my rf brake sheared in half. Got a buddy to take me back out to a parts store and bought 2 new lines. Everything bled fine and away we went climbing some steep stuff. Back on the dirt road coming out, the exact same thing happens. The 3rd line worked to get me home but clearly there is a bigger issue. Any ideas?

Update, top bolt on caliper had sheared allowing caliper to move and break the line. Bolt didnt look snapped as the head was still sitiing in it. Problem solved
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake hardline issues. SOLVED Reply with quote

Yellowmk2 wrote:
Yellowmk2 wrote:

Update, top bolt on caliper had sheared allowing caliper to move and break the line. Bolt didnt look snapped as the head was still sitiing in it. Problem solved

How the hell did you.manage to break that? Dayum.

At least it's fixed now.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Yellowmk2
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake hardline issues. SOLVED Reply with quote

[quote="4GaugeSurprise"]
Yellowmk2 wrote:
Yellowmk2 wrote:

How the hell did you.manage to break that? Dayum.

At least it's fixed

I go hard
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: